Eat from the Tree of Knowledge and You Will Die?

Yes, the definition of the Scriptures, aka, the Word of God. Man has absolute freedom to do whatever he intends to do, as long as he is aware of the consequences as a result of the law of cause and effect. Even to kill himself, man is free to choose. If man has no freedom of will to refrain from doing evil, he is not a man but an irrational animal. Since God has granted us with the attribute of freewill, He does not interfere with man's choices in life. (Gen. 4:6,7; Deut. 30:15-19)
Ben
That's not really what I am getting at.
Free Will really means (or should anyhow) Freedom From Will (of another) because that is what the Serpent (Lucifer) is hinting at . . . that Man does not necessarily have to be under the Will of anyone other than their own and most of all of a Jealous (spiteful, violent, and controlling in my opinion as well) god.

EM, good point. However some of us on the theistic side (or maybe agnostic side) never felt the "yoke of the Law" or the "tyranny of God's will". So what we (or at least I) do is surrender to the tao--accepting that there is a divine and a path (pathless path) to such. Yeah, I know, all kind of mirky, mythy, and mystical--that is the way I see it, though.

Even to kill himself, man is free to choose. If man has no freedom of will to refrain from doing evil, he is not a man but an irrational animal.

Ben - doesn't this contradict what you were saying in another post about humans not being able to go on a hunger strike to save thier own children? Or even from eating their own children upon facing starvation?

Now you're arguing that we're not irrational animals (i.e. driven by survival instincts) but instead we have freedom of will to choose whatever path we want, independent of our "evil" instincts?

If a human is starving and faces an "evil" choice which will save them from starvation, do they have freedom of will or not?

. . they could not eat of the tree of life and live forever.
Ben

if your hearts say to you , " look what Mr. X did to you . He is not any more like anybody , from now on, he is your enemy . You should fight him ,destroy him. This is the tree of knowledge which serpent wisdom showed you.
But here you are not monotheist , believing one god. Your god and Mr x god are antagonist. There is no love peace unity with Mr x and his god. When you get the wisdom of love peace and unity , and you understand one god - this is eternal life. The tree of life. The true idea of Monotheist . Real jewishness.

mojobadshah said:
In other words it reads like whoever wrote this didn't want men to become smarter, like it was an attempt to subject men to ignorance.
in fact, what it makes clear that you cannot become truly human without knowing the difference between good and evil. adam, in the edenic state, was not truly human - he had neither free-will, nor, consequently, did he have to bear the consequences of his actions, namely, the potential for sin. animals do not sin, because they do not make moral choices (although you could make an argument around dolphins, i think). if man had remained ignorant, he would not have truly become man. saltmeister makes this point more comprehensively here: http://www.interfaith.org/forum/eat-from-the-tree-of-14624.html#post254277

Etu Malku said:
The significance of eating from the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge is this spiritual evolution to that of an animal that is fully aware and conscious of itself.
another pithy way of putting it.

Amergin said:
Moses sent his version of the SS, the Levites, to murder 3000 of the belief sinners.
you are truly both ignorant and foolish to make such a statement. there is a very clear pattern observed in the sort of person that insists on equating jews with nazis.

Moses knew the dangers to those in control if the people obtained knowledge and learned to think.
only someone completely ignorant of jewish culture, texts and history could think such a point represented anything but prejudice and bigotry.

What made me atheist? The Bible which I read without being told in advance how to believe it.
which pretty much confirms what i just said. it's not about belief. it's about interpretation. if you walk into an australian aboriginal ceremony, or look at an aboriginal painting, how exactly are you supposed to understand what you are experiencing without guidance?

A man with a glassy-eyed facial expression and sardonic smile says, "you have a free choice." He holds a 50 calibre Desert Eagle Hand gun to your forehead. He says "you can freely choose to kneel before me and fondle my Johnson, or refuse and try to walk away." If you refuse I will fire 8 shots into your head. Free will indeed.
i really, really, really suggest you actually study a bit of philosophy if this is how you believe free will actually works. free will is inalienable even in such a situation.

