Votes: 9 37.5%
  • 30-69% - Fairly confident, but often has doubts

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 1-29% - Not confident, Serious doubts about God's existence

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 0% - There is absolutely no God.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
How would YOU explain the God shaped vacuum?

(anyone can answer)

I'm always keen to make a fool of myself but I need to understand the question first...(I know I'm going to regret this...)

Hobbes.;)

Dondi said:
How confident are your that a God of some kind exists?

Dondi said:
I'm really curious to know how some of you are voting 100%. That is what really interests me. How can you be so damned sure?

Life. The fact that there is Life. No matter how I look at it, there is no denying a Life-force.

InPeace,
InLove

My type of faith.... is 70% - 99%........ I voted before I read your post, lol because I am rebel1$!£"$£!$! lol.... Sorry When looking at the polls imagine one less on 70% - 99% and one more on 1% - 29%

I was expecting a 0% from you, 17th. I thought you didn't believe in God.

I am 99% sure that there exists a Divine Source of some type. That remaining 1% of doubt is to remind myself to think for myself. Doubt makes a fine mistress, but a horrible wife.

Good Lord, almost half of the pollsters are 100% confident! I think maybe I'm with John Grey on that 99%. Now I've felt the love of God, seen prayers answered, read accounts those who've had encounters with angels or NDEs, seen the changes in my own heart and life, pondered the creation of nature, etc. etc. But unless I've seen God in a burning bush or perhaps had an unusual NDE myself, in other words, concrete evidence, I don't think I can say 100%. There has to be a little room for faith, doesn't there?

Dondi said:
But unless I've seen God in a burning bush or perhaps had an unusual NDE myself, in other words, concrete evidence, I don't think I can say 100%. There has to be a little room for faith, doesn't there?

Dondi, to me, the evidence of (how did you put it--"some kind of God"?) is concrete simply because there is Life. How one sees that God, whether it be all of us, the universe, a cranky old bearded man, Mother Earth, or what have you is perhaps where faith comes in. In other words, what or Who ultimately Is or gives Life? Just my thoughts....

InPeace,
InLove

I don't think I can say 100%. There has to be a little room for faith, doesn't there?
I'm wondering if you phrased this correctly...how do you equate faith with doubt? If you don't have a certainty do you have faith? Faith in what is unseen doesn't mean doubt in what is unseen does it?

I'm wondering if you phrased this correctly...how do you equate faith with doubt? If you don't have a certainty do you have faith? Faith in what is unseen doesn't mean doubt in what is unseen does it?

Coming from a Christian construct, of course:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" - Hebrews 11:1

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm wondering if God makes His face hid so that we go looking for Him, through all our uncertainties. Doubting Thomas needed evidence, which provoke Jesus to reply, "Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:29). Faith is discovering that the ice is safe to walk on without testing it, though you know in theory that the prolonged cold temperatures and the characteristics of the lake had proven to be reliable in the past. But you won't know until you step out on the ice and see. I am reminded of the father whose son had an evil spirit in him and the father came to Jesus asking for help:

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

It seems a contradiction, doesn't it. But it's like the father is waiting for confirmation.

Dondi said:
Faith is discovering that the ice is safe to walk on without testing it, though you know in theory that the prolonged cold temperatures and the characteristics of the lake had proven to be reliable in the past. But you won't know until you step out on the ice and see.

This is along the lines of what I was trying to say. I mean, I can see that Something makes Life possible. In my experience, the "faith factor" is trusting in the character of of that "Something". :)

I'm always keen to make a fool of myself but I need to understand the question first...(I know I'm going to regret this...)

Hobbes.;)

"There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal, French mathematician, philosoper, and physicist 1622-1662

"There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal, French mathematician, philosoper, and physicist 1622-1662

Merci.

s.

"Where there is great doubt, there will be great awakening; small doubt, small awakening, no doubt, no awakening."

- Zen proverb.​

s.​

"Where there is great doubt, there will be great awakening; small doubt, small awakening, no doubt, no awakening."

- Zen proverb.​

s.​

I wonder if a companion poll would be necessary here. One that read: How confident are you that you understand That-Which-Is.;)

Back