do you know God by name

I've never really thought of name as defining someone in their entirety, or that even being the purpose of a name? Isn't a name basically a word which distinguishes one person from another? - In which case, for those who believe God to be a personal deity what would be the problem in having a name/s to distinguish Him from other living beings?

If God is an omnipotent, but yet loving personality, he might quite enjoy having a host of names given to him by the various people throughout the universe?

... Neemai :)
Gods name has great meaning behind it . It means ,(HE CAUSES TO BECOME)
(Je·ho´vah) [the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha·wah´ (become); meaning "He Causes to Become"].

And some call Him names that aren't really nice.
very true , and some have an attitude like Pharoah.
Defiance apparently moved him to say "I do not know Jehovah at all." he said this after asking this following question .....
"WHO is Jehovah?"
Pharaoh wanted no answer to his question.
But Pharaoh and all Egypt would soon learn that Jehovah is the true God.
Similarly today, Jehovah will make his name and Godship known to everyone on the earth. (Ezekiel 36:23)

When having an interaction with God, it is not a human relationship as the article supposes that requires a personal name. Since God knows even before we ask, it is not necessary to address or limit God to a personal name as if God were an individual.
A certain one of his disciples said to him: ‘Lord, teach us how to pray.’LUKE 11:1. in his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus had provided his disciples with a model upon which to base their prayers. (Matthew 6:9-13) Possibly this particular disciple was not present at that time, so Jesus kindly repeated the essential points of that model prayer
The opening petition immediately puts first things first. It states: "Let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) Yes, the sanctification of Jehovah’s name should be of primary concern to us because we love him and hate to see all the reproach that has been heaped upon his name. Satan’s rebellion and his inducing the first human couple to disobey Jehovah God slandered His name by calling into question the way God was exercising his universal sovereignty. (Genesis 3:1-6) Furthermore, through the centuries, Jehovah’s name has been reproached by the shameful acts and teachings of those claiming to represent him.
Our prayer for the sanctification of Jehovah’s name shows where we stand on the issue of universal sovereignty—squarely behind Jehovah’s right to govern the universe.
The second petition in the model prayer is: "Let your kingdom come." (Matthew 6:10) This request is closely related to the preceding one. Jehovah’s instrument for sanctifying his holy name is the Messianic Kingdom, his heavenly government, of which his Son, Jesus Christ, is the duly appointed King. (Psalm 2:1-9)

kind of reminds me of going to the store, you see a kid looking for his parents, they call out DAD!!! or MOM!!! they never call out AL!!! or MARIA!!! the kids call them by a more intimate name that reflects they are their child.
yes we can have a very personal relationship with Jehovah,........ nice

When was the last time you read something not from the WT?
LOL i am glad to say that i always keep myself up to date with good spiritual food from the channel that Jesus is feeding matthew 24;45-47 . and it is very tasty indeed , with bits of enlightenment thrown in to make it really tasty :)

and haven't I read that the Aramaic name Jesus used was more akin to Daddy than it was to Father? That as you intimate it was more intimate...not formal, separate, on a pedestal 'Father' but loving, curl up in the easy chair and let's go play ball 'Daddy'
Addressing Jehovah as "our Father" denotes a warm, trusting relationship
Spirit-begotten Christians are adopted as "God’s sons," and to him they can "cry out: ‘Abba, Father!’" (Romans 8:14, 15)

The name first appeared in an English Bible in 1530, when William Tyndale published a translation of the first five books of the Bible. In this he included the name of God, usually spelled Iehouah, in several verses,

Genesis 15:2; Exodus 6:3; 15:3; 17:16; 23:17; 33:19; 34:23; Deuteronomy 3:24. Tyndale also included God’s name in Ezekiel 18:23 and 36:23, in his translations that were added at the end of The New Testament, Antwerp, 1534.
and in a note in this edition he wrote: "Iehovah is God’s name . . . Moreover as oft as thou seist LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing) it is in Hebrew Iehovah." From this the practice arose of using Jehovah’s name in just a few verses and writing "LORD" or "GOD" in most other places where the Tetragrammaton occurs in the Hebrew text.​
In 1611 what became the most widely used English translation, the Authorized Version, was published. In this, the name appeared four times in the main text. (Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4) "Jah," a poetic abbreviation of the name, appeared in Psalm 68:4. And the name appeared in full in place-names such as "Jehovah-jireh." (Genesis 22:14; Exodus 17:15; Judges 6:24) However, following the example of Tyndale, the translators in most instances substituted "LORD" or "GOD" for God’s name. But if God’s name could appear in four verses, why could it not appear in all the other thousands of verses that contain it in the original Hebrew?

