Let's talk about Indigo Children

TE

Hyperactivity or no, I was the very definition of independant minded and that could very well have been part of the problem. I never fit the "mold" which is probably why I had those troubles. My parents had the idea that they would raise me never saying just "no" always explaining to me and treating me like an intelligent being. I think that their plans backfired because eventually they wanted me to just listen and it always had to be a debate...

I am an Early CHildhood Educator, so I have taught Preschool, but mainly I taught an Early Intervention Kindercare Program at an Elementary School. I n Canada First Nations Children and ESL have the option to go to Kindergarten all day. Any other children, no matter what their needs cannot. So they created a Pilot Program in an inner city school and I taught that for five years.

That's good to know. I have a developmentally delayed daughter in pre-school. She has language and advanced cognitive delays.

Sunny

Thanks for all the great opinions.

I agree that thye educational system needs some big changes. I am very familiar with both the Waldorf and Montessori methods of education. They are completely opposite ends of the spectrum though. One nature, One nurture.

I disagree that twenty years ago there was no ADHD. As a school kid in the mid eighties, I was constantly in trouble becuase of my hyperactivity. My parents never medicated me but I was never allowed sugar or TV and every report card I received gynormous lectures about my inability to concentrate.

I agree that in many cases children are diagnosed with the "problem" that is popular at the time and it is that that makes the people who truly suffer with a problem, have to justify it and deal with a society that doesn't support

I am still not sure that I am truly convinced though that there is a new type of child called "Indigo"
Miss Amy, what do you think about replacing much of the "mindfulness" medication with mindfulness meditation?

I am not in support of medication except in extreme cases. I would agree that meditation is beneficial to practice at any age. However, not everybody is in support of that. You need to obtain permission to meditate with peoples children because it goes against some strong religious beliefs. "a vacant mind lets the devil in"

I am not in support of medication except in extreme cases. I would agree that meditation is beneficial to practice at any age. However, not everybody is in support of that. You need to obtain permission to meditate with peoples children because it goes against some strong religious beliefs. "a vacant mind lets the devil in"

I wouldn't wish you or any to meditate which my child. Not because I have strong religious beliefs, quite the opposite... But, I wouldn't want you "pushing" your views, values and norms on my child... That will be up to him to choose what he wishes... When he is old enough to choose such things... Religious stuff, as a kid... It's wrong.... lol Seeing as they believe in tooth fairy, easter bunny, Santa, boogey man and so on... They will buy into any set of belife... And it leaves a scar for life unlike the previous beings I mentioned.

Meditation doesn't necessarily need to be clothed in religious trappings. Of course I understand how it can be problematic what with people having a wide variety of opinions and beliefs.

And as far as the Easter Bunny, she was scary!!! I still wet the bed thinking about her and her crazy buck-toothed, basket carryin', googey-eyed, hoppin' along self. Not to mention those loud eggs. :(

:D

"A vacant mind lets the devil in." Haha!! I think my mom told me that once or twice. Of course she also thought Dungeons & Dragons was from the devil and that a band called Faith No More "gets you hooked with those tribal rhythms" or something along those lines. It was all the Great Satan back in those days... Whew. Glad that's over!

Oh no--they're coming to visit in June! :eek:

And as far as the Easter Bunny, she was scary!!! I still wet the bed thinking about her and her crazy buck-toothed, basket carryin', googey-eyed, hoppin' along self. Not to mention those loud eggs.

Yeah... Common occurance... When one is introduced to things such as religion as a child...... :)

i can tell you a bit about this generation! we all have chacras and there are 7 main ones. the one the "indigos"are using is the 3rd eye chacra witch is on the fore head. this chacra is 4 integrity and any "indigo" keeps that integrity no matter what. some can be missguided to want to use other chacras for example because they are hurting but they always bring everything back to 3rd eye chacra or somthing. indigos are said to hurt verry much because they are awake and can notice the difficultys of life lets say. i can not be bothered in saying more!

I basically think that the hole theory of indigo children is rubbish.

I pretty much fit into the most descriptions about indigo children (at least when I have my tantrums). In my opinion they are only people who are more sensitive, intuitive, imaginative, tolerant, profound and perspective than most people are. I don't know if you have ever heard of MBTI or not but in case you have, my theory is that quite many of these indigo children must be Ns, especially NFs (idealists). Things like that stand out in this material and cold, cold world as different and all that is different is alarming and has to be investigated and therefore a theory of some so-called newborn messiahs ready to lead us all into an eternal salvation is created. Or whatever.

About the education. I believe that all students should be supported in their studies according to their talents and weaknesses because personalized teaching furthers learning but virtually it can't be usually afforded, unless one is going on to a private school, etc... But I don't believe that these so-called indigo children should have their own private elite when it comes to education. And bad habits should not be encouraged, as the world is how it is and the easiest way to deal with it is to adapt. At least not in any way as it is in my following example:

"Oops, today I showed my middle finger to the headmaster!" an indigo child screams, weeping.
"Oh honey, it's okay to break social norms because you are SPECIAL and thus you can levitate. Here you go dear, have a lollipop", the mother consolates.

But if those kids have some special talents, those should of course be nourished and encouraged, as personal success is good for the child's self-esteem as well. If imaginative, intuitive and perspective like the description of the indigo children says, one could more easily master the skills of writing, arts, philosophy or psychology, for instance, as they usually require those traits of personality.

I think some of those labeled as indigo children are probably high functioning autistics. Some of the similarities between indigo children and HFA:

trouble conforming

feeling out of place (described sometimes in HFA lit as wrong planet syndrome)

Perceiving the world differently.

Strong intuition about certain things that others do not have (in the case of HFA there is also a lack of understanding about some things most people get which in turn leads to feeling out of place, difficulty conforming etc)

Truth seeker.

Misunderstood by family.

Feeling anti-social unless with people of a like mind.

Emotionally sensitive.

Difficult childhood.

That I got just by going down this list:

Indigo Children

There were some other things about it that could have fit the profile. I think though the description of indigo children is vague enough it could probably fit a lot of people who felt different when they were children.

Back