so when a saved person goes to heaven

Dor said:
Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:

Hmm thats easy to read 12000 from 12 tribes of Israel. You can not take half the verse literally and half the verse spiritually. If it is literally 144,000 which the watchtower agrees with it has to be literally jews.

Rev 7:9 After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands,

Try reading on down a couple verses....that multitude has nothing to do with us either.

Rev 7:13 Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, "Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?" 14 And I said to him, "Sir, you know." So he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them.

Rev 4:2 Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven, and One sat on the throne.

Rev 14:1 Then I looked, and behold, a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father's name written on their foreheads.

Wow look Mee 144,000 Jewish men during the tribulation standing on Earth with Jesus. Wait doesn't the WT say Jesus does not return?

wait maybe rev 19:1 says it best
Rev 19:1 After these things I heard a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, "Alleluia! Salvation and glory and honor and power belong to the Lord our God!

A great multitude in heaven right from the Bible.

Except for one small point. They're not all jewish. In otherwords they are all not from the tribes of Judea, Benjamin or Levi. So not all have the Jewish faith as their own. They are 12000 each from each of the original 12 tribes of Israel. I think there is something significant about that. Perhaps (said tongue in cheek), God knows where the missing tribes actually live, and so these special people are going to be taken from all points of the earth?

Could it be 12,000 from France...(Reuben's tribe), 12,000 from Denmark (Dan's tribe), 12,000 from the British Isles (Ephriam's tribe), combined with Manessah's tribe, and so on?

just a thought

the 144,000 are tribulation saints from the tribes of israel that god seals.

Quahom1 said:
Except for one small point. They're not all jewish.
Ok well they still have to be literally the 12 tribes of Israel.

The main point is you can not say the 144,000 is literal and the tribes of the children of Israel part is symbolic for the JW's.

Dor said:
Ok well they still have to be literally the 12 tribes of Israel.

The main point is you can not say the 144,000 is literal and the tribes of the children of Israel part is symbolic for the JW's.

You are correct, one can not say part is literal and part is symbolic. There is no precedence for such a disclaimer.

Quahom1 said:
Well, it seems to me that to claim that only 144000 hit the jackpot and get into the ultimate place while everyone else who laid faith on Christ only get second best is an insult. And it isn't God doing the insulting...
yes, you are right it is not God who is doing the insulting , he is offering us everlasting life in a paradise earth , and it is God himself that tells us in the bible that only 144,000 will be on the heavenly mount zion, and Jesus himself said that it will be a little flock that would inherit the kingdom
"Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of giving you the kingdom."—LUKE 12:32.
These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb, and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish."—Revelation 14:1, 4, 5
Since Pentecost 33 C.E., these anointed, spirit-begotten ones have served as ambassadors of Christ on earth. (2 Corinthians 5:20) Today, only a remnant of them remain, serving together as the faithful and discreet slave class. (Matthew 24:45; Revelation 12:17) .yes ,its all happening in this time of the end , thrilling times indeed, the bible is not a closed book but it is being revealed in this time of the end.

Dor said:
Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:

Hmm thats easy to read 12000 from 12 tribes of Israel. You can not take half the verse literally and half the verse spiritually. If it is literally 144,000 which the watchtower agrees with it has to be literally jews.

Rev 7:9 After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands,

Try reading on down a couple verses....that multitude has nothing to do with us either.

Rev 7:13 Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, "Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?" 14 And I said to him, "Sir, you know." So he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them.

Rev 4:2 Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven, and One sat on the throne.

Rev 14:1 Then I looked, and behold, a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father's name written on their foreheads.

Wow look Mee 144,000 Jewish men during the tribulation standing on Earth with Jesus. Wait doesn't the WT say Jesus does not return?

wait maybe rev 19:1 says it best
Rev 19:1 After these things I heard a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, "Alleluia! Salvation and glory and honor and power belong to the Lord our God!

A great multitude in heaven right from the Bible.
yes the great crowd spoken of in revelation 7;9-10 will sail through the great tribulation,they are now being gathered . and i am hoping to be one of them , i am waving my symbolic palm branch to welcome Jesus as king of Gods kingdom ,i have washed my symbolic robe in the blood of Jesus christ , yes the great tribulation is just around the corner , do not confuse the great crowd ,in revelation 7;9-10 with the great crowd in revelation 19;1. this great crowd spoken of in rev 19;1 are not the same, they are the great crowd of angelic ones in heaven ,. they are ministering to him the heavens are full of angels.
After these things I heard what was as a loud voice of a great crowd in heaven. They said: "Praise Jah, YOU people! The salvation and the glory and the power belong to our God, revelation 19;1
There was a stream of fire flowing and going out from before him. There were a thousand thousands that kept ministering to him, and ten thousand times ten thousand that kept standing right before him. The Court took its seat, and there were books that were opened. Daniel 7;10
(Hebrews 12:22) But YOU have approached a Mount Zion and a city of [the] living God, heavenly Jerusalem, and myriads of angels,

Quahom1 said:
You are correct, one can not say part is literal and part is symbolic. There is no precedence for such a disclaimer.

