What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

I just saw Condemnded with Stone Cold Steve Austin. YUMMY. not a bad movie, certainly not as bad as Steven Seagal movies are. I liked it and yes, Its not a intelectual movie but its a good action, good guy bad guy movie that I love. especially with that gorgeous wrestler in it. mmmmmmmm.

I recently went to see Juno.
This weekend my kids picked 'The Bucket List' over Juno or National Treasure. I thought Juno would be great for added discussion regarding teen pregnancy and choices (my twins are 14, could be they know my style and didn't want to see the movie with me just to avoid the discussion).

But the Bucket List was good, fun, interesting. Average age of theater goer to this movie must have been 55, there were only 5 total in a full theater under 20, but the kids enjoyed the flick. (and we still were able to discuss various behaviours like cursing, casual sex, impatience, tolerance, compassion, etc.)

This weekend my kids picked 'The Bucket List' over Juno or National Treasure. I thought Juno would be great for added discussion regarding teen pregnancy and choices (my twins are 14, could be they know my style and didn't want to see the movie with me just to avoid the discussion).

Too bad!! I can't say it enough, so I'll say it again: Go See This Movie!

:D

The Great Debaters with Denzel Washington and Forest Whitaker and many other, lesser known, wonderful actors and actresses. This movie is about a small Negro college in Texas and how, in 1935, Melvin Tolson, a radical Negro professor, formed a debate team and coached them through victory after victory, then sent them to debate Harvard in a nationally broadcast (through radio) debate.

The story also revolves, as you can imagine, around the racism and racial tensions of the Jim Crow south. There are a few highly disturbing scenes that should be seen by all Americans (and anyone else) who believe that the civil rights gains of the 20th century make everything that has happened (and continues to happen) to African Americans at the hands of white supremacists hokey-dokey and annulled.

I highly recommend this movie.

I saw The Great Debaters on Christmas. It was a fantastic film and I recommend it to everyone.

edit: It's not entirely factual. They never debated Harvard.

We Are Dad, a great documentary about an amazing family from Florida. Two HIV nurses, also partners, have fostered six HIV-positive children. Five of those children still live with them. One tested HIV-negative (although positive before) at three years old, which led to the state of Florida wanting to take him away from his foster family and put him up for adoption, targeting more 'traditional' familes. The Lofton-Croteaus family is fighting to keep him.

Make sure you watch the outtakes of this movie as well. ;) :)

I saw The Great Debaters on Christmas. It was a fantastic film and I recommend it to everyone.

edit: It's not entirely factual. They never debated Harvard.
What a freakin waste of a movie then.

I thought it was based on fact.

if

a. they didn't debate harvard
b. did the lynching occur and affect the debaters?
c. was the critical debate verbatum?
d. did the prof help the farmers?

I can understand a little license but since it was one of the pivotal moments of the movie (and I could swear they said folks were listening nationwide) than what else is hokum?

Next your gonna tell me Charlton Heston isn't Moses.

Wil,

I disagree that it's a waste of a movie but I do think the story could have been effective without faking a climax. *coughs*

In other news, I just rented Big Trouble in Little China from iTunes. That's always a fun film to watch.

-- Dauer

The Day the Earth Moved, which is about the January, 1995 Kobe earthquake.

All I can say is it really puts life into perspective, especially the scene where one of the boys saw his father (the only surviving member of his immediate family) die right in front of him (the father of one of his classmates was severely burned trying to rescue the man, I think.) The teacher lost his daughter when a pillar crushed her and one of the students died when the apartment building's first floor collapsed, the rest of the building resting on top of her entire family.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Into the Wild....

"Based on a true story. After graduating from Emory University in 1992, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandoned his possessions, gave his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhiked to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters who shape his life."

This film, is, amazing.......

My Flesh and Blood: Documentary about a single mom and her adopted children. She has adopted eleven kids, all with "special needs":

• Faith, whose face and body was burned and disfigured at age two, is full of life and beauty.
  • Anthony, who suffers from Epidermolysis Bullosa, which has caused his skin to blister, peel, and in some cases fall off. He must be bathed in a bleach-water solution four times a week and parts of his body are wrapped in bandages. Somewhat quiet, he also gets a lead role in a school play.
  • Xenia, who has no legs (and neither does one of her adopted sisters) and wears a shirt that reads, "I have ISSUES." She doesn't care, though. "Having legs is not a problem," she says. On Halloween, she has one of her brothers saw her in half, as it were, away from a rigged up pair of legs. She and her sister both have no problem climbing, swimming, and dancing.
  • Joe, who has cystic fibrosis and an attitude problem. He is angry, but then again he's fifteen. Some of the things he says, which are admittedly awful, also came out of my mouth at that age. His birth mother is a recovering meth addict and a coroner.
  • Margaret: I am not sure if Margaret has a disability, but she sacrifices much. The oldest of the adopted kids living at home, she is a second mother to them, spending much of her time making sure that they get the medicines they need, do their homework, driving them places, and trying to keep Joe away from playing violent video games like Grand Theft Auto.
  • Many more...
I also have recently seen the History Channel's documentary about The Underground Railroad. Very inspiring and informative about American history of freedom at any cost, dissidence, and the integrated racial struggle for equal treatment.

The film I mentioned last? "into the wild" I beg you all.... Please, watch this film.... lol, I have so far got twenty people to watch it (mostly family) but please come on... This could be the best film you will ever watch, I know that statement is true for myself....

rush hour 3. terrible acting but its a jackie chan film so I can forgive them. actually, jackie chans acting is better than mosst of the others in th e film. I looooooooove jackie chan.

I looooooooove jackie chan.
I *really like* Jackie Chan too, but haven't seen rush hour 3. I've got most everything else at the house, I think, including a couple of obscure really early films he did. There is an old movie I have been looking for, "the Big Brawl." When I looked it up on Wiki it said that Jackie was the lead role. If so, then he's been acting in movies since at least 1979, almost 30 years, doing what he does best. I think my favorite is Shanghai Noon, but Drunken Master is really good too.

I took my wife to the movie house to see Fool's Gold the other day, her first time inside an American movie theatre. I think she was nonplussed about the whole affair. She seemed to like the movie though, which was a good thing because I have a hard time finding movies to share with her. Her English is improving in leaps and bounds, but it is still "foreign" to her. Even though she is Chinese, she isn't much of a Jackie Chan fan. She puts up with his movies because I like them... :)

BTW, I liked Fool's Gold very much. When it comes out on video I'll have to add it to the collection.

Back