Hypatia of Alexandria was arrested by Catholic monks on orders of SAINT CYRIL and dragged through the streets of Alexandria by chains, beaten, tortured, and finally while still alive drawn and quartered (look it up.)
the evil jewish actress rachel weisz played hypatia in the recent and rather good film "agora", which i unfortunatlely missed the end of because mrs bb sent the dvd back before i'd finished it.

I believe based on my experiences and the Bible, that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are frankly EVIL.
although, of course, you don't really know anything about judaism. there's a word for people like that.

It is an unproven assumption that man suddenly achieved a different awareness. We don't know if it was fundamentally different from Australopithecus, Homo habilis, Homo erectus, Homo heidelbergensis, or Homo neandertalensis. We don't know if it was qualitatively different from other Apes, monkeys, cats, or dogs. All we know it that we acquired speech long before we became Homo sapiens. Neandertals and Heidelbergs had the same identical FOXP2 gene that is required for vocal speech. We know that many animals understand our language even though they cannot talk (lack the FOXP2).
all of which is very much beside the point as far as the garden of eden is concerned. incidentally i actually know rather more about this than i do about virtually any other aspect of genetics (which isn't much) because a close friend of mine is a rather prominent expert in the field; i rather gathered that how FOXP2 works is a bit more complicated than you suggest, also what etu malku said about the sociolinguistic evidence base.

The line separating human animals from non-human animals is just an arbitrary designation of human chauvinism and narcissism.
tell that to centuries of moral philosophers.

There is no evidence that there was a Tree of Knowledge. That was a fable to keep people stupid and obedient to the war lord.
really? aren't there rather better ways of doing that, particularly given that jewish culture is based on rather exacting questioning?

I spent three years in Ruanda during the Civil War, plague, and famine. At the time I believed I made a serious mistake. People were dying of wounds, starvation, or treatable diseases for which I often ran out of antibiotics. I was shot at, briefly captured by Ugandan troops. I suffered from seeing my patients die despite my best treatment. I was suffered terribly to see children emaciated from starvation die of an otherwise treatable disease. Yet that part of my life is my proudest in my memory.
i salute you for this; it is the act of a moral being. do you have a problem believing that someone jewish would do the same thing?

I do consider American Fundamentalism to be evil, despite its adherents not recognising that evil.
well, you've also called me, as a practicing jew, evil, with absolutely no justification or evidence.

IowaGuy said:
You think the small Protestant church near my house, mostly attended by little old ladies, is EVIL? The one that does service projects in the community? The one that consoles community members at a time of need? The one that fundraises if one of its members becomes ill and can't afford the hospital bills?
unfortunately, you will find that there are many who do; apparently theism is a thoughtcrime so heinous that it disqualifies one from civilised society, as far as some are concerned. it is a spectacular lack of proportion which is notable for its similarity to the violence of thought displayed by.....well, i guess you know where i'm going with that.

Thomas said:
Careful contemplation of the text might indicate (dependent upon the insight of the contemplator) that rather than gain by the act, man would lose by it ... that is the discreet yet orthodox tradition, made explicit in the term 'fall'....It is evident that prior to the act, man did not, nor would he, know death as we understand it now.
with his usual precision, thomas highlights exactly where judaism and christianity part company, philosophically speaking :)

Ben Masada said:
Adam and Eve ended up eating from the tree of knowledge and did not die.
not immediately, no, but they certainly did die.

Etu Malku said:
There is no Freedom of Will to "refrain from doing evil" rather from what another (in this case god or at the very least those that believe there to be a god) dictates is Good or Evil, you have come under the Will of another's definition.
only if you lack your own moral capacity to assess what it is that is supposedly being "dictated" - as we say, "everything is in the hands of heaven - except, of course, the awe of heaven".

