human nature - inherently good or evil?

Most of the writings of the Christian Mystics meet that criteria, and I believe this is what Thomas is alluding to. Like Gregory of Nyssa, "Cloud of Unknowing", "Imitattion of Christ", Catherine of Siena, Julian or Norwich, Boehme, Eckhardt, Avila, St John of the Cross, and, of course, all the early Quakers. I'd put them (in terms of teaching the fine art of the mystic) in front of GoT.

What have any of them said that surpasses GoT?

Please cite examples as simple and beautiful as what Thomas has written.

Inherently empty, thus full of possibilities. (unless, of course, you are full of something else, then the only possibility is to be emptied.)

Why the need for "thus"?

It is scientific fact that all atoms are 99.99999999999% empty, you have turned it into something philosophical but it is simply the case. This is naught but projection...

here are links to a couple of sites with "out of copywright" texts.

Free Christian Mystic Books The Quaker Mystics

"It is tragic how few people ever ‘possess their souls’ before they die… Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation..."

This is something I go on saying, very valuable for people to understand in themselves...

Nothing I am seeing on these sites comes close to Thomas though, sorry. They are very much unconscious statements of devotion, they appeal to the mind but not the heart/soul. When I read something of the spirit, there is a tingle throughout and literally illumination spots around my line of vision - it has become a great guiding for me - these texts are utterly dead.

Thomas and I experience it quite different. In the time you have had all you could have done is read or skimmed. Do you want (a) poetry, (b) mystical teachings, (c) rules for living, or (d) a description of their experience. Let me know, this will take time to research.

I live with these (and other) texts, dissect and live them so (1) I can understand how my experiences fit in with others' or (2) I can get triggered.

Pax et amore omnia vincunt.

Why the need for "thus"?

It is scientific fact that all atoms are 99.99999999999% empty, you have turned it into something philosophical but it is simply the case. This is naught but projection...

Atoms are full of space.

Hmm, let's see what happens when space is compressed down by temporarily straightjacketing Lunitik into a ZIP file, and see if he is inherently good or inherently evil while straightjacketed...;)

seattlegal-albums-emoticons-picture1331-zip-file-image.jpg

Last edited:
Thomas and I experience it quite different. In the time you have had all you could have done is read or skimmed. Do you want (a) poetry, (b) mystical teachings, (c) rules for living, or (d) a description of their experience. Let me know, this will take time to research.

I live with these (and other) texts, dissect and live them so (1) I can understand how my experiences fit in with others' or (2) I can get triggered.

Pax et amore omnia vincunt.

a and b please

I see a bunch of descriptions of events, and statements about religion which are not useful... if you would like to show me what you consider valuable in these links, I would be grateful.

(note that for me, poetry is not simply rhyming verses, for me, poetry is the language of the heart - it tends to be incoherent if you attempt to understand it literally because it is an attempt to describe something which our language cannot express well in any other way)

Hmm, let's see what happens when space is compressed down by temporarily straightjacketing Lunatik into a ZIP file, and see if he is inherently good or inherently evil while straightjacketed...

You cannot be inherently a concept... neither good nor evil exist in any substantiated way, they are a description of our perception - and they differ from culture to culture!

As for atoms being filled with space, I agree because there is no difference in the statements. It is like the instance of the cup, is it half full or half empty? It is neither, it is simply in between the extremes of full and empty... it says something about the perceptions of the person how they will describe it, but in reality neither is correct - nothing about words is a reality, they only point - arguing semantics is boring.

You cannot be inherently a concept... neither good nor evil exist in any substantiated way, they are a description of our perception.
And you need the space in order to make sense of what you perceive. (In Buddhism, space/form is associated with consciousness. ;)

As for atoms being filled with space, I agree because there is no difference in the statements. It is like the instance of the cup, is it half full or half empty? It is neither, it is simply not at capacity... it says something about the perceptions of the person how they will describe it, but in reality neither is correct - nothing about words is a reality, they only point - arguing semantics is boring.
*doh* Wait until you hit your midlife crisis! The semantics of half-empty/half-full won't be so boring then!

And you need the space in order to make sense of what you perceive. (In Buddhism, space/form is associated with consciousness. ;)

Again, Buddhism and Science agreeing, only that in Science they say energy and Buddhism says consciousness. Matter is merely dense energy according to modern science, Buddha seems to have realized this and said it according to his own understanding/language.

*doh* Wait until you hit your midlife crisis! The semantics of half-empty/half-full won't be so boring then!

I do not see this will affect me, every day I am aware that tomorrow I may be dead, that today may be my last on this planet. This is what midlife crisis is about, thinking you have missed experiences in life and wanting to engage in them all before it is too late - they are about regretting missed opportunities and finding them again. I do not live like this, I take any opportunities I can and do not regret anything that happens - I see it as the only possible way things could have gone.

