On What are your Religious Beliefs Based?

What you want to see is an argument between a Jew and a Muslim. That's not the proper thing to happen in a forum about interfaith dialogue.
Why would the two of you argue? You are on an interfaith site and both understand what interfaith means. Why is it you could not have a civil discussion?

wil said:
but hey Ben, have you heard of Jesus? Have you been saved yet? (lol, two questions this Christian has never asked)

gotta love generalizations and folks instead of saying what they believe and why...telling others what they believe and why...now that is interfaith (or may inyurface)
Is that meant to be part of interfaith dialogue? That proves only the Christian expectation of conversion of the partner-in-discussion. No, Will, Jesus implied in John 4:22 that salvation is not FOR the Jews but FROM the Jews. That's something quite different from each other.
Now I just said, those were two questions I've never asked... You think I am trying to convert you? You are sort of correct. I don't want to convert you to Christianity....but would love to see you embrace Judaism...instead of always ranting on and dissing Christianity and Christians. (in a very interfaith way to be sure).

I always see it more advantageous to tell others about the advantages and positive parts of your own belief rather than trying to tear down another's belief to make yours look good....but I know where you are coming from...I fall into that trap myself sometimes.

Well hate to say it...while I agree Jesus didn't indicate he was forming new religion...by all appearances he was trying to clarify Judaism, with a new understanding... But since the Jews didn't accept him, and since Jews didn't accept the people that followed him as Jews...a new religion was formed...and try as you might you can't extricate Christ from Christianity.

So most Jews at the time didn't agree with Jesus's teachings.... a question for ya.... do most Jews today agree with your contentions?

This is a case of a personal opinion of yours since there is no quote to evidence what you have said. What I have is that, to clarify why he was born, Jesus said that he came to confirm the Law and the Prophets down to the letter, even to the dot of the letter. (Mat. 5:17-19) It means that he had nothing to clarify about Judaism per se but about his intentions to confirm every thing down to the letter. We accept every thing about Jesus as the Jew that he was. The problem is not with Jesus of Nazareth but with the "Christ" of Paul. That's the one whose gospel we could not accept. If you read Acts 9:20, Paul had made of Jesus the son of God without an earthly biological father which is akin to the Greek doctrine of the demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman. If the dead could be aware of what is going on, Jesus would turn in the grave.

Now I just said, those were two questions I've never asked... You think I am trying to convert you? You are sort of correct. I don't want to convert you to Christianity....but would love to see you embrace Judaism...instead of always ranting on and dissing Christianity and Christians. (in a very interfaith way to be sure).

I always see it more advantageous to tell others about the advantages and positive parts of your own belief rather than trying to tear down another's belief to make yours look good....but I know where you are coming from...I fall into that trap myself sometimes.

I didn't get it. You speak as if I am not Jewish. Mine is Biblical Judaism. So much so that I quote the Tanach even too often to prove that my Jewish assertions are documented in our Scriptures. Can you mention what is it in Judaism I have not embraced? I will gladly point to you where in the Scriptures to check for the truth of what I am saying.

Jesus said, I and the Father are one... not Paul. Jesus challenged the working on the sabbath, Jesus gave us a new commandment.

I know you are a Jew. Or rather I accept that you have said you are a Jew. What I asked is who is this we? You are the only Jew I know that argues that Christianity is false because Jesus was a Jew. I have met the Jews for Jesus crowd, and I have met Jews that claim Jesus never existed, or Jesus was a prophet. But I've never met one that is upset about Christianity co-opting Judaism... who is this 'we' you speak of?
We accept every thing about Jesus as the Jew that he was.

snoopy.gif

Last edited:
This is the reason:

I know it doesn't matter to you and I'm not trying to convince you. But listening is an important part of what I do here and that is why I keep coming back to it because it's topical each and every time I post. Without it this is a series of monologues, that's probably interfaith for you. Fine good for you, but I was talking to Wil when I said "the precepts of interfaith AS YOU AND I SEE IT". So you can quit defending yourself because we both know it's only a one way street for you.
Again, I never said listening wasn't important, I was saying it doesn't matter which you think does or does not. It really is that simple. I'm not trying to defend myself, I don't agree that I have ever insinuated even an iota of monologue. Nor most others here. If I state my view and await hearing yours, or a question/contention, I don't see how this isn't an interfaith discussion. When you refuse to allow someone their view, I see that as more obstructive than anything. Listen, respond, ask questions, get more knowledge... Interfaith. Getting all stuck up because someone is not bending their viewpoint to include yours ... not interfaith. Is my belief a 1 way street, yes, I believe it is correct and true and is the most direct path to truth. I don't hold that over anyone, and I never intend any ill will or rudeness to anyone's beliefs.

