The Return of an unfamiliar Jesus?

lunamoth said:
Jesus can not return as an unfamiliar Jesus, as a secret that only some can recognize or figure out. The Second Coming is the fulfillment of hope and the final act of victory, not 'more of the same.' If not then the promise of the Second Coming has no meaning.

"24For the Son of Man in his day[c] will be like the lightning, which flashes and lights up the sky from one end to the other." (Luke 17)

Yes, it will be like a thief in the night, meaning it will be unexpected. But once the thief has come the evidence of his coming is clear. If we can't detect it, it has not happened.

He will be unfamiliar in one sense, but familiar in other ways.

In my view, the one and only true Jesus of the Second Coming will be an unfamiliar Jesus. All of the Jesus's that have come and gone are the ones that have always been and always will be familiar to us because the story they tell is exactly what we would expect from false Jesus's. Even before they tell us the story it's already familiar!!! Every false Jesus is just another deja vu of someone making fantastic claims of Messiah-hood. It is a claim that is based on a spin-off of another story told before that has simply been twisted into something slightly different.

He will be unfamiliar yet he will also be recognisable. When he comes, we will all know it's him. We will know it deep inside in our very heart and soul because he is unfamiliar in the sense that he's remarkably different to the other Jesus's. He'll have a personality that the others didn't have. All the other Jesus's were control freaks that wanted to make a name for themselves but the real one allowed people to condemn him and put him to death as a blasphemer. He allowed people to criticise him, call him names, make fun of him, but he didn't care because he had God on his side.

He's the one we all long for and hope for and we will know it's him because what we have long hoped for has finally become a reality.

It's something that we have never seen, never experienced, but something that we all believe in. When it comes, we will all sense that there's something different. What we believed in will come true, and that's when we'll know.

Unfamiliar but recognisable.

cyberpi said:
Saltmeister who wrote the beliefs that you teach?
Cyberpi, it sounds like you are unfamiliar with the Christian mindset. Saltmeister says "in my view," so I think these are Saltmeister's own views on the matter. I think a Christian posting personal views on a public forum does not constitute "teaching." If this Christian posts the same view on many different forums over a long period of time it would be understood as a "teaching." NOTE: I am referring to them as "a veiw" or "ideas," rather than "beliefs" because I suspect that is what they are.

But a first and only post of a particular idea is not considered a "teaching." Of course, I have not been following Saltmeister so I don't know if these views have been repeatedly posted around the internet, but the way they are stated makes me believe this is the first time Saltmeister posted these ideas.

There is one other way in which I don't think these views can be taken as a "teaching." The purpose of the thread, so far as I understand it, is to brainstorm on what the second coming might be like, whether or not it has already happened, etc. My understanding of brain-storming sessions is that anyone is allowed--encouraged--to put forth any idea that occurs without having to prove or support the idea.

Perhaps this is alien to a Muslim's way of thinking but from my observation it is normal, acceptable, and quite in line with regular Christian mental operations.

Quahom1 said:
New King James:

7 "And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority."

Nope, I don't see where it says it does or does not belong to anyone, but rather "...it is not for you", and I do not see where "you" was capitalized as YOU. Nor do I see anywhere where God states anything about "getting knowledge" (as in learning something new or different), nor do I see anything about God's "jurisdiction" (which by the way means BOUNDARIES), which is ludicrious, since GOD, has no boundaries.

What it does say (specifically), is "His own authority".

Your Bible, seems to be the one that is not quite at par with the Greek and Hebrew "literal" translations, I fear...

v/r

Q
yes , it is in his authority , it means the same thing
Lit., "authority." Gr., e·xou·si´ai. so only the father knows the day or the hour, that was the point i was trying to make .

cyberpi said:
Saltmeister who wrote the beliefs that you teach?

RubySera_Martin said:
But a first and only post of a particular idea is not considered a "teaching." Of course, I have not been following Saltmeister so I don't know if these views have been repeatedly posted around the internet, but the way they are stated makes me believe this is the first time Saltmeister posted these ideas.

