What music are you listening to?

Collaberation of local guys from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Mother Love Bone in tribute to a fellow musician who died from a heroin overdose.

[youtube]tsoaJ3zF0x0[/youtube]

I'm not listening to music but the gubernatorial election results (the polls just closed.)

I can't wait for this particular election's over and done with. *scream*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

My ecclectic PMS music consisting of a strange brew of Animal Collective, Jethro Tull, Rage Against the Machine, Tracy Chapman,The Blood Brothers, The Pixies, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Clash, Weezer, The B-52's, Aretha Franklin, The Honeydrippers,....and the Ramones. :p

I can't tell: is this a rhetorical question?

I've been out for about 10 years but playing a bit more now. Good players today that I know of

Derek Trucks
Brent Mason
Johny Hiland

There are lots of really good players about :)

Love Rusts by Starship just came on right after the announcement that Jerry Sandusky was found guilty of 45 of the 48 charges, and that it took 20 hours of deliberation.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

We have two music competitions on TV in India. Final results for one will be out today - 'Jo jeeta wo Super-Star' (One who wins is the Super-Star). It is a competition of past champions for the super-champion. The other is beginning - Indian Idol. 24 competitors from all over India would be selected by the second most famous female singers of the sub-continent, Asha Bhonsle (she is the sister of the most famous female singer of the sub-continent, Lata Mangeshkar. Lata is considered an avatara of Goddess Saraswati or specially blessed by the Goddess of speech, studies, music and poetry). The sisters have dominated the sub-continental music scene for the last 50 years. They have sung thousands of film songs (more than 50,000).

There are two things for which Indians and Pakistanis, both are mad about. One is music, the other is the game of cricket. When these things come, we forget all our disputes. The other common interests are Urdu poetry, kite flying, and kebabs.

Lata (left) and Asha (in their younger days), and Irfan
Lasta's voice was soulful, Asha had the zing in her voice.

images
images

This is also something where nobody minds a muslim carrying away the prize. This time the winner is Mohammad Irfan Ali. Among other things, he won a cash prize of $100,000, which is a lot of money for many people in India (certainly it is so for Irfan). I would not have liked his competitor, a hindu, to win.

Hi Aupmanyav,

Lata (left) and Asha (in their younger days), and Irfan
Lasta's voice was soulful, Asha had the zing in her voice.

images
images

This is also something where nobody minds a muslim carrying away the prize. This time the winner is Mohammad Irfan Ali. Among other things, he won a cash prize of $100,000, which is a lot of money for many people in India (certainly it is so for Irfan). I would not have liked his competitor, a hindu, to win.

Speaking of Asha and of her zing, I wonder if you have heared her collaboration with Michael Stipe of R.E.M.? In this video, East meets West, if only briefly, in spite of Kipling's claim that it wouldn't happen. Anyway, thanks for the report from Asia.

Serv

IMHO, East does not meet West in spite of the best efforts of Pandit Ravi Shankar (Sitar), Ustad Amjad Ali Khan (Sarod), Ustad Zakir Hussain (Tabla), and Asha (Vocal). Moreover, the East-West meet came when Asha was past her prime. Let us be separate and happy.

Back