Ok Joe, let us go with that. You think that is interfaith, and that is not "i am right and you are wrong".... Ok we'll take your analogy as accurate...except...

except Islam is the dirt path that never leads you out..or Islam is the side street with all the back roads, one way streets and dead ends...you'll get there...but whoever you are discussing things with...they are the highway...the freeway without the tolls and bridges...

That isn't interfaith my brother....that is still I am right and you are wrong. Discussing how others have it all wrong is not interfaith.
The analogy could be used for anyone's view if they don't believe there is only 1 path to their destination. Also if they believe they are right in their belief. That is the point. IMO my view is correct. It would be illogical for me to believe otherwise. I'm sure you believe your path is THE CORRECT one (the interstate), Thomas will probably say Catholicism is the Interstate. This doesn't change the fact that the analogy does get across CLEARLY that I believe there are paths that are not direct, and there are paths that are incorrect, and then there's the direct interstate.

You are correct thou... I have issues with this...most of us do... and then the Bahai or NJ come by and say we all have similarities we all have the same core elements...well that pisses us off too doesn't it? We don't like that at all...how could polytheism and those that pray to Mary, or Jesus, or Shiva, or Thor have similarities to my beautiful Road??
Once again clear misrepresentation of what I wrote. Lets take one as far out from Islam as Thor. One of the Norweigen Gods. Thor is unimaginably Strong, controls that which Humans cannot (lightening and thunder) and is in constant battle with the Gods who create/instill evil. There are many parallels to Allah, which as I have stated would make sense since it is my belief Islam was around since the beginning. There are principles common throughout almost all religions. The fact that I can acknowledge this and use sense and logic to affirm what others have said, shows I listen to what others believe and make sense of it among my religious views. IMO is someone who believes in Thor, or any Polytheist system wrong, absolutely. Are there commonalities between them which we can agree, yes. Can we live next door to one another, yes. Does that mean I'm praying to Thor anytime soon? NO!

Just because you are willing to listen and learn about other religions isn't interfaith....it is embracing that they have a way, and a belief that is equal to yours, as beneficial to them as yours is to you, and that would include the secular humanist, the atheist?
Again you are describing interfaith as a conglomerate religion that I must accept all views as equal to mine to be productive. Nowhere has any Interfaith organization ascribed that as a precursor to an interfaith discussion. I believe I am right. OK. I am not saying anyone is wrong, but rather comparing your belief with mine. So that I can be at ease with anyone's beliefs. It is not my place to judge in my religion (As I understand your view, it is not yours either). I have learned much from Atheists and Secular Humanists. Am I saying they are on the interstate with me, no. That doesn't have anything to do with my ability to learn their views.

How about this analogy, similar to yours....there are many paths up the mountain... How about further....there are many mountains? or further yet, you don't have to climb the mountain at all...some use gondolas....others paraplanes....others astral travel...

Now what if on the other side of that path, at the top of the mountains....we ascend, transcend and are suddenly in a sea of consciousness each a molecule of thought....working as one...and none of us can differentiate ourcellves from each other but we are working together holding a vision of a peaceful universe.....while below we see others of us....all each individuals not knowing they are one, not knowing all paths lead to the same place...and arguing about menial bull crap instead of simply working on improving ourcellves?
Perfectly fine, as I would expect someone who believes a certain way to assert that their way is correct. Again it would not make sense otherwise.

As you know.... my fingers just made all that up...from bits and pieces of various things I've heard in the past that have accumulated in my psyche...is any of it true? I doubt it. But what if we lived as if? What if we lived respecting others paths... I have no problem with Islam, I admire your dedication of ritual cleansing and praying five times a day. I admire the five pillars and working towards accomplishing them. I admire the fasting on Ramadan... Do I admire it all? No. I don't admire the Islamist (I believe you and I say claimed Islamist) that straps a bomb to his back, or convinces others to. And I don't admire the one that says 'I am interfaith, but Islam is the only logical way'.

In the above you can 'insert any religion here' on the ones I admire... and "insert any hateful, intolerant belief here" for the ones I have issues with.
So you don't believe your view is logical? I agree anyone can make the claim. And I assume everyone does. Otherwise why believe it? Admiration, acceptance, peace, and understanding are all goals of interfaith which is what I strive for in topics that I comment on. Why would I come in here and say, 'You are correct there must be multiple Gods' If I don't believe it. Why would I say that person is correct? Am I going to say 'You are an idiot for believing that'? No, but I might ask 'Why do you believe there are multiple Gods'? This question is a legitimate interfaith question. I might read a statement that someone believes there are multiple Gods, and I might respond with "In Islam we believe in 1 God because..." which doesn't mean I am degrading or taking away from his/her belief, but rather comparing.

hell brother I am far from perfect. I can't make a great cake from scratch....I can't tell you how to make a great cake from scratch....but I can taste it...and tell you if I like it or not.
But your whole point here was that If I made the cake and said it was good you should accept it, embrace it and like it. If you don't like it or it is not pleasant to you, would I expect you to eat it all? No. If you looked at the top and saw spinach on it and you hated spinach, would I expect you to have to try it? No. But you can acknowledge that I do like it, and that it is ok... Hence why I do not understand your contention with my saying I use logic to fortify my belief.