Mind is a constant doubter, act with intuition and leave mind out of the affair and automatically there can be no regrets because you will not doubt anything. Now you miss nothing, you know you have been total in everything and things could not have been different. Without an emphasis on future or past, midlife crisis are simply impossible. Now, only the present of now matters - this very second is a gift, but constantly mind causes us to miss it.

Also, I assure you I am not judging you though, I have made some assumptions and feel I am changing my mode of communication based on prior encounters, but I have no particular conception of you. I have only said I find it frustrating to communicate with you because you are too much literal in your understanding of my words - words have many meanings, but you will run with only one.
You do judge, and in person I would be especially disappointed if you didn't.

I do not project at all, although I often use assumptions to make a point - they are generally perfectly correct based on experience and observation of those around me.
I'd say you have yet to recognize some limitations with your perspective and the resulting fabrications (assumptions).

There is always a particular direction I am going with my words, I point out how to return to something balanced. If I see an extreme being emphasized, I will pull to the other extreme because humans like compromise - the middle ground between two extremes is truth, this is perhaps the most important thing we can learn from Buddha.
So if someone advises something from their perspective, then you have no perspective, but will just mechanically emphasize the opposite. That is interesting. I do not see anything good with that behavior. So then if a person emphasizes honesty, you will emphasize some dishonesty. If a person emphasizes faith, then you will emphasize having control. If a person emphasizes forgiving, then you will emphasize punishment. You think that truth is somewhere between these extremes? Your approach is to be mechanically reactive, and in doing so I'd say that your words are not your words, and you are not taking responsibility for what you say.

You do judge, and in person I would be especially disappointed if you didn't.

Then be disappointed, it is none of my concern.

I'd say you have yet to recognize some limitations with your perspective and the resulting fabrications (assumptions).

Why don't you explain some to me, then?

Either I will accept and grow through your recognition of these things, or I can show why your perspective is flawed - either way there is the possibility of taking the conversation towards something beneficial.

So if someone advises something from their perspective, then you have no perspective, but will just mechanically emphasize the opposite. That is interesting. I do not see anything good with that behavior. So then if a person emphasizes honesty, you will emphasize some dishonesty. If a person emphasizes faith, then you will emphasize having control. If a person emphasizes forgiving, then you will emphasize punishment. You think that truth is somewhere between these extremes? Your approach is to be mechanically reactive, and in doing so I'd say that your words are not your words, and you are not taking responsibility for what you say.

If you go to one extreme, to correct it I must pull in the other direction. Now, over the course of the discussion, we will arrive in the center but it will not be that I have been stubborn so your ego will not be offended - you will see it as a compromise and be grateful that both have gained.

My whole approach is to respond to whatsoever is happening, to remain inwardly centered. You are correct, often I cannot be responsible for my words, they are a mirroring of your own statements - just like in a mirror, everything is reversed and reflected back. Words are a way to communicate, you cannot possess them so saying "they are not your words" is irrelevant - they simply can never be yours.

Then be disappointed, it is none of my concern.
You have been sharing your judgment over massive groups of people: Eastern and Western hemispheres, and upon individuals here. It is interesting that you deny this.

Why don't you explain some to me, then?

Either I will accept and grow through your recognition of these things, or I can show why your perspective is flawed - either way there is the possibility of taking the conversation towards something beneficial.
I thought you understood this. I can't show you why your perspective is flawed. All I can do is point. If you wish to see what I see, then you should do what I do. If I wish to see what you see, then I should do what you do.

If you go to one extreme, to correct it I must pull in the other direction. Now, over the course of the discussion, we will arrive in the center but it will not be that I have been stubborn so your ego will not be offended - you will see it as a compromise and be grateful that both have gained.
You think you can correct someone else. I think you can only judge and grade per your viewpoint. A center or common ground is usually sought between people, but you claim to have it. I do not seek to be part good and part evil.

My whole approach is to respond to whatsoever is happening, to remain inwardly centered.
As I see it, you are indwardly conflicted.

You are correct, often I cannot be responsible for my words, they are a mirroring of your own statements - just like in a mirror, everything is reversed and reflected back. Words are a way to communicate, you cannot possess them so saying "they are not your words" is irrelevant - they simply can never be yours.
Your words are yours because they come from you. However, if you have parroted or mirrored someone elses words, without comparing and testing with your perspective, then you are merely revealing yourself to be a parrot, or a mirror. Do you think that is what Jesus or Buddha did? 'Never' and 'irrelevant' are rather extreme, so what happened to your alleged center?

You have been sharing your judgment over massive groups of people: Eastern and Western hemispheres, and upon individuals here. It is interesting that you deny this.