As i am English it would have to be in English .PSALM 83;18

Mee, I guess where I was going with this is what juantoo3 posted concerning the fact that there was no "J" in the original greek, so that would mean that Jehovah is an incorrect rendering for the Name of God if you want to be accurate.

Which does bring up the question, should we be using the original pronounciation of God and Jesus in our praise and worship, or is it enough that we understand the concept behind the names we are familiar in our own language? Muslims, for example, would tell you that you do not receive the purest form of the Qu'ran unless it is in Arabic, which they claim is the heavenly language, if I'm not mistaken, and rendered as such by Gabriel when dictating to Muhammed. By the same token, the names of God, and many other concepts found in the Old Testament are difficult to translate and are best understood in the original Hebrew. Would you agree?

Mee, I guess where I was going with this is what juantoo3 posted concerning the fact that there was no "J" in the original greek, so that would mean that Jehovah is an incorrect rendering for the Name of God if you want to be accurate.

Which does bring up the question, should we be using the original pronounciation of God and Jesus in our praise and worship, or is it enough that we understand the concept behind the names we are familiar in our own language? Muslims, for example, would tell you that you do not receive the purest form of the Qu'ran unless it is in Arabic, which they claim is the heavenly language, if I'm not mistaken, and rendered as such by Gabriel when dictating to Muhammed. By the same token, the names of God, and many other concepts found in the Old Testament are difficult to translate and are best understood in the original Hebrew. Would you agree?
How​
Is God’s Name Pronounced?

The truth is, nobody knows for sure how the name of God was originally pronounced. Why not? Well, the first language used in writing the Bible was Hebrew, and when the Hebrew language was written down, the writers wrote only consonants—not vowels. Hence, when the inspired writers wrote God’s name, they naturally did the same thing and wrote only the consonants.
While ancient Hebrew was an everyday spoken language, this presented no problem. The pronunciation of the Name was familiar to the Israelites and when they saw it in writing they supplied the vowels without thinking (just as, for an English reader, the abbreviation "Ltd." represents "Limited" and "bldg." represents "building").
Two things happened to change this situation. First, a superstitious idea arose among the Jews that it was wrong to say the divine name out loud; so when they came to it in their Bible reading they uttered the Hebrew word ’Adho·nai´ ("Sovereign Lord"). Further, as time went by, the ancient Hebrew language itself ceased to be spoken in everyday conversation, and in this way the original Hebrew pronunciation of God’s name was eventually forgotten.
In order to ensure that the pronunciation of the Hebrew language as a whole would not be lost, Jewish scholars of the second half of the first millennium C.E. invented a system of points to represent the missing vowels, and they placed these around the consonants in the Hebrew Bible. Thus, both vowels and consonants were written down, and the pronunciation as it was at that time was preserved.​
When it came to God’s name, instead of putting the proper vowel signs around it, in most cases they put other vowel signs to remind the reader that he should say ’Adho·nai´. From this came the spelling Iehouah, and, eventually, Jehovah became the accepted pronunciation of the divine name in English. This retains the essential elements of God’s name from the Hebrew original

In the Hebrew language it is written יהוה. These four letters, called the Tetragrammaton, are read from right to left in Hebrew and can be represented in many modern languages as YHWH or JHVH. God’s name, represented by these four consonants, appears almost 7,000 times in the original "Old Testament," or Hebrew Scriptures.​
The name is a form of a Hebrew verb ha·wah´ (הוה), meaning "to become," and actually signifies "He Causes to Become." Thus, God’s name identifies him as the One who progressively fulfills his promises and unfailingly realizes his purposes. Only the true God could bear such a meaningful name.

As you are not a spiritual Jew ,then you most be one of the potential OTHER SHEEP that Jesus said would listen to his voice

What "potential"? Nothing potential here. I am a human being, and a child of God. I already have a place in heaven (don't know where yet, but I'll let God deal with the details).

See that's the difference between you and me. While you are still hoping and praying and working for salvation, I'm not. Salvation is already guaranteed, to those who simply ask of Him, and accept the gift that Jesus offers.

And with that "little issue" out of the way, we can roll up our sleeves and get down to the business of hoping, doing works and prayers for the Glory of God, instead of for trying to put ourselves in a favorable light in God's eyes.

Also, instead of watching us from some otherworldly plane, God is right next to us, urging us on; giving comfort, encouragement, strength, and acting as our defender, advocate, counselor...