What you consider moral decisions are based on how your faith sees morality. Otherwise you are not following your chosen belief system. If indeed that is the case, then you are acting under the Will of another, and this is not Freedom of Will.
philosophically speaking, as ben has already made clear, this is because of the "subsidiarity" of free will that is activated by your free choice to consider what you call the "will of another" - what we call the "yoke of heaven"; it is a free choice, on an ongoing basis, whether to accept it or not. similarly, you may not experience it as a "yoke", albeit it cannot be denied that moral responsibility is a heavy burden; i actually rather commend "luciferians" (at least insofar as i understand what they believe) for recognising just how significant and important it really is as a principle.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I believe we are all losing sight of one basic truth: what is written (I do not care if it is OT, NT, Quran, or whatever) requires interpretation. Those of you that think it "speaks for itself" or is "capable of being understood on its own" probably do not understand how important your context, the content of your mind is to your own "unbiased reading".

Really, we all live (to some extent) in our own little worlds. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" has multiple interpretations not just because of the English phraseology or lack of precision. But because of how each of us is "wired".

P.S. excellent post BB!

The TREE OF KNOWLEDGE is a ladder of jacob , a way of wilderness to land of promise. Once you eat , you become like gods , angels , sons of G D . You shall not surely die .

There was and is rival between lilith and eve ,eve and adam ,adam and his creator jehovah.
There was is and will be war until the prince of peace ,moshiach comes. May be he the seed of a woman , a type of man of war.

Judaism ? Yes. But not traditional type. But I respect all judaisms type. Orthodox and all non-orthodox.

The TREE OF KNOWLEDGE is a ladder of jacob , a way of wilderness to land of promise. Once you eat , you become like gods , angels , sons of G D . You shall not surely die .
In Hermetic Qabalah and particularly from a Left Hand point of view:

On the original Tree of Life, Yesod, the astral abode of Man, is an exact reflection of the highest plane, Kether, an exactness of God.

The Fall represents mankind's and natures fall into materialism.This Fall shields us from the spiritual world and opens an Abyss between Man and the Divine. The Right Hand Path of traditional Judaic Kabbala aims to restore the original harmonic relation between Man and the Divine.

The Left Hand Path fulfills and deepens the Fall. The Dark Adept continues the Fall from God to reach individual divinity. The reason behind the Fall is often described as being hubris, man's search for knowledge and forces that originally were not meant for him to acquire. The Left Hand Path leads to a second birth, a spiritual rebirth as a god.

The original Tree of Life did not contain the material world, instead the non-Sephira Daath existed., united by paths with Kether (above), Chokmah, Binah, Geburah and Tiphareth (below).

Lucifer-Daath, the original Serpent, represents the divine force of creation that is able to carry out God's idea of creation.
Lucifer-Daath sinks down to man's level and awakens the power of creation and the sexual energy in man. Thus, man can reach the knowledge which was previously only accessible to God.

The adepts of the Left Hand Path glorify the Fall and allow the destruction to be fulfilled. Leading away from the Tree of Life and further into the Tree of Knowledge.

I believe we are all losing sight of one basic truth: what is written (I do not care if it is OT, NT, Quran, or whatever) requires interpretation. Those of you that think it "speaks for itself" or is "capable of being understood on its own" probably do not understand how important your context, the content of your mind is to your own "unbiased reading".

Really, we all live (to some extent) in our own little worlds. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" has multiple interpretations not just because of the English phraseology or lack of precision. But because of how each of us is "wired".

P.S. excellent post BB!

True dat! Excellent post! Here's another spin on the biblical story of the fall. Pay more attention to the subtitles than the girl. I know she's attractive, but the twist is in the story line. It just goes to show that we all perceive and interpret things differently. This is a little over 8 minutes long, but the song played in the background is a classic, so entertain me and just watch it! :p

[youtube]NUJ_I3G3ctQ[/youtube]

For those who decide not to watch, I'll break it down for you. It pokes fun at the whole account of the fall. The tree was just a regular tree with no special powers, it suggests that the laws were made up to show God how wise mankind thought they were. It even poked fun at animal sacrifice and how mankind thought, because of Abel and their so called "Godly wisdom", that animal sacrifice pleased God.

