Origins of Jesus Christ

Raven, you will have to excuse me, I don't follow you completely, lets blame the fact that I'm not a native English speaker.
I understand where Operacast is coming from, he/she isn't a spiritual person but believes the validity of certain documents that account for a man called Jesus that started a "cult" that turned into the Christian faith. Ergo, Operacast believes that there was a man called Jesus but he wasn't the son of god.

You on the other hand don't believe these documents, but I still don't see why there wasn't a man called Jesus who was the source of the Christian faith? Your criticism of the documents:

He uses this passage in Evangelical Demonstration Book (3) page 124:
"Certainly the attestions I have already produced concerning our saviour may be sufficent. However, it may not be amiss, if, over and above, we make use of Josephus the Jew for a further witness."

Whats wrong with this? At first glance nothing. But if you remove the forged passage and re-read the text it makes more sense. So whats the problem with it?
isn't really any evidence by itself, more of a interpretation of the facts. Do you feel logically or in your heart that you are absolutely certain there was no man called Jesus who started the Christian "cult"? Why do you believe this and how do you htink it all started?

Raven, you will have to excuse me, I don't follow you completely, lets blame the fact that I'm not a native English speaker.
I understand where Operacast is coming from, he/she isn't a spiritual person but believes the validity of certain documents that account for a man called Jesus that started a "cult" that turned into the Christian faith. Ergo, Operacast believes that there was a man called Jesus but he wasn't the son of god.

You on the other hand don't believe these documents, but I still don't see why there wasn't a man called Jesus who was the source of the Christian faith? Your criticism of the documents:

isn't really any evidence by itself, more of a interpretation of the facts. Do you feel logically or in your heart that you are absolutely certain there was no man called Jesus who started the Christian "cult"? Why do you believe this and how do you htink it all started?

I as well understand where he's coming from but that does not change the fact that no jesus existed at the time that fit the christian one's mo! Using Josephus as supporting evidence is a fatal flaw in the argument for a jesus especially since Josephus himself was not born until some years before the death of this supposed christian god man.

Your criticism of the documents:

isn't really any evidence by itself, more of a interpretation of the facts.
That so. You ever wonder why nothing was wrote about him until he was no longer a man? Were there jesus during this time? Yes. Was there one fitting the christian mo? No. I would hard call Euseibus an interpretation of the facts especially since he wrote what I posted by his own hand.

You will never get people to understand this simply because the church has had 2000 years to cement this myth into the minds of the faithful. Sadly I had a computer crash and have lost all of my research on this and my mind is not what it use to be.

Would you consider yourself a good and reliable witness to the historical events that happened before you were born? Of course not. Josephus cannot have known Jesus, he was born at least one year before the death of Jesus in 36 CE. Isn't the ambiguity of the death date of Jesus a little worrying too? The single most important date in the history of life on Earth if you are to believe the hype and they are not even particularly clear about when it was!
Jesus The Man, Jesus the Myth

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In a single paragraph (the so-called Testimonium Flavianum) Josephus confirms every salient aspect of the Christ-myth:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Jesus's existence 2. his 'more than human' status 3. his miracle working 4. his teaching 5. his ministry among the Jews and the Gentiles 6. his Messiahship 7. his condemnation by the Jewish priests 8. his sentence by Pilate 9. his death on the cross 10. the devotion of his followers 11. his resurrection on the 3rd day 12. his post-death appearance 13. his fulfillment of divine prophecy 14. the successful continuance of the Christians.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In just 127 words Josephus confirms everything – now that is a miracle![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not a single writer before the 4th century[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]– not Justin, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Cyprian, Arnobius, etc. – in all their defences against pagan hostility, makes a single reference to Josephus’ wondrous words.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The third century Church 'Father' Origen, for example, spent half his life and a quarter of a million words contending against the pagan writer Celsus. Origen drew on all sorts of proofs and witnesses to his arguments in his fierce defence of Christianity. He quotes from Josephus extensively. Yet even he makes no reference to this 'golden paragraph' from Josephus, which would have been the ultimate rebuttal. In fact, Origen actually said that Josephus was "not believing in Jesus as the Christ."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Origen did not quote the 'golden paragraph' because this paragraph had not yet been written.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It was absent from early copies of the works of Josephus and did not appear in Origen's third century version of Josephus, referenced in his Contra Celsum. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In fact, the Josephus paragraph about Jesus does not appear until the beginning of the fourth century, at the time of Constantine. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bishop Eusebius, that great Church propagandist and self-confessed liar-for-god, was the first person known to have quoted this paragraph of Josephus, about the year 340 AD. This was after the Christians had become the custodians of religious correctness. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whole libraries of antiquity were torched by the Christians. Yet unlike the works of his Jewish contemporaries, the histories of Josephus survived. They survived because the Christian censors had a use for them. They planted evidence on Josephus, turning the leading Jewish historian of his day into a witness for Jesus Christ ! Finding no references to Jesus anywhere in Josephus's genuine work, they interpolated a brief but all-embracing reference based purely on Christian belief. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Do we need to look any further to identify Eusebius himself as the forger? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanctioned by the imperial propagandist every Christian commentator for the next thirteen centuries accepted unquestioningly the entire Testimonium Flavianum, along with its declaration that Jesus “was the Messiah.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And even in the twenty first century scholars who should know better trot out a truncated version of the 'golden paragraph' in a scurrilous attempt to keep Josephus 'on message.'[/FONT]
Non-Christian Testimony for Jesus? – From the authentic pen of lying Christian scribes !!