There is one other way in which I don't think these views can be taken as a "teaching." The purpose of the thread, so far as I understand it, is to brainstorm on what the second coming might be like, whether or not it has already happened, etc. My understanding of brain-storming sessions is that anyone is allowed--encouraged--to put forth any idea that occurs without having to prove or support the idea.

Who writes my beliefs? At the moment, nobody . . . :)

My thoughts, beliefs and way of thinking may either be my own original ideas, or may be influenced by others. When I first joined CR, my way of thinking and attitude with regards to Christianity was a bit more restrictive. Prior to that, I had been exploring web sites that discussed Christianity and its relationship with other religions, but most of them were generally very doctrine-oriented.

CR gave me a different experience, and I am gradually settling in with this new-found experience. I joined about a year ago. I began to notice the different views and ideas that people were presenting, particularly with regard to Christianity. For me, it's broken quite a few "boundaries." The Christianity I think of now is not the same Christianity as the one I had when I signed up at CR. The experience of people like Wil, Taijasi, Path of One and countless others (which I can't remember off the top of my head) kind of triggered a change in the way I saw things.

What I've seen and read at CR has opened the way for more divergent thinking on the topic of Christianity where I can explore Christian concepts without having to conform to some rigid framework. Very liberating indeed. So as a flashback, when I first joined CR, I really felt an urge inside me to shoot people down for their beliefs and tell them they were wrong. It was because I wasn't familiar with an atmosphere of diversity. The notion of diversity was a bit strange and foreign to me.

I feel like I've been tamed and enlightened at the same time.:D

As for what I post now, yes you could call it brainstorming and thoughts conceived on the fly. It's more like a soliloquy. As I'm exploring, sometimes I will cross boundaries and my ideas may seem distant to traditional Christianity. Whether anyone reads what I say, means less to me that the fact that I'm learning. I post and forget. As I'm exploring, I don't always explicitly state that it's just my view. Instead of saying, over and over again, "In my view . . . in my view etc," I will sometimes launch straight into saying what I think.

It's just me helping myself understand Christianity better. Sure, I've grown up in a Christian family, but that doesn't mean I know everything about the religion I follow. It doesn't make me an expert. That's just the beginning. It takes a lifetime to appreciate and understand a religion, particularly Christianity and likewise for other major religions like Judaism, Islam and Buddhism. It's better than sitting on my butt and doing nothing!

I've been aware, for a long time, that there are common expectations on what a Christian is supposed to say and believe, even from non-Christians and outsiders. I don't think Christianity should be reduced to that size. I think the boundaries of Christianity are a lot bigger than that. With some lateral and divergent thinking, I think we'd all find that Christianity is much bigger than what people commonly hear and read in speeches, books and magazines. The idea of being "reduced in size" and stereotyped as a Christian is very intimidating. I feel like I'm not properly understood.

My exploration is me saying to people, "No, guys. I'm not really as small as you think." Whether you're Christian, Jew or Muslim, you don't want to be stereotyped. I used to think all Jews and Muslims were the same. I was too apathetic to notice differences between individuals. But on CR, I seen different flavours of Muslims and Jews. That has changed the way I think.

Wow! Saltmeister, it sounds like you've really been on a journey. Good for you! You're not just one more voice on the internet, you're out to learn. You sound like my kind of person. Glad to meet you!

mee said:

Jehovah’s people of the 19th century correctly understood that the pa·rou·si´a of Christ would be an invisible one

Dear mee,

I would say they didn't have a good understanding of scripture.:eek:

"Behold, He is coming with clouds, and EVERY EYE WILL SEE HIM, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen."

Revelation 1:7

Even Jesus said about Himself, "For as the lightning comes from the east and FLASHES to the west, SO ALSO will the coming of the Son of Man be."

Matthew 24:27

Assuming that we do expect a Messianic return, what will Jesus actually represent in terms of teachings and meaning?

Obviously not every denominational perception can be entirely correct - so what would the possible foundation's of Christ's beliefs be when returning?
I'm inclined to agree with Siege in principal, I think it will essentially be the same as was taught before but in a different manner.

