What Book Have You Read Recently?

Great. So we can look forward to the wars and the toxification of our environment,

:rolleyes:
WE ALREADY HAVE THOSE:):(

He is making wars to cease to the extremity of the earth.
The bow he breaks apart and does cut the spear in pieces;
The wagons he burns in the fire. PSALM 46;9

Who would like to live in a world with no more war :)MEE :)

how about those who are ruining the earth , read revelation 11;18

and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.

What Book Have You Read Recently?
The bible it is most beneficial for MEE:)

I am almost finished reading Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner. Well, I viewed the movie last week and loved the motto of the story, which, if it could speak, would say, "There is a way to be good again." It is a story of redemption for Amir.

Hassan, the hazara, strikes me as the most pure hearted person on earth. Also, I learned more about the culture and history of Afganistan. The Hazaras, for instance, have mongolian anscestors who invaded Islamic countries during the 13th centuries which erased centuries of painstakingly aquired knowledge, and killed many families. So it is no wonder the so-called true Afgans hold such a hatred for these people to such an extent that Hassan is treated as an outcast of society.

Kites were also banned by the Taliban. But before these terrible events, the kite runner's feet dashed towards the kites they had clip'd under the light blue sky. It landed somewhere over a building, or home, where the enthusiastic winner would claim the kite as a prize of their own. Anyway, just some previews of what I am reading tonight. Good-night.

Afgan humor

OK. This is kind of funny.

". . .We fell silent for a while. Just when I thought he had fallen asleep, Farid chuckled. 'Agha, did you hear what Mullah Nasruddin did when his daughter came home and complained that her husband had beaten her?' I could feel him smiling in the dark and a smile of my own formed on my face. There wasn't an Afghan in the world who didn't know at least a few jokes about the bumbling mullah.

'What?'

'He beat her too, then sent her back to tell the husband that Mullah was no fool: If the bastard was going to beat his daughter, then Mullah would beat his wife in return.'

I laughed. Partly at the joke, partly at how Afghan humor never changed. Wars were waged, the Internet was invented, and a robot had rolled on the surface of Mars, and in Afganistan we were still telling Mullah Nasruddin jokes" (Hosseini 266)

I did a quick search on Mullah Nasruddin, because I had never heard of him. More jokes in the link.

Sufism/Nasrudin - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

I recently picked up a book I've had for a while, a discourse by Nathan of Breslov on the inner dimension of tefillin. It's based around one of Rebbe Nachman's stories. I expected it to be a bit dry but it's actually very good.

I just re-read Ayn Rand's Anthem at Project Gutenberg. (I think all of the fine print and disclaimers from Project Gutenberg are longer than this short novella.)

Heh. I may have to look at that, although I have an aversion to Ayn Rand, which can't really be fair since I've never ever even read anything by her. From what I know about her, though, she sickens me. Oh, and I guess it's not entirely true that I haven't read anything by her. I read a very racist and elitist snippet of a speech she gave somewhere; it was quoted in the Derrick Jensen book I finished recently (more info on that above).

Currently I am working my way slowly through Ward Chuchill's collection, From a Native Son: Selected Essays on Indigenism 1985-1995. It's important stuff, I think, but the essays are on the whole more academic than I find comfortable, which is why I'm reading it slowly.

More to my taste, I recently started In the Absence of the Sacred: The Failure of Technology & the Survival of the Indian Nations by Jerry Mander. His style fuses the personal with the critical and theoretical, which is an apporach I really like and find readable. That kind of writing seems really accessible and solid to me.

Finally finished the Chronicles of Narnia, just in time I see for the release of Prince Caspian in the theaters. I'm not sure what I think about them, having spent so much time engrossed in Tolkien, Lewis' works just seem a little short, a little...childish?...to me. I will say, the last book, I think it was titled "the Final Battle" or some such, began as most the others, but the ending was not at all what I had come to expect. The Christian theme was very pronounced, but in that vein it was also very hopeful. I found at that point I finally couldn't put the book down. It's just unfortunate it took several short stories to get to that point.

Maybe had I not been weaned first on Middle Earth I might not be as harsh. Narnia was fun, but exceptionally light weight in my opinion.

I so seldom do "story books," so what is my next? A borrowed Stephen King book... :rolleyes: ..."Bag of Bones." I'm barely into it, but so far not impressed. But then, long ago I only read "Christine," "Pet Semetary" and "It," all of which were movies as well.

I worked on a textbook that a visually impaired student needed for an accounting class (the text was concerning income tax code.) I have a whole new respect for CPAs.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Accounting, ugh...my most dreaded bugaboo, next to Statistics. So what did I do, masochist me? Took Accounting 1,2 and 3.

And I still can't balance my checkbook! :D

Just got home from reading a textbook about the United Nations for a political science major (that was fun.) It was for the same program as the accounting major.

Next week, perhaps it'll be back to accounting. :rolleyes:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Will the real Jesus please stand up?

This book is a recorded debate on the resurrection. I am getting prepared to clash with Christian orthodoxy :)D).

12 books :p (all audio lol)

Invaders plan - L R Hubbard.
Black Genisis - L R Hubbard.
An alien affair - L R Hubbard.
The enemy within - L R Hubbard.
Fortune of fear - L R Hubbard
Death Quest - L R Hubbard.
Voyage of Vengence - L R Hubbard.
Disaster - L R Hubbard.
Villany victorious - L R Hubbard.
Doomed planet - L R Hubbard.
Dianetics - L R Hubbard.
Slant on life - L R Hubbard...... Yes, I have been on a downloading rampage lol.

lol if you haven't noticed the pattern.... I am looking into Scientology as I have recently found there was so little I really knew about them... This shocked me, that I allowed others to sway my thoughts on something I didn't know about, and what they really didn't know about.... So I want to see them from a fair and just light.

12 books :p (all audio lol)

Invaders plan - L R Hubbard.
Black Genisis - L R Hubbard.
An alien affair - L R Hubbard.
The enemy within - L R Hubbard.
Fortune of fear - L R Hubbard
Death Quest - L R Hubbard.
Voyage of Vengence - L R Hubbard.
Disaster - L R Hubbard.
Villany victorious - L R Hubbard.
Doomed planet - L R Hubbard.
Dianetics - L R Hubbard.
Slant on life - L R Hubbard...... Yes, I have been on a downloading rampage lol.

lol if you haven't noticed the pattern.... I am looking into Scientology as I have recently found there was so little I really knew about them... This shocked me, that I allowed others to sway my thoughts on something I didn't know about, and what they really didn't know about.... So I want to see them from a fair and just light.

pmsl :D u crack me up dude...

Back