Jehovah has established a limited number, 144,000, to make up the little flock, and he has been gathering it since Pentecost 33 C.E.
Various Bible scholars, past and present, reached the same conclusion—that is, the number is literal. For instance, in commenting on Revelation 7:4, 9, British lexicographer Dr. Ethelbert W. Bullinger observed some 100 years ago: "It is the simple statement of fact: a definite number in contrast with the indefinite number in this very chapter." (The Apocalypse or "The Day of the Lord," page 282) More recently, Robert L. Thomas, Jr., professor of New Testament at The Master’s Seminary in the United States, wrote: "The case for symbolism is exegetically weak." He added: "It is a definite number [at 7:4] in contrast with the indefinite number of 7:9. If it is taken symbolically, no number in the book can be taken literally."—Revelation: An Exegetical Commentary, Volume 1, page 474. so it is not just JW that recognize that this number is litral

You got that right Mee. I take that number literally and I am not JW. The difference is I take the tribes of Israel part literal too. I do not pick the parts I want and say parts or symbolic and are just talking about my little group that some man made up in his mind.

*Psst*
hey Q!

Asher
Benjamin
Dan
Gad
Issachar
Joseph*
Judah
Levi
Naphtali
Reuben
Simeon
Zebulun

[whisper]I think if you take a closer look, you'll find that Dan is not counted in Revelations, or even in later census counts in the Old Testament. The split of the tribe of Joseph, counting the two half tribes (Ephraim and Manasseh) as whole tribes, keeps the count at 12. Otherwise there would be 13 tribes...[/whisper]

Kindest Regards, Dor!

I don't get to respond to you as often anymore it seems, that doesn't mean I do not appreciate your posts. I do.

The difference is I take the tribes of Israel part literal too.
Cool! So do I. I am wondering though, what if one or another tribe is not Christian...do you think G-d might make a path for them too?

juantoo3 said:
*Psst*
hey Q!

[whisper]I think if you take a closer look, you'll find that Dan is not counted in Revelations, or even in later census counts in the Old Testament. The split of the tribe of Joseph, counting the two half tribes (Ephraim and Manasseh) as whole tribes, keeps the count at 12. Otherwise there would be 13 tribes...[/whisper]

I know that. None the less, there was at a time Dan's tribe...:D

edit: besides, what's wrong with a "baker's dozen" since we're speculating here anyway...

Last edited:
Kindest Regards, Mee!

It has been a long time!

it is not just JW that recognize that this number is litral
It was pretty interesting to hear you mention Dr. Bullinger, a favorite scholar of a favorite scholar of my own. I think the point being contended is that of linking the JW organization *symbolically* to the 12 tribes of Revelations...hard to do once one gets through quoting how Dr. Bullinger and others established that the tribes and number are literal...meaning extended from the original tribes...the 10 tribes carried over the Caucasus mountains by the Assyrians, and the three that were carried off by Nebuchadnezzar, re-established under Ezra and Nehemiah beginning in the reign of King Cyrus the Persian, suffering the indignity of the Greco-Syrian pollution of the Temple by Antiochus Epiphanes, throwing off the shackles of Greek rule under the Maccabean brothers only to come under the auspices of Rome in the reign of Julius Ceasar, and to finally have the Temple destroyed by Rome about 70 AD and to be exiled from their native lands by the Romans about 120 AD, only to be allowed to return and re-establish their nation in 1948. Now, for those who count 13 tribes in what I said, I made no mistake. The tribe of Levi was split between the northern and southern tribes during the time of the Assyrian invasian.

*Only* this last group mentioned, the three tribes composing the southern House of Judah, (that is; Judah, "half" of Levi, and the remnant of Benjamin), are those whose heritage are what we today associate with the religion of Judaism. (therefore, those who state these are 144 thousand "Jews" are mistaken...at best only 36 thousand can be Jews)

The 10 "lost" tribes are largely misplaced in history, although Q pointed in the right general direction (although, depending which scholar one considers, the tribe of Dan had long before settled in Greece and made inroads into the heart of Europe as the Spartans). There are some that hint that the Teutonic tribes and other "barbaric" tribes from the Steppes to Britannia that gave the Romans such fits for so long, were actually descended from those 10 tribes. Therefore, it is entirely possible, that counted among those "lost" tribes of Revelations, of which G-d created (and G-d doesn't create junk), may very well be some of Christianity's arch rivals. Specifically, Pagans.