And that by the way, is why one of God's names is "Imanuel" (God with us)".

v/r

Q

A certain one of his disciples said to him: ‘Lord, teach us how to pray.’LUKE 11:1. in his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus had provided his disciples with a model upon which to base their prayers. (Matthew 6:9-13) Possibly this particular disciple was not present at that time, so Jesus kindly repeated the essential points of that model prayer
The opening petition immediately puts first things first. It states: "Let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) Yes, the sanctification of Jehovah’s name should be of primary concern to us because we love him and hate to see all the reproach that has been heaped upon his name. Satan’s rebellion and his inducing the first human couple to disobey Jehovah God slandered His name by calling into question the way God was exercising his universal sovereignty. (Genesis 3:1-6) Furthermore, through the centuries, Jehovah’s name has been reproached by the shameful acts and teachings of those claiming to represent him.
Our prayer for the sanctification of Jehovah’s name shows where we stand on the issue of universal sovereignty—squarely behind Jehovah’s right to govern the universe.
The second petition in the model prayer is: "Let your kingdom come." (Matthew 6:10) This request is closely related to the preceding one. Jehovah’s instrument for sanctifying his holy name is the Messianic Kingdom, his heavenly government, of which his Son, Jesus Christ, is the duly appointed King. (Psalm 2:1-9)

Mee,

The word used in Mathew 9 for name is .....
onoma,
on'-om-ah; from a presumed derivative of the base of Greek 1097 (ginosko) (compare Greek 3685 (oninemi)); a "name" (literal or figurative) [authority, character]

It can be FIGURATIVE and since Jesus used the word Father as our example it seems to me it must refer to the 'authority' or 'character' of God as santified. If it were as important as you lead us to believe then Jesus would obviously have not told us to use the word Father but rather Jehovah. The disciple is not above his Master so if Father was good enough for Jesus to use, and he taught us to pray likewise then it is good enough for me.

Which is more important? A mans given name or character? It seems to me the answer is obvious. We santify God's authority and character and not some linguistic name that he without a tongue would not even be able to speak. It seems to me that one can put so much importance on the details and names and places and neglect that which is of greater importance. Perhaps the saying of 'not seeing the forest because of all of the trees' is appropriate here. Just some thoughts to consider.

Love and Peace,
JM

P.S. In my view, God is not a man that he is slandered by a name or reproached by men. Neither can God be insulted by that which he has made with his own hands. Perhaps such pettiness and emotions is limited to humans.

How​
Is God’s Name Pronounced?
The truth is, nobody knows for sure how the name of God was originally pronounced. Why not? Well, the first language used in writing the Bible was Hebrew, and when the Hebrew language was written down, the writers wrote only consonants—not vowels. Hence, when the inspired writers wrote God’s name, they naturally did the same thing and wrote only the consonants.
While ancient Hebrew was an everyday spoken language, this presented no problem. The pronunciation of the Name was familiar to the Israelites and when they saw it in writing they supplied the vowels without thinking​

Namaste Mee, this is interesting however since you don't give credit for your cut and paste we can't check out the source. I have always read and heard me the Isrealites never pronounced the name, that that would be sacrilege and demeaning...hence why the writers never wrote the name either...they referred to it, but never wrote it completely....I believe adonai was the word used to substitute...

Kindest Regards, mee!
The name first appeared in an English Bible in 1530, when William Tyndale published a translation of the first five books of the Bible. In this he included the name of God, usually spelled Iehouah, in several verses,

Genesis 15:2; Exodus 6:3; 15:3; 17:16; 23:17; 33:19; 34:23; Deuteronomy 3:24. Tyndale also included God’s name in Ezekiel 18:23 and 36:23, in his translations that were added at the end of The New Testament, Antwerp, 1534.
and in a note in this edition he wrote: "Iehovah is God’s name . . . Moreover as oft as thou seist LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing) it is in Hebrew Iehovah." From this the practice arose of using Jehovah’s name in just a few verses and writing "LORD" or "GOD" in most other places where the Tetragrammaton occurs in the Hebrew text.​
In 1611 what became the most widely used English translation, the Authorized Version, was published. In this, the name appeared four times in the main text. (Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4) "Jah," a poetic abbreviation of the name, appeared in Psalm 68:4. And the name appeared in full in place-names such as "Jehovah-jireh." (Genesis 22:14; Exodus 17:15; Judges 6:24) However, following the example of Tyndale, the translators in most instances substituted "LORD" or "GOD" for God’s name. But if God’s name could appear in four verses, why could it not appear in all the other thousands of verses that contain it in the original Hebrew?
The Tyndale Bible predates the KJV by some number of years, enough that it was the Bible of choice for awhile amongst English Christians. Did you notice you are actually reinforcing what I pointed to, that "Jehovah" / "Iehovah" is an English corruption of the Hebrew Name of the Most High? ("The name first appeared in an English Bible in 1530") Note please that you also reinforce what I said about the letter "j," which didn't come along until about 1555 AD.

