What music are you listening to?

Anyone know of any symphonic metal that integrates flute, oboe (or any other double reed woodwind) and cello along with the electric guitar and drums? I have a hankering for something along those lines, and Jethro Tull just ain't doing it for me.

Thanks! :D

Anyone know of any symphonic metal that integrates flute, oboe (or any other double reed woodwind) and cello along with the electric guitar and drums? I have a hankering for something along those lines, and Jethro Tull just ain't doing it for me.

I'm currently laughing my a** off listening to Scythia! I just might have to make the trek up north to Vancouver BC for Nerd Fest this year! (They started this band as a joke, and it started to take off. They have tongue firmly in cheek!) :p

[youtube]sQbFjvTmNNg[/youtube]

You might be describing Univers Zero. 
The line-ups and instrumentation have changed through the years, with some slight shifts in style but essentially they have maintained a mix of classical/acoustic and rock/electric instruments to create complex heavy symphonic rock. You might try Ceux du Dehors or Clivages.

(Rock, not metal sg. You can't have metal with an oboe!!!)

I don't know if these will suffice, but I'm familiar with Apocalyptica (which is a heavy metal cello group) and the TransSiberian Orchestra. You might be able to find either groups' videos on YouTube.

I apologize ahead of time if these aren't what you're looking for. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I was too lazy to dig out my old Sigur Ros CD's, and found someone put video from The Last Temptation of Christ to Sigur Ros's Hun Jord! :eek:

[youtube]RnS2MnxbnYg[/youtube]

Because, sometimes, despite one's best efforts, one feels like a specimen, trapped in the '80's, in a Ball jar with the lid on :D:

[youtube]HVzJ3maL5JY [/youtube]

I just finished listening to Wasted Time and Ol' 55 both by The Eagles and I'm waiting for the soundtrack for Phantasy Star IV to download (it'll be about another 3 1/2 hours.)

They sure beat either political ads and neighbors. :rolleyes:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The classic rock concert show has Bon Jovi (2000), the Police (1983), Jethro Tull (I didn't catch the year) and at least one other band that hasn't started yet.

Unfortunately, I'm also "listening" to a drunken graduation/solar eclipse party in the building next door (Tovarish is looking at the window in the "I want to stand in the breeze, but I don't want to be involved with the horrible smells coming from that direction" look.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The Children's Miracle Network's annual telethon is playing in the background. A little girl, about 5 years old, just brought in her Scooby Doo bank and emptied it into the "fishbowl" just because.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

A concert by The Who, circa 1971, interspersed with a concert by Journey, a concert by Collective Soul and a concert by Night Ranger ended and Get the Led Out with a couple of guests from Pink Floyd came on (one is David Gilmore, the other was Nick something [I didn't quite catch it].)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back