Of course, there is no way to tell. And I know I do not speak for G-d. But if Revelations is G-d's word (and I believe it is), and G-d doesn't make junk (which I believe), and Paul says to hold fast to those things that are good (Prober and InLove both just got done quoting), and Paul says in Romans that even those without the law know the law written on their hearts...that maybe, just maybe, "Christianity" isn't all that exclusive of a club.

Again, I say, it is not *what* we believe...it is *what we do* with what we believe. I got a feeling we are in for some big surprises, just who makes it to heaven, and who does not...

those 144,000 who will be resurrected to go to heaven to rule with Jesus as kings and preists, are spiritual jews , they are not all fleshly jews.YOU are all, in fact, sons of God through YOUR faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of YOU who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female; for YOU are all one [person] in union with Christ Jesus. 29 Moreover, if YOU belong to Christ, YOU are really Abraham’s seed, heirs with reference to a promise................. Galations3;28
And at Galatians 6:16 this composite body of believers, both Jews and non-Jews, is called the "Israel of God."

juantoo3 said:
...Again, I say, it is not *what* we believe...it is *what we do* with what we believe. I got a feeling we are in for some big surprises, just who makes it to heaven, and who does not...

Faith is not believing in God (even the devil believes in God), but rather believing God...

Again, I say, it is not *what* we believe...it is *what we do* with what we believe. I got a feeling we are in for some big surprises, just who makes it to heaven, and who does not...

Hi J23 :) Just out of curiousity.. are you saying that you believe it might be works that gets people to heaven?

The bible does say that the believers works will be judged but it doesnt say that we arent getting there based on those works to my knowledge.

Im a firm believer in works being a fruit of faith..with one you get the other.

Kindest Regards, FaithfulServant!
Faithfulservant said:
Hi J23 :) Just out of curiousity.. are you saying that you believe it might be works that gets people to heaven?

The bible does say that the believers works will be judged but it doesnt say that we arent getting there based on those works to my knowledge.

Im a firm believer in works being a fruit of faith..with one you get the other.
I agree, works are evidence of faith. Yet, works are all that *some* have. One can have works with no "Christian" faith, which I would still think to be evidence of G-d moving in that person's heart, mind, spirit and soul.

I know it contradicts what I learned in Sunday school as a kid, but as I get older and read more in depth into the words, of Paul especially, I have grown a little more...lenient...in measuring "who will make it, and who won't." Part of my issue stems from my mixed heritage, my Christian European heritage in which I was raised, and my Native American heritage which resonates deeply in my heart and soul. Is the Native American side of me damned by no more than an accident of birth?

Consider, there are finds in the new world that connect to the old world well before the time of Christ, and certainly well before Columbus. What of the Los Lunas Decalogue stone, or the stone found in one of the "serpent mounds" in Ohio with the Ten Commandments written on it? Or what of the ancient Hebrew settlement found in Massachusetts by Harvard University Archeology? Things like these lead me to believe some part of the ten "lost" tribes settled in North America, and became among the eastern tribes of Native Americans. Since my heritage includes Cherokee, I cannot help but wonder if, way back beyond memory, the Cherokee and others may be related directly to the Jews.

Which makes me think all the more...we can't judge a book by its cover...we can't fathom the depths of G-d's thoughts...and we are not in a position to judge who G-d will save, and who He won't.

If all a person has are works, and they are otherwise "legitimately" ignorant (in accord with "accountability), G-d will take these things into consideration.

At least, these are my thoughts. If I am mistaken, G-d will correct me. I ask Him to all the time.

I am of the mind that 'Church' is a pre-eminent work of faith.

But Christ told man to offer his prayer in private, and in quiet, and not in any way a show before his neighbour:
"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."
Matthew 6:6

To be a Christian in the world is work - with mind and body and soul and spirit.

Without a visible church, Jesus becomes invisible ... He becomes the 'embodiment' of the opinion of anyone who has a fancy, of cultural whim ...

For all its faults the Church alone is the one who transmits His message in His own words.

Sometimes we do it well, and sometimes we do it badly ... we are not perfect (as much as an imperfect world demands of us) ... but do not confuse my fault with my Church.

We all respond (or not) individually, but then all the world sees is one person, and there are many people who live saintly lives who have never heard of Jesus - but if He was presented to them in spirtit and in truth then they would know immediately He of whom is spoken - the words would be His - and they would know Him from the depths of their own being, not from any convincing argument.

Thomas

Kindest Regards, Thomas!
Thomas said:
I am of the mind that 'Church' is a pre-eminent work of faith.
Agreed. Even so, the "Church" is a pre-eminent work of faith of *likeminded* individuals who share cultural norms, mores and ethics. Whereas the equivalent of "the Church" in other cultural circumstances is equally a pre-eminent work of faith of likeminded individuals who share cultural norms, mores and ethics. There are often great similarities between cultural norms, mores and especially ethics; but there are also obvious differences in application and outlook as well as differences in formalized morality myths / stories / parables.