They are not judgments at all, they are devices based on a particular observation. If you seem to be of Western thought - which you are - I will go on pushing you to the East, if I see something of ego or similar I will push on it to make it more obvious.

It works the other way as well though, I will push Eastern thinkers towards the West - only the combination is a totality, only the integration is authentic.

I thought you understood this. I can't show you why your perspective is flawed. All I can do is point. If you wish to see what I see, then you should do what I do. If I wish to see what you see, then I should do what you do.

I have asked you to point because I think you will find simply in trying to justify how these are choices that none exists in reality. No one should ever emulate another though, there is nothing authentic about emulation. For one, even if you emulate exactly, you will not understand why the other is doing it - you will be bringing yourself into it.

You think you can correct someone else. I think you can only judge and grade per your viewpoint. A center or common ground is usually sought between people, but you claim to have it. I do not seek to be part good and part evil.

I cannot correct, I can simply attempt to cause you to correct yourself by seeing how the other side might also be valid. It is not about being half and half, it is a realization that both are invalid, it is to become whole. Much of what you have said is about being half, you should be giving and compromise and all these different divisions you see no problem with. You know evil to be wrong though, so you do not want to be half that - I simply say there is no such thing as good, it is in your mind only.

As I see it, you are indwardly conflicted.

This is not uncommon, it is because from the center it is equal distance to any periphery - and interaction is exactly that, a peripheral event.

Your words are yours because they come from you. However, if you have parroted or mirrored someone elses words, without comparing and testing with your perspective, then you are merely revealing yourself to be a parrot, or a mirror. Do you think that is what Jesus or Buddha did? 'Never' and 'irrelevant' are rather extreme, so what happened to your alleged center?

That's just it, words do not come from you at all, society has taught them to you and now you understand how to utilize them. I must use them to convey things to you, so it will seem like I am going into extremes but it is simply the flaw in this method of communication.

Yes, certainly Buddha will have mirrored what the other has said - this is plainly obvious in instances such as where he has told atheists there is a God and theists there is no God, always he is trying to cause the dropping of conclusions in the unattained. Jesus' whole method is different, you cannot really compare the two. Jesus teaches to go on growing in love so you can become nothingness, Buddha teaches to become nothingness so you can attain the whole. They are going in completely opposite directions, but both will come to the same place in the end. Even Jesus says to return to being as a child though, he simply doesn't appear to offer any devices for doing so... as if he simply expects you to know he references innocence, a lack of ready conclusions.

Have you read the Gospel of Thomas Thomas?{/quote]
Yes. Have you?

What other non canonical text that was passed up at the time would you put ahead of it?
I think the point rather is it was never considered for canonical inclusion.

Prior to GoT I would put the Shepherd of Hermas, which was considered canonical by Irenaeus.

Revelation, Jonah, Leviticus, Numbers, etc would be a long way down on the list?
They're canonical, and they're in a different class. I might question Revelation, but that's another story.

The Song of the Pearl, another attributed to Thomas, also makes him the hero of the story (rather than Jesus).

One over-arching facet of the attraction of the GoT is that it's packed with neat little 'spiritual soundbites' which is one reason for its popularity.

Like "A Little Book of Enlightenment", it says all the right things in that deep and meaningfully obscure way that sounds cool and really profound, but explains nothing, one can make of it what one will, or what one likes ...

God bless,

Thomas

What texts written by man could possibly be more spiritually luminous than the actual sayings of Jesus? (which the GoT supposedly contains)
The books that put those sayings in a typological, analogical and anagogical context.

God bless,

Thomas

I believe I used the imagery of a wheel, where the center is still while the circumference is busy. What can be more revealing than this?
Actually, two things:
The first is most telling:
The wheel is a symbol that lies in a single, horizontal, plane — it is a circle in which the fullness of its being is explored, but never transcended.

The second, I realise, is something about you, which I shall not publish, suffice to say it explains your sense of your own infallibility — you pick the wheel because you see your self as the centre of the cosmos, all being relates to your being.

With regard to symbols (as opposed to imagery) I would suggest the cross, which not only 'covers' the wheel, but brings out the axis upon which the wheel turns, allowing a pan- (as opposed to two-) dimensional activity, as well as opening up a meta-cosmology.

According to René Guénon, perhaps the foremost esoterist and metaphysician of the last couple of centuries, in most traditional doctrines the cross symbolises the realisation of 'Universal Man'.

The cross clearly represents the manner of achievement of this realisation by the perfect communion of all states of the being, harmoniously and conformably ranked, in integral expansion, in the double sense of "amplitude" and "exaltation".

This expansion of the being (and the eventual transcendence of being itself) takes place horizontally at the level or degree of existence, and vertically in the hierarchical superimposition of all the degrees (by incorporation into the highest, the Logos).