There are a few caveats that go with what follows: the first presumes I have anything close to a reasonable understanding of the prophetic scriptures regarding the return of Messiah. The second is that I have anything close to a reasonable understanding of what the intent is behind the message in the Gospels. The third hinges on whether or not the "rapture theory" has any merit of truth.

So, with these caveats in mind...

According to those who hold to the idea of a rapture (of which I am not one) Messiah returns "secretly" to rescue them from the impending trials and tribulations as set forth in Revelations, Isaiah, Daniel and elsewhere.

At the end of these trials and tribulations from which the raptured are rescued from, Messiah returns in militant glory to set up shop. During this time "evil" is destroyed and "satan" is bound for a thousand years, during which time all those who have overcome and resisted the evil influences will be taught correctly.

It is here where your question enters: "what will Jesus actually represent in terms of teachings and meaning?"

Jesus (or more properly, "Messiah") will represent righteous teaching. No more will war be taught ("they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks"), peace will be endemic. An important question I have is whether or not this is in a physical body or a spiritual one. Death and disease will no longer take their toll. All animals, including humans, will live in harmonious balance.

All of this comes to a brief end after a thousand years, long enough I suspect (like the Hebrews wandering in the wilderness for 40 years) for the generations to forget. At that time Satan is loosed "for a little season" to see who he can tempt into mischief and lead astray. But that time will be short, and those who choose Satan's path after all that was done for their benefit will join him when he is destroyed.

Then a New Heaven and New Earth come into being. What precisely any of this means is wide open to interpretation, whether figurative or literal. I suspect a great deal of it is figurative and allegory. But the skinny is that those that overcome in this present era will enter the next which will be a much better environment in which to live, learn and love.

As for what precisely Messiah "means," I don't know with any certainty, other than to say I hope I understand well enough to earn my way into this next era where I can learn precisely what it is he intends for us to learn. ;) :D

I'm inclined to agree with Siege in principal, I think it will essentially be the same as was taught before but in a different manner.

There are a few caveats that go with what follows: the first presumes I have anything close to a reasonable understanding of the prophetic scriptures regarding the return of Messiah. The second is that I have anything close to a reasonable understanding of what the intent is behind the message in the Gospels. The third hinges on whether or not the "rapture theory" has any merit of truth.

So, with these caveats in mind...

According to those who hold to the idea of a rapture (of which I am not one) Messiah returns "secretly" to rescue them from the impending trials and tribulations as set forth in Revelations, Isaiah, Daniel and elsewhere.

At the end of these trials and tribulations from which the raptured are rescued from, Messiah returns in militant glory to set up shop. During this time "evil" is destroyed and "satan" is bound for a thousand years, during which time all those who have overcome and resisted the evil influences will be taught correctly.

It is here where your question enters: "what will Jesus actually represent in terms of teachings and meaning?"

Jesus (or more properly, "Messiah") will represent righteous teaching. No more will war be taught ("they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks"), peace will be endemic. An important question I have is whether or not this is in a physical body or a spiritual one. Death and disease will no longer take their toll. All animals, including humans, will live in harmonious balance.

All of this comes to a brief end after a thousand years, long enough I suspect (like the Hebrews wandering in the wilderness for 40 years) for the generations to forget. At that time Satan is loosed "for a little season" to see who he can tempt into mischief and lead astray. But that time will be short, and those who choose Satan's path after all that was done for their benefit will join him when he is destroyed.

Then a New Heaven and New Earth come into being. What precisely any of this means is wide open to interpretation, whether figurative or literal. I suspect a great deal of it is figurative and allegory. But the skinny is that those that overcome in this present era will enter the next which will be a much better environment in which to live, learn and love.

As for what precisely Messiah "means," I don't know with any certainty, other than to say I hope I understand well enough to earn my way into this next era where I can learn precisely what it is he intends for us to learn. ;) :D
:eek: a real one!

You are a gem 123. Thinking about it, trying to leave the door open and remaining honest.

is whether or not this is in a physical body or a spiritual one
Since you are a bunch of rocks that wakes up in the morning and can think then heaven could be each day. ;)

I mean think about it, you can choose; whether to plant a tree, make a baby, teach a kid... you can do lots of stuff that is a contribution of your energy to cause a good thing (life) to exist simply by your choice. And even if you died tomorrow them lives could still be existing. Kind of like a part of you is there.