I want you to note that I am not trying to start conflict but rather to negate this useless banter over what should or should not be included. IMHO it should be implied until otherwise stated that a response is to include, 'I acknowledge your view, and this is mine.' And that it is open for discussion.

As salamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu
Wa alaykumu s-salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Okay that is fair enough, and I do have an answer for you. In my world view there are many truths, so in fact I do believe that it is possible that Isaiah did know the truth. Where we differ is that you believe it is the only truth (or in your revision the only direct path to truth, but inferior side paths may also lead to truth), whereas I believe because there are many truths, Isaiah can be the truth for some, and someone else can also have a truth completely different from him.

So you see I am not locked into the concept that Isaiah was wrong. I am only locked into the belief that his cannot be the only truth. My logic is not flawed because I cannot accept people who believe there is only one truth. I cannot accept that because of logic! If there were only one truth, everyone would agree with it. That there are millions of people with their own version of the one truth shows that a one truth possibility is impossible. It's basic second grade mathematics. One cannot be many. By definition!
The highlighted portion goes against the words recorded. Therefor the prior sentence is incorrect. You do believe Isaiah was wrong. Or at least by extension one of the other prophets were wrong. And it is acceptable for you to think and believe that. Not in a Judaic way or a Christian way or an Islamic way, but your way. And this can be further discussed as you did here. The underlined portion is the part that I personally deviates from you and wil's argument. There are many people who believe there is 1 correct path (and yes there are many groups who do). And as such you MUST accept people who believe that as an interfaith effort. I'm not telling you to agree, as you clearly don't, but you CAN'T resist someone's right to believe there is 1 path.

As you must know, Christians are by nature trained to convert. So, their aim is to bring the partner down to their same beliefs, so that the end of the discussion is the Christian mission to evangelize. It is only obvious that, if the partner has any Christian initiation, he or she will have no choice but to decline based on a variety of reasons.
Have to take a sec to say you are making generalizations. Not all Christians are set on converting. But will agree a vast majority of the more religiously minded do. Same with Jews and Muslims and I assume most others.

See what I mean? The only room you want to see in your partner in the discussion is the potentiality to make a convert. That's why you must perceive in your partner the attitude to listen and to give in. That's not so with interfaith discussions.
I would point out... Do listen, don't give in... but I agree nearly every person here is to a minor degree trying to assert his/her way as correct (as is natural)

The main point, for instance of the post above is the communication with the dead. The name is séance, a doctrine completely anti-Jewish and even forbidden by the Jewish Scriptures to be practiced by Jews. Since you won't deny that Jesus was a Jewish man whose Faith was Judaism, it is only obvious that the above post is anti-Jewish. Not anti-Jewish the People but anti-Jewish theology. Since your partner in this case is a Jew, I can't agree with you. Although I don't agree with you, this is still a piece of interfaith discussion.
As I hope is understood in my post, I do not agree either from a personal, or Islamic standpoint. But I respect her ability to believe what she wants.

I welcome your understanding of my position. I find very difficult to interfaith with Christians because, they use a Jew who had nothing to do with Christianity to teach a complete anti-Jewish doctrine and easily go upset when another Jew does not agree with them.
Understood, I usually get the response from nearly every viewpoint. But I feel this is more a topic of debate which should have its own thread rather than fighting it out in the realm of other topics.

Really? You both claim to understand what interfaith discussion is. A devout Jew and a devout Muslim discussing their faiths together?

What could be better? If you two could keep civil and actually listen to each other, ask open and not pointed questions, and actually consider the responses that would be huge!!

Why exactly do you think this would not be beneficial?
I'm guessing you don't read many posts. As I/we do this quite often. we have established most of the difference we have is in the viewpoint of Jesus PBUH) as a prophet and more-so the Messiah. And the obvious not accepting Mouhammed, which unless he was Muslim, would not surprise me.

This testimony could be the same used by all paths. It is too heavy with preconceived notions. You have spoken as a Muslim, I could say the same as a Jew and the same could be said by a Christian.