There are going to be brain washed masses who see an ancient historian mention the name jesus christ and they immediately assume that this person was a major eyewitness to the man himself. Second hand hearsay is not going to cut it.

There are going to be brain washed masses who see an ancient historian mention the name jesus christ and they immediately assume that this person was a major eyewitness to the man himself. Second hand hearsay is not going to cut it.

thats funny considering how much you copied and pasted.

its pretty clear the Jesus Christ of the Bible existed, whats is questionable though is what you believe about him.

Which one? Believe as will he was a lie. No amount of evidence is going to convince the brain washed its that simple. Answer these if you can:

(1). Something in his own handwriting?
(2). What did he look like/ Surely if all these claims are true some one saw him?
(3). Paul wrote the Epistles. Wheres the facts of his life in all that?
(4). Being a carpenter where is something he built?
(5). If Jesus is fact where is (1). Scientific evidence to support it? and (2). Pagans and others had like god men.

Works forged in the names of the Apostles and Christ.

Dean Millman, Chrisitan Historian writes:
"Pious fraud was admitted and and avowed."

Rev Dr Giles writes:
"There can be no doubt that great numbers of books were then written with no other view than to deceive."

Robert Smith, Professor, says "There was an enormous floating mass of spurious literature created to suit party views."

With all that you did not read a word I posted in the prior post you assume the fable you have been fed all your life to be true. The origin of this christ is simple if you look beyond the lies created to support it. Christianity had nothing to cement its place so it had to have a central figure thus they created this myth.

Which one? Believe as will he was a lie. No amount of evidence is going to convince the brain washed its that simple. Answer these if you can:

(1). Something in his own handwriting?
(2). What did he look like/ Surely if all these claims are true some one saw him?
(3). Paul wrote the Epistles. Wheres the facts of his life in all that?
(4). Being a carpenter where is something he built?
(5). If Jesus is fact where is (1). Scientific evidence to support it? and (2). Pagans and others had like god men.

Works forged in the names of the Apostles and Christ.

Dean Millman, Chrisitan Historian writes:
"Pious fraud was admitted and and avowed."

Rev Dr Giles writes:
"There can be no doubt that great numbers of books were then written with no other view than to deceive."

Robert Smith, Professor, says "There was an enormous floating mass of spurious literature created to suit party views."

With all that you did not read a word I posted in the prior post you assume the fable you have been fed all your life to be true. The origin of this christ is simple if you look beyond the lies created to support it. Christianity had nothing to cement its place so it had to have a central figure thus they created this myth.

your dreaming mate, its pretty clear that the Jesus Christ of the Bible existed.

To dispute this fact is an act of supreme stupidity :)

the real question is what do you believe about this person Jesus Christ ?

your dreaming mate, its pretty clear that the Jesus Christ of the Bible existed.

To dispute this fact is an act of supreme stupidity :)

the real question is what do you believe about this person Jesus Christ ?

Not going to bandy words. To believe it is the utmost stupidity. You cannot answer those five questions I posted so the verdict is in jesus of the bible IS A LIE!

Not going to bandy words.

now thats not true is it

To believe it is the utmost stupidity.

not at all the power of Belief can move mountains.

are your own cherished beliefs stupid ?

You cannot answer those five questions I posted so the verdict is in jesus of the bible IS A LIE!

The Jesus of the Bible is not a lie, however the Jesus of the Bible is clearly our of your mind.