But Christ told man to offer his prayer in private, and in quiet, and not in any way a show before his neighbour:
"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."
Matthew 6:6
I am familiar with this, and I am not certain its purpose for inclusion. My mention of asking G-d to correct me, perhaps? I hardly see that as prayer in public, nor especially do I see my comment as eliciting open reward from my peers. Needless to say, I am confused...

To be a Christian in the world is work - with mind and body and soul and spirit.
Agreed. But could the same not also be said of any spiritual path that *validly* seeks to be one with our Father, or Source, or Wellspring, or Creator, etc., etc., etc...? So, if work is required to be Christian (or otherwise valid in the eyes of "G-d"), then it is not sufficient to simply have faith? Belief alone is insufficient, for faith without works is dead (James).

Without a visible church, Jesus becomes invisible ... He becomes the 'embodiment' of the opinion of anyone who has a fancy, of cultural whim ...
I can agree in some situations, such as those who try to create their own "smorgasbord" religion, and I suspect there are invalid paths that masquerade as valid. But I also believe there are valid paths that are parallel with Christianity. I cannot begin to see G-d in His infinite wisdom, charity, mercy and love, creating whole cultures, whole heritages, whole nations, for the sole purpose of being destroyed in a pit of hellfire. I rather am coming to the conclusion that the path is not as important (although there is some degree of importance) as what we do on the path. Self made paths, the smorgasbord types, don't know which direction to aim for. There may be some paths that wander down the mountain instead of up. Certainly there is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is destruction. Great and wide is that way. Yet, there are certain paths that persist for thousands of years, that seem to me to have basic core elements that are very like to those in Christianity. Afterall, are the Jews and Muslims to be written off? Must one be required to believe solely in the efforts of Jesus? Are there not paths that teach the same effective morality, and point to the same G-d? I can think of a few more paths that also reach similar conclusions, although their "lingo" conflicts with that in Christianity, they still strive for the same ultimate goals in different parlance and with different morality myths.

For all its faults the Church alone is the one who transmits His message in His own words.
Kinda hard to refute this. Of course, one could point out that the message of the Torah is transmitted in Moses' own words, as the message of the Quran is transmitted in Mohammed's own words. Likewise the Vedas and the writings of Buddha, Confuscious and Lao Tzu.

Sometimes we do it well, and sometimes we do it badly ... we are not perfect (as much as an imperfect world demands of us) ... but do not confuse my fault with my Church.
This is part and parcel of being human.

We all respond (or not) individually, but then all the world sees is one person, and there are many people who live saintly lives who have never heard of Jesus - but if He was presented to them in spirit and in truth then they would know immediately He of whom is spoken - the words would be His - and they would know Him from the depths of their own being, not from any convincing argument.
In some sense I agree. G-d's own know Him, and through Him they know each other. Perhaps not on an intellectual level, but on a spiritual level. On the level of spirit, there are not the obstacles we face in the material / flesh world. We are not blinded by passions and emotion, doctrine and dogma. We intuit what is right and well and good, *for* ourselves and *in* others, likeminded with us or not.

Kindest Regards, Mee!
mee said:
those 144,000 who will be resurrected to go to heaven to rule with Jesus as kings and preists, are spiritual jews , they are not all fleshly jews.YOU are all, in fact, sons of God through YOUR faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of YOU who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female; for YOU are all one [person] in union with Christ Jesus. 29 Moreover, if YOU belong to Christ, YOU are really Abraham’s seed, heirs with reference to a promise................. Galations3;28
And at Galatians 6:16 this composite body of believers, both Jews and non-Jews, is called the "Israel of God."

With all due respect, this is an attempt to evade the very point you had just made in citing Dr. Bullinger. One cannot have it both ways for the sake of convenience. Either the 144 thousand of the 12 tribes of Israel are literally 144 thousand of the tribes of Israel (as per Dr. Bullinger), or the statement is meaningless (per Dr. Bullinger). It cannot be part literal and part symbolic. If it is symbolic (which flies in the face of your quote of Dr. Bullinger), then all bets are off, it could mean any number of anybody(s).

I have no qualm with JW's, I enjoy discussions with them. Of course, they typically walk away after a discussion shaking their heads, and strangely, I have yet to have a repeat visit...

I enjoy your input here, as I do so many other contributors. Mostly, I just sit by the side and overlook those things I might disagree with. This specific subject strikes a bit close to home though, which is why I am chiming in with my two cents. Please don't take it personally.

Kindest Regards, Q!
Quahom1 said:
Faith is not believing in God (even the devil believes in God), but rather believing God...
Indeed!

The problems arise when certain people "believe" they know what G-d has in mind (especially when they really haven't got a clue...), and deem themselves fit to speak for G-d.

Present company excepted.

Back