Then when you to sleep tonight you won't have that choice. The rock that is you is unaware (conscious) until morning.

So the only difference of death and sleep is how you feel about yourself when you close your eyes or face that moment to let go.

If preparing for sleep, you simply think aboout what you have done and what you could do before you close your eyes (maybe) and just confident you get another chance in the am, but otherwise you as a bag of rocks don't know the difference while dead or sleeping.

So could your spirit be what you leave? And if you procreate would a living portion of you (your seed) and all your parants parants be moving forward in time?

Kind of simple if you think about it.

Dear mee,

I would say they didn't have a good understanding of scripture.:eek:

"Behold, He is coming with clouds, and EVERY EYE WILL SEE HIM, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen."

Revelation 1:7

Even Jesus said about Himself, "For as the lightning comes from the east and FLASHES to the west, SO ALSO will the coming of the Son of Man be."

Matthew 24:27

"Look!
He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, and those who pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in grief because of him. Yes, Amen." (Revelation 1:7)

"Then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." (Matthew 24:3, 30) Jesus ‘comes’ by turning his attention to the executing of Jehovah’s judgments on the nations.

This will result in momentous changes on earth, and since "all the tribes of the earth" have ignored the reality of Jesus’ kingship, they will indeed experience "the anger of the wrath of God the Almighty."—Revelation 19:11-21; Psalm 2:2, 3, 8, 9.

For just as the lightning comes out of eastern parts and shines over to western parts, so the PRESENCE of the Son of man will be. matthew 24;27.

Christ’s

Presence (Parousia)

Mt 24:3—Gr., τὸ σημει̃ον τη̃ς ση̃ς παρουσίας

Iinline with bible prophecy and chronology we have been living in the PRESENCE (parousia) since 1914 when Jesus took up his kingship.

During Jesus’ last evening with his disciples, he told them: "A little longer and the world will behold me no more." (John 14:19)

How is it, then, that "every eye will see him"?

Evidently, John meant "see" in the sense of "discern," just as we can see, or discern, God’s invisible qualities by means of his creations. (Romans 1:20)

well, he knew he was going to die and he was a little depressed about it, i reckon. so the "world will behold me no more".... as for the "every eye will see him"?............well, you just pulled that one out of nowhere cos its talking about god and his creating every thing and therefore you will see him in what he created.......... not what you are going on about. you cant just pull stuff out of nowhere and put it where you please......... or am i wrong?? Im only using a good news bible that i got from a american friend of mine many years ago. (thanks fran), for reference.

well, he knew he was going to die and he was a little depressed about it, i reckon. so the "world will behold me no more".... as for the "every eye will see him"?............well, you just pulled that one out of nowhere cos its talking about god and his creating every thing and therefore you will see him in what he created.......... not what you are going on about. you cant just pull stuff out of nowhere and put it where you please......... or am i wrong?? Im only using a good news bible that i got from a american friend of mine many years ago. (thanks fran), for reference.

Evidence weighing against Jesus’ presence as being a visible one (in the sense of Jesus’ appearing in a bodily form that could be seen by human eyes) is found in Jesus’ own statement that by his death he would sacrifice his flesh in behalf of the life of the world (Joh 6:51) and in the apostle Paul’s declaration that the resurrected Jesus "dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see." (1Ti 6:14-16)

Jesus therefore could tell his disciples that "a little longer and the world will behold me no more."

True, his disciples would behold him, not only because he would appear to them after his resurrection but also because in due time they would be resurrected to join him in the heavens and ‘behold the glory that his Father had given him.’ (Joh 14:19; 17:24)

But the world in general would not behold him because after his resurrection to life as a spirit creature (1Pe 3:18), Jesus restricted his appearances to his disciples.

His ascension to heaven was also seen only by them, not by the world, and the angels present assured the disciples that Jesus’ return would be in "the same manner" (Gr., tro´pos, not mor·phe´, "form"), hence without public display, discerned only by his faithful followers.—Ac 1:1-11.