Most scholars agree that the Jesus of the Bible existed, what is in dispute though is what do you believe about him, not whether he existed or not.

memes-ive-seen-enough-hentai.jpg
memes-ready-for-the-raptor-i-mean-rapture.jpg

"The three references to this passage, with direct word-for-word quotation of the key phrase, are in Origen Contra Celsum I.4, Contra Celsum II:13 and in Commentarium in evangelium Matthaei X.17. In each case he directly quotes the phrase used in Josephus: "αδελφος Ιησου του λεγομενου Χριστου" ("the brother of that Jesus who was called Messiah")." ...

But we do have a distinctly consistent body of texts among the non-Biblicals, like Josephus's Antiquities XX, like Tacitus, like Pliny, like Suetonius, etc.....

That is the Jesus whom the documentary evidence points to as the most plausible. And that is the Jesus -- the strictly human Jesus -- whom the widely atheist/skeptic sector of the secular professional academic scholarly community of today takes to be the most likely individual, entirely historical, to have stirred up trouble and been executed during the reign of Tiberius.

I was not aware of the three (3!) Josephus-ditto-phrases in Origen. Those are quite important. However, Tacitus, Pliny, et al., can testify only to what Christians believed about Jesus, which of course was that he was a historical figure. With a twist, Celsus also testifies — indirectly — to Jesus' historicity when he brings up the Pantera story. :D

These pre-Constantine references of Origen's to Josephus's Antiquities XX put Josephus's autobiographical Antiquities XX account of James in a totally different class from the questionable Antiquities XVIII.... Contrast that with the straightforward textual history for the autobiographical account of James in Josephus's Antiquities XX: no textual variants for any version of that passage at all, and the earliest outside reference -- three of them -- from Origen, when Christianity was still underground.

Your points are persuasive, although characterizing Christianity as being "underground" in the time of Origen doesn't help at all.

I as well understand where he's coming from but that does not change the fact that no jesus existed at the time that fit the christian one's mo! Using Josephus as supporting evidence is a fatal flaw in the argument for a jesus especially since Josephus himself was not born until some years before the death of this supposed christian god man.

That so. You ever wonder why nothing was wrote about him until he was no longer a man? Were there jesus during this time? Yes. Was there one fitting the christian mo? No. I would hard call Euseibus an interpretation of the facts especially since he wrote what I posted by his own hand.

You will never get people to understand this simply because the church has had 2000 years to cement this myth into the minds of the faithful. Sadly I had a computer crash and have lost all of my research on this and my mind is not what it use to be.

Jesus The Man, Jesus the Myth

Non-Christian Testimony for Jesus? – From the authentic pen of lying Christian scribes !!

Uh-huh, I see. Evidently, for you, caps lock is the only way to get through: FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME, I'M TALKING ABOUT JOSEPHUS'S AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL ACCOUNT OF JAMES'S EXECUTION IN JOSEPHUS'S ANTIQUITIES XX. YOU'RE TALKING -- AND TALKING AND TALKING AND TALKING -- ABOUT THE PARAGRAPH IN ANTIQUITIES XVIII, WHICH IS A THIRD-HAND ACCOUNT OF THE JESUS EPISODE HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH JOSEPHUS'S PERSONAL ENCOUNTER WITH JAMES AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO -- FINALLY -- GET THE DIFFERENCE? ANTIQUITIES XX IS ABOUT JAMES, IS AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL, IS FREE OF EXTANT TEXTUAL VARIANTS, AND CAN BOAST THREE -- THREE -- EARLY OUTSIDE CONFIRMATIONS THAT ARE

PRE-

CONSTANTINE. ANTIQUITIES XVIII DOES NOT INVOLVE JAMES, AND IS THEREFORE NOT AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL, HAS TROUBLING EXTANT TEXTUAL VARIANTS, AND HAS ONLY ONE EARLY EXTANT CONFIRMATION WHICH IS

POST-

CONSTANTINE.

I'M ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE FORMER -- ANTIQUITIES XX -- AND YOU ALWAYS REVERT TO THE LATTER -- ANTIQUITIES XVIII. WHY? AND WHEN WILL YOU FINALLY -- FINALLY -- GET THE DISTINCTION? HOW MANY MORE TIMES ARE WE GOING TO GO AROUND ON THIS MERRY-GO-ROUND?

Operacast

I as well understand where he's coming from but that does not change the fact that no jesus existed at the time that fit the christian one's mo!

Perhaps you were reading too fast, Operacast agreed with that point. I agree also. The god-man portrayed in the New Testament is a fiction. However, that god-man does not, and should not, be conflated with the historical figure when "doing" history. And that is what I want to tease out, the Jesus of History, not the Christ of Faith.