Isaiah said that to speak the truth, one must do it according to the Law and the Prophets. Could he be wrong? Oh yes, for you and for a Christian, it is natural that Isaiah could be wrong. So, what are we supposed to do, stop our discussions and go home? I don't think so. If we all think the same, there is no learning. Controversy is the best method to learn.
Except I don't think Isaiah was wrong, as most Muslims and all of what I would call true Muslims would not. We are taught that his message was that of truth. And he did not lie and was not mistaken. Our view is that the Truth that he preached was not recorded in exactness or completeness, and if it had, it would have been the Quran. Hence why so many parallels can be made between the Tanach, Bible, and Quran. Not that you have to agree, but it is our view.

Jesus. That's who I mean. He never even dreamed that Christianity would ever rise. And he was the one used by Paul to teach anti-Jewish doctrines. Paul IMHO, ceased to be a Jew when he founded Christianity in the city of Antioch if you read Acts 11:26.
Well hate to say it...while I agree Jesus didn't indicate he was forming new religion...by all appearances he was trying to clarify Judaism, with a new understanding... But since the Jews didn't accept him, and since Jews didn't accept the people that followed him as Jews...a new religion was formed...and try as you might you can't extricate Christ from Christianity.

So most Jews at the time didn't agree with Jesus's teachings.... a question for ya.... do most Jews today agree with your contentions?
And there you go wil, almost a constructive discussion. Shib stated A JEWISH perspective, maybe not shared amongst all Jews, but is his view. I share the view as a Muslim that Paul ascribes Jesus to the higher status of God. And that before that Jesus' teachings were to correct errors that had come up in the Jewish people's views that were deviating from that which is taught by the earlier Prophets. This is my opinion, shared among many Muslims. Am I asking you to accept it as truth, no. But you should acknowledge that you have a different view of the topic, if you do.

This is a case of a personal opinion of yours since there is no quote to evidence what you have said. What I have is that, to clarify why he was born, Jesus said that he came to confirm the Law and the Prophets down to the letter, even to the dot of the letter. (Mat. 5:17-19) It means that he had nothing to clarify about Judaism per se but about his intentions to confirm every thing down to the letter. We accept every thing about Jesus as the Jew that he was. The problem is not with Jesus of Nazareth but with the "Christ" of Paul. That's the one whose gospel we could not accept. If you read Acts 9:20, Paul had made of Jesus the son of God without an earthly biological father which is akin to the Greek doctrine of the demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman. If the dead could be aware of what is going on, Jesus would turn in the grave.
Just as an act of Interfaith, His virgin birth was also ascribed in Matthew and Luke. Not just Paul. Also as is commonly used as foreshadowing evidence:
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Jesus said, I and the Father are one... not Paul. Jesus challenged the working on the sabbath, Jesus gave us a new commandment.

I know you are a Jew. Or rather I accept that you have said you are a Jew. What I asked is who is this we? You are the only Jew I know that argues that Christianity is false because Jesus was a Jew. I have met the Jews for Jesus crowd, and I have met Jews that claim Jesus never existed, or Jesus was a prophet. But I've never met one that is upset about Christianity co-opting Judaism... who is this 'we' you speak of?
This is something better placed in a debate thread, but Jesus (PBUH) did say that. But he did not Claim he IS God. Something God had no problem claiming for himself in the Tanach... He never promoted working on the sabbath except when needed (such as healing the sick. If you say this is ascribed to all his followers, why did Mary not come to anoint him on the Sabbath? He gave a new Command, which coincides with the earlier Laws, but clearly made people realize God's people are all 1 in the sense that they are believers, and that believers should work together. This parallels to Islam directly. I have known several Jews with this contention. If Jesus (PBUH) was a prophet why did he go against Judaism (his religion and claimed prophethood in)and then why does Christianity defy the laws that Jesus (PBUH) prescribed for all? These questions are talked about and debated all the time.

IMHO regarding Judaism and Jesus, divine teachings always have an essence/reason and a physical form or law. A lot of times people stress the letter so much that it kils the spirit, and these are the times when law needs to be loosened up. There are many examples of this in islam. For example if someone puts a gun on your head and forces you to leave islam, simply say ok I am leaving. In the same way haram animals are allowed after 3 days of starvation and laws for stealing dont apply during famine. A literalist will say no, thou shall die rather than eating a pig. But thats not the divine reason behind the law.

In the same way jesus just loosened up a lot of man made stiffness in Jewish law. nothing else. If somebody is dying, you can break sabbath. Its not a new commandment, just a refinement of the old. The law was nailed to the cross by paul, not jesus

I and the father are one, in what? substance? who said that? Cant there be any other interpretation of this statement?

Back