Are you certain? ;)

Well if a student was to ask me;

'could you back everything you say up within each branch of existing knowledge?' (science (math), theology and philosophy).....

the only answer is 'absolutely'!

Meaning to simply recognize that unless you are conscious, you have no choice from the position of 'I'.... is being honest with yourself.

If someone wants to walk a lie... then good riddens, as the new will have no need of fibs any further.

To be honest is more important to a continuance of life than any faith.

The commandments do not suggest, lie to yourself to remain good.

just as the bible does not suggest 'read the bible' for answers..... That is the salesmanship of the preachers as they need you to stay complacent or they have no continuance.

Not a preacher alive that does not rely on someone who is far more educated then they are, to live; doctors.

So as they preach the bible gives them life everlasting, barely a one would be alive, without a doctor or medication... as each of them is quite humble upon their death bed.

Well if a student was to ask me;

'could you back everything you say up within each branch of existing knowledge?' (science (math), theology and philosophy).....

the only answer is 'absolutely'!
Interesting. So could I, yet I still reserve the shadow of doubt, knowing that the "truths" of science today are the fallacies and myths of tomorrow.

If someone wants to walk a lie... then good riddens, as the new will have no need of fibs any further.
New what? Order, perhaps?

The commandments do not suggest, lie to yourself to remain good.
Do you suggest I lie?

just as the bible does not suggest 'read the bible' for answers..... That is the salesmanship of the preachers as they need you to stay complacent or they have no continuance.

Not a preacher alive that does not rely on someone who is far more educated then they are, to live; doctors.

So as they preach the bible gives them life everlasting, barely a one would be alive, without a doctor or medication... as each of them is quite humble upon their death bed.
Do you suggest we all look to you as our "doctor?" What is it *you* are selling? If you hadn't noticed, I *can* be humble even in life. Of course, there are also times when humility is inappropriate and ineffective. Surely a learned person such as yourself knows precisely what I am referring to?

Interesting. So could I, yet I still reserve the shadow of doubt, knowing that the "truths" of science today are the fallacies and myths of tomorrow.
But as each faith has suggested, one day the truth will exist universally and although many suggest JC brought that exact truth, the fact is, that form did not combine mankind with knowledge and why a return is being sought.
New what? Order, perhaps?
In a sense, the truth is a 'new order' as the old failed with integrity.

Remember.. when the truth exist, the young will begin to teach the old...

and the last first, first to last

Do you suggest we all look to you as our "doctor?" What is it *you* are selling? If you hadn't noticed, I *can* be humble even in life. Of course, there are also times when humility is inappropriate and ineffective. Surely a learned person such as yourself knows precisely what I am referring to?
Trust yourself but always remain honest and if something is unknown or not understood, do your homework....

Not suggesting, buy this or believe that.... but to remain true to reality (God) rather than the words of men.

The sciences are each based on people (your peers) contributing to knowledge and if christianity had its way, the inquisitions would still be destroying libraries and people who were 'medicine man' or alchemist (newton) just because the material conflicts with beliefs.

Just be true to yourself and learn, if there is something not understood, ask questions and do what is right; learn...... but to debate and argue because knowledge harm a beliefs and false hopes of magic... well that is simply based on selfishness.

Then when you to sleep tonight you won't have that choice. The rock that is you is unaware (conscious) until morning.

So the only difference of death and sleep is how you feel about yourself when you close your eyes or face that moment to let go.

Ah, but what about those of us who remain conscious while sleeping (us lucid dreamers)? :D;) We never get to be the bag of rocks...

As for your recent generalizations about Christianity- some Christians would destroy science to shore up doctrine. Other Christians are scientists and see no problem with the two co-existing and even co-mingling. Christianity isn't one entity, but many- it is an overarching term to mean a body of believers and a diversity of doctrines (hence, Brian's original post).

As for the coming of Christ...

I'm somewhere along the lines of Seattlegal and Wil. Christ is in us, and with us, and around us. Christ walks with me every day. My job is to do the best I can to be Christ-like to others, to love my neighbors and God with all my heart. If my heart and mind are in the right place, the rest is irrelevant- whether the end of the world or the end of my life, I will be in His care and presence. That is enough for me.

Back