I was not aware of the three (3!) Josephus-ditto-phrases in Origen. Those are quite important. However, Tacitus, Pliny, et al., can testify only to what Christians believed about Jesus, which of course was that he was a historical figure. With a twist, Celsus also testifies — indirectly — to Jesus' historicity when he brings up the Pantera story. :D

A story which is not entirely unlikely, BTW.

Cheers,

Operacast

I notice some other pasted graphics. Perhaps the forum has restrictions on what formats/sizes can be used. There may be something about that in the FAQs.

They are welcome to delete them....

Or at least, not a biological son of god in the way understood by most fundamentalists. I trust modern scholarship from the professional modern largely skeptical and entirely secular academic community more than I do the more traditional take by however many traditional believers. Modern scholarship has unearthed a few rather interesting textual patterns that were not initially expected, and when rigorous modern research results in certain unexpected answers, I trust that more than when scholars advance arguments that merely reinforce previous assumptions.

To wit: the most modern scholarship started, essentially, in the last third of the twentieth century, with an analysis of the original Koine Greek style in what appear to be the earliest textual strata as determined by the level of colloquialisms in certain texts, suggestive of an oral-transfer origin, versus a later more self-conscious literary style, suggestive of written accounts with more of an agenda behind them. As a result, the earliest textual strata appear to be the earliest Paulines (like 1 Corinthians), the non-canonical Gospel of Thomas (although not all modern scholars are agreed on this), the earliest extant Sinaiticus/Vaticanus version of Mark, the parallel sayings found in Matthew and Luke, sometimes referenced as the "Q" sayings ("Q" standing for the German "Quelle", which means "source"), and the Antiquities of Josephus.

From these, a pattern emerges related to Jesus's own sayings as seen in these earliest strata. These earliest sayings emphasize heavily the theme of social conscience (for instance, sayings like "first shall be last and the last shall be first", "give up your life in order to save it", and "love your enemies" are all found in these earliest strata). At the same time, there is no sign in these same strata of grand pronouncements like "I am the way" or [paraphrase] "He who has seen me has seen the Father", etc. Concepts like these seem to come along later.

All that was not necessarily unexpected. What was unexpected was something in addition: In the earliest apparent strata, the emphasis on social conscience is apparently twinned with an occasional emphasis on a relationship of sorts with god that does fall short of biological "son"-ship, while still, surprisingly, not totally innocent of an implied closer relationship to god than that of the ordinary human being. Clearly, this surprising textual pattern has no bearing, one way or the other, on what Jesus's actual status may have been. But it does have a bearing on what Jesus's own personal take on his status may have been! What comes from these earliest textual strata are Jesus remarks like "no man knows who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him" and "I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father has appointed unto me; that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom". This does not suggest biological son-ship, but it does suggest that Jesus in the earliest strata is already personally ready to imply a degree of "chosen"ness for himself, at the least.

This does mean, then, after all, that an assessment as to Jesus's sanity may be needed in evaluating his own apparent estimation of himself as having some kind of closeness to god above the ordinary. To do this, one probably has to evaluate both the sanity of his pronouncements on social conscience and also these stray remarks of his on "chosen"ness together as a single unit, since scholarship now suggests that they started as a single unit in their earliest textual history. Do they all, together, suggest someone more delusional than enlightened or vice versa? They evidently cannot be separated, because -- very much unlike the clearly later and clearly written-out and more literary extravagances like the Virgin Birth stories (which now appear to be extremely late, stylistically), and the equally late remarks like "I am the way", etc. -- remarks like "Love your enemies" and "no man knows who the son is" are equally part of the same early textual package. If anything came from Jesus's own words at all, these remarks are among the most likely ones to have done so.

So, is Jesus sane or insane?

If Jesus is sane, does he necessarily mean the same thing when he talks vaguely of the "Father" as we do when we talk of "god"?

Is it possible to be sane and still be merely mistaken in believing in the kind of "chosen"ness for oneself implied in these earliest somewhat nebulous remarks of his?

I don't pretend to know the answers to any of that. But I do feel that we turn our back recklessly on the most modern and rigorous analysis that's out there if we don't address these questions in this new and useful context.

Operacast

Or at least, not a biological son of god in the way understood by most fundamentalists. I trust modern scholarship from the professional modern largely skeptical and entirely secular academic community more than I do the more traditional take by however many traditional believers. Modern scholarship has unearthed a few rather interesting textual patterns that were not initially expected, and when rigorous modern research results in certain unexpected answers, I trust that more than when scholars advance arguments that merely reinforce previous assumptions.