The horizontal represents "amplitude", or integral extension of the individuality taken as basis for realisation (in Christianity, it also signifies inclusion, in the arms spread wide), and the vertical represents hierarchy, likewise and a fortiori indefinite, of the multiples states of being.

Another view of the cross, defined by the equator and the line going through the poles, is tridimensional, linked to the six directions of space and the centre of the cross, through a symbolism that appears notably in the Hebraic kabbalah in relation to the "mystery of unity", in Christian mystagogy, and in Hindu doctrines as well (cf Romans 8:38).

Then, the symbol of the cross may develop according to different points of view: "union of the complements", with the vertical line representing the active principle and the horizontal line the passive principle, hence establishing an application of the general consideration of Purusha-Prakriti, Essence-Substance, the "resolution of the opposites", symbolized by the central point which corresponds to what Islamic esoterism calls the "Divine station", namely "that which combines contrasts and antinomies" (al-mâqam lillahi huwa mâqam ijtima 'al-diddâin): this station (mâqam), or degree of the being's effective realization, is attained by al-fanâ', that is, by the "extinction" of the ego in the return to the "primordial state"; such "extinction", writes René Guénon, even as regards the literal meaning of the term denoting it, is not without analogy to the Nirvâna of the Buddhist doctrine.

Beyond al-fanâ', there is still fanâ al-fanâ', the "extinction of the extinction", which similarly corresponds to "Parinirvâna". In the Far-Eastern tradition, the central point is called the "Invariable Middle" (Ching-Yin) which is the place of perfect equilibrium, represented as the center of the 'cosmic wheel', and is also, at the same time, the point where the 'Activity of Heaven' is directly manifested. This center directs all things by its "actionless activity" (wei wu wei), which although unmanifested, or rather because it is unmanifested, is in reality the plenitude of activity, since it is the activity of the Principle whence all activities are derived; Guénon notes that this has been expressed by Lao Tzu as follows: "The Principle is always actionless, yet everything is done by It". This "Invariable Middle" is also the locus of "Peace in the void", corresponding to what Islamic esoterism calls the "Great Peace".
The Symbolism of the Cross

+++
It is not problematic at all if you are not Christian.
No, quite true, but then, if you're not, it's irrelevant, isn't it? It's totally out of its paradigmatic context.

The appeal of the GoT is that it can mean anything you want it to.

What has surpassed the GoT? It contains everything that is necessary, it should be the first text all Christians read when they become intrigued by theosis - nothing I have seen within the Christian spectrum even comes close.
Lunitik, sometimes you say things which demonstrate just how little you know about what you presume to be an authority on ...

There are superior texts, but nothing Christianity has developed.
Feel free to show me I am wrong here...
Sadly, as you yourself have stated, you're not here to learn. And I'm not here to waste my time, and the list would exhaust the post word-count, and your patience, and you'd not understand a fraction of it, anyway.

Off the top of my head, anything from the Philokalia, let's see how poor an opinion you have of that ...

God bless,

Thomas

@Thomas

1) The wheel is a metaphor that delivers the imagery in a better way... if I try to use a sphere for the example it becomes more complicated.

2) The Bible says God is within each of us, that is the center of the wheel.

I will never choose the cross as a meaningful symbol, it is a murder device. The whole Christianity emphasizes it though, his sacrifice for you. It is to create a guilt so you will feel something for Jesus. The swastika is equally valid and far more ancient, I do not use that either though out of respect for Jews.

You don't understand, I have attained what your scriptures point to, why go back to scriptures? It is utterly bizarre to even consider. I am here to discuss ramifications of that, not to discover it. I am open to any insights you have from there, but that is not what you keep trying to discuss... you are attempting to educate me on Catholicism, I am simply not interested in that. I am interested in individual wisdom, what people have discovered outside those texts. If I wanted to read things you are quoting, I would just go to the source.

I am beginning to see this is a futile activity, it is an interfaith forum yet everyone goes on trying to say what is better about their particular faith. I can show through any religious text what I am saying, yet because it is not exactly aligned to any particular group, all will dispute what is said. I am bringing a synthesize to what I thought was a neutral forum, I am clearly mistaken.

Right now, the agreements are utterly on the periphery on these boards, whereas the real synthesis is at the very core. Through this, it cannot be that there is disagreement, it will simply be that it shows someone that has not arrived. Social behaviors are going to differ, every faith has been delivered to divergent peoples so the laws have echoed what is acceptable there. We can understand how these laws have come to be though if we do arrive at that core.

Then, that is all interfaith is really about isn't it? It is about becoming cordial and understanding of others, it is not about realizing every difference you imagine is simply false. I do not understand why such people are on an interfaith forum though, they should be on a forum that is more closed minded - uhh, more specific.

Back