The whole idea is that humanity thought they had some special wisdom, some special knowledge, when it was all a simple test conducted by God to see if Adam and Eve would listen to him. It reminds me of young adults (age 17-18) and how we think we know everything, then leave home to face the world on our own. The story follows with HUGE mistakes made by us. Kinda humorous, if you ask me, hehe!

I have 10 more days until mine, but I'll still be classified as a young adult according to Radarmark. :)

I still have to bribe the guard to get into the Old Farts' corral!

True dat! Excellent post! Here's another spin on the biblical story of the fall. Pay more attention to the subtitles than the girl. I know she's attractive, but the twist is in the story line. It just goes to show that we all perceive and interpret things differently. This is a little over 8 minutes long, but the song played in the background is a classic, so entertain me and just watch it! :p

[youtube]NUJ_I3G3ctQ[/youtube]

For those who decide not to watch, I'll break it down for you. It pokes fun at the whole account of the fall. The tree was just a regular tree with no special powers, it suggests that the laws were made up to show God how wise mankind thought they were. It even poked fun at animal sacrifice and how mankind thought, because of Abel and their so called "Godly wisdom", that animal sacrifice pleased God.

The whole idea is that humanity thought they had some special wisdom, some special knowledge, when it was all a simple test conducted by God to see if Adam and Eve would listen to him. It reminds me of young adults (age 17-18) and how we think we know everything, then leave home to face the world on our own. The story follows with HUGE mistakes made by us. Kinda humorous, if you ask me, hehe!

Hmm. The video says to look for what is in your heart instead of in your head. Is "desire" of the heart or of the head?

Genesis 3:6
And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.​
link above is Hebrew chamad:

1) to desire, covet, take pleasure in, delight in
a) (Qal) to desire
b) (Niphal) to be desirable
c) (Piel) to delight greatly, desire greatly
I would say that it was their rationalization of their hearts' desire that got them into trouble. Then they blamed everyone else but themselves for doing it--more rationalizations--however false! Isn't wisdom the ability to guide oneself prudently--to discipline and govern oneself with reason and truth?

Hmm. The video says to look for what is in your heart instead of in your head. Is "desire" of the heart or of the head?

Genesis 3:6
And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.​
link above is Hebrew chamad:

1) to desire, covet, take pleasure in, delight in
a) (Qal) to desire
b) (Niphal) to be desirable
c) (Piel) to delight greatly, desire greatly
I would say that it was their rationalization of their hearts' desire that got them into trouble. Then they blamed everyone else but themselves for doing it--more rationalizations--however false! Isn't wisdom the ability to guide oneself prudently--to discipline and govern oneself with reason and truth?

Actually I think it says to follow the "love" that's in your heart instead of what's in your head, meaning not to over think things. We often get caught up in our thoughts, and by doing so we sometimes lose sight of what's important. When it came to Eve, her thoughts deceived her into thinking the tree would somehow make her wise.

Have you ever observed your thinking process? Mine is quite a vicious cycle between negative thoughts and positive. I don't know, it just seems to me that many of us cater far too much to what goes on in our heads, and far to little on the love we have in our hearts. If we thought less and loved more, the world could potentially be a far better place to live in.

Think about how judgmental some people are, and how many criticize, ridicule, and attempt to correct those who have a different point of view. We often "think" our views are somehow superior to the views of others. This is a classic example of having a false sense of wisdom. We want to be wise, we want to look smart and clever, but our idea of wisdom is surely a far cry from what God views to be wise.

Think about the movie "Pay it Forward". One act of kindness (charity) can lead to, and branch out (like a tree) into many acts of kindness. Love is easily understood by even children, given they have received it. Everyone has the capability of knowing its comfort if they would open themselves up and allow it to take root.

Besides, if we all loved one another there would be no crime, no violence, no wars, etc., which is why I view love to be the tree of life, the path of heavenly wisdom, and as Solomon alluded to: Wisdom is a tree of life. With that being said, I think we sometimes think too much (we lean on our own understanding) when we ought to be learning how to lean on love instead.

Back