To wit: the most modern scholarship started, essentially, in the last third of the twentieth century, with an analysis of the original Koine Greek style in what appear to be the earliest textual strata as determined by the level of colloquialisms in certain texts, suggestive of an oral-transfer origin, versus a later more self-conscious literary style, suggestive of written accounts with more of an agenda behind them. As a result, the earliest textual strata appear to be the earliest Paulines (like 1 Corinthians), the non-canonical Gospel of Thomas (although not all modern scholars are agreed on this), the earliest extant Sinaiticus/Vaticanus version of Mark, the parallel sayings found in Matthew and Luke, sometimes referenced as the "Q" sayings ("Q" standing for the German "Quelle", which means "source"), and the Antiquities of Josephus.

From these, a pattern emerges related to Jesus's own sayings as seen in these earliest strata. These earliest sayings emphasize heavily the theme of social conscience (for instance, sayings like "first shall be last and the last shall be first", "give up your life in order to save it", and "love your enemies" are all found in these earliest strata). At the same time, there is no sign in these same strata of grand pronouncements like "I am the way" or [paraphrase] "He who has seen me has seen the Father", etc. Concepts like these seem to come along later.

All that was not necessarily unexpected. What was unexpected was something in addition: In the earliest apparent strata, the emphasis on social conscience is apparently twinned with an occasional emphasis on a relationship of sorts with god that does fall short of biological "son"-ship, while still, surprisingly, not totally innocent of an implied closer relationship to god than that of the ordinary human being. Clearly, this surprising textual pattern has no bearing, one way or the other, on what Jesus's actual status may have been. But it does have a bearing on what Jesus's own personal take on his status may have been! What comes from these earliest textual strata are Jesus remarks like "no man knows who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him" and "I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father has appointed unto me; that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom". This does not suggest biological son-ship, but it does suggest that Jesus in the earliest strata is already personally ready to imply a degree of "chosen"ness for himself, at the least.

This does mean, then, after all, that an assessment as to Jesus's sanity may be needed in evaluating his own apparent estimation of himself as having some kind of closeness to god above the ordinary. To do this, one probably has to evaluate both the sanity of his pronouncements on social conscience and also these stray remarks of his on "chosen"ness together as a single unit, since scholarship now suggests that they started as a single unit in their earliest textual history. Do they all, together, suggest someone more delusional than enlightened or vice versa? They evidently cannot be separated, because -- very much unlike the clearly later and clearly written-out and more literary extravagances like the Virgin Birth stories (which now appear to be extremely late, stylistically), and the equally late remarks like "I am the way", etc. -- remarks like "Love your enemies" and "no man knows who the son is" are equally part of the same early textual package. If anything came from Jesus's own words at all, these remarks are among the most likely ones to have done so.

So, is Jesus sane or insane?

If Jesus is sane, does he necessarily mean the same thing when he talks vaguely of the "Father" as we do when we talk of "god"?

Is it possible to be sane and still be merely mistaken in believing in the kind of "chosen"ness for oneself implied in these earliest somewhat nebulous remarks of his?

I don't pretend to know the answers to any of that. But I do feel that we turn our back recklessly on the most modern and rigorous analysis that's out there if we don't address these questions in this new and useful context.

Operacast

So what is your point with this? Are you basing your claim of a Christian God man on the fact that the NT was written in Greek? Or are you basing it on Matthew,Mark and Luke? I have ignored most or all of that as BS simple because thats what it is.

So what is your point with this? Are you basing your claim of a Christian God man on the fact that the NT was written in Greek? Or are you basing it on Matthew,Mark and Luke? I have ignored most or all of that as BS simple because thats what it is.

Nothing that you say here has anything at all to do with anything I've said here. I'm talking here about Jesus's apparent self-image of himself, which has nothing to do with what he may or may not have actually been -- an entirely different question. It's obvious that you're making no effort to understand the first thing that I'm saying here. So either you're hopelessly stupid or you're pretending to be. Either way, you're a waste of my time and this board's.

From now on, I'll address others' points here, not yours.

Bye.

Operacast

Operacast and A Cup of Tea,

Very interesting discussion. My bride and I often use the terms "Father" or "Mother" when discussing or speaking with the divine. Does this make us insane? I personally do not see evidence of either "Choseness" nor "Insanity". Most of the earliest words attributed to Christ Jesus (I use the five gospels) may not be his at all (yeah, I know the Jesus Seminar is controversial but they are much better at Aramaic and Greek than I). And those the JS accepts are pretty much a close representation of a man with one foot in Judaism and one in Hellenism. I believe the Jesus-to-Gnostic-to-Mani stream is sufficent (if not conclusive evidence) for a claim that he spoke "The Good News".

Pax et amor vincunt omnia. radarmark

Back