Allow me to posit an example to further the literary complications. How does one pronounce the name "Jan?" In America, we instinctively pronounce it to rhyme with "can," as a shortened form of the female name Janet or Janice. However, in certain Northern European countries the name "Jan" is a male name that is pronounced more like "yawn." Add the Celtic twist of Ian. And what we end up with properly translated into American English is the name "John." However, we cannot say definitively that a name spelled by this example is in fact to be translated as "John" without first considering linguistic and cultural context. For all we can know, not being linguists and dependent upon what *real* linguists tell us, it may even be a shortened form of "janitor" or some such. I jest, but only to make the point.

The Tetragrammaton begins with a Hebrew letter yod. A word that begins with a "y" shouldn't by proper English linguistic construction be pronounced as a "j." A j is a j, a y is a y, and an i is an i.

Of course, it is probably just as well to continue using the English corruption of the Name and maintain a semblance of innocence, rather than risk fool heartedly breaking the Command not to vainly utter the name (or cause others to). I am no rabbi or preacher, but this is how I understand this issue. There is a bit of a difference though, in suggesting that the corrupted name is the one and only name, which any student of Bible translation would see right through as not being correct. Jehovah is a Name of the Most High, but it is merely another appointed by humans. Jehovah is not the Name of the Most High.

Dondi brought up an excellent point (Thanks Dondi!). "Which does bring up the question, should we be using the original pronounciation of God and Jesus in our praise and worship, or is it enough that we understand the concept behind the names we are familiar in our own language?" We (protestants) have a number of denominations among us who claim to be taking themselves back to the foundational or fundamental aspects of the faith...but how can this be when something as patently simple as properly pronouncing a name is overlooked? I have raised this issue before, even among those who use another corrupted form of the Name (which I will not repeat because it does head a bit closer to the forbidden zone). Always the same response, that it doesn't matter except when it does matter...denominational interpretation. Depends who is behind the pulpit. Lord help you if you actually dare to read and cipher the text yourself! I stand by the idiom "what is good for the goose, is good for the gander." If one is going to insist upon names being properly pronounced, then one must be consistent and pronounce all names precisely in their original tongue. Alternately, I think one should lay off the heavy handed rhetoric and accept that most names (if not all, included that of the Most High) are transliterations at best once one leaves the confines of the native languages. Jesus was Yashua (proper English translation "Joshua"). Mary was Miriam. Joseph was something like Yosef. James was Yacob. I have seen John spelled Iohannen, which might be Latin. And on and on and on.

So, how much stock are we to put into "intent." I think G-d responds to those who beseech Him in a polite and respectful manner, because He understands what and where that person is at and coming from. I don't think G-d will fault a person for not knowing His actual Name, nor fault a person for calling on a corrupted Name they believe fervently to be His. Likewise considering the Intercessor most Christians know as Jesus, even if that might not actually be His real name.

If one is willing to preach "unforgiving exactitude," then one better be prepared to be met with unforgiving judgment when the time comes. If one can be a bit more flexible, and allow that others might see things just a tad differently, then with what judgment we mete so shall we be judged...in other words we might have a bit of wiggle room on those things we might be just a tad off from "exactitude." We can be forgiven those things we didn't quite fully grasp, such as translational error. ;)

There was one more point worth developing, I think it was JosephM who raised it, about appealing to the Most High as "Father." If the purpose of calling G-d by His Name is to draw oneself closer to the Divine, how can one get any closer (as Jesus showed by example) then to "draw near to the Father?" If one approaches G-d with the respect due to a loved and cherished parent, how can one possibly go wrong? That is about as intimate with the Divine as one can hope for in this existence.

Last edited:
Namaste Mee, this is interesting however since you don't give credit for your cut and paste we can't check out the source. I have always read and heard me the Isrealites never pronounced the name, that that would be sacrilege and demeaning...hence why the writers never wrote the name either...they referred to it, but never wrote it completely....I believe adonai was the word used to substitute...
yes you are quite right to say that many stopped using Gods name . that was not a good thing to do :(

Ok we are Christians right?

Here in the Christian forum...so we only believe in one G!d right?

So if we are talking about G!d's name...what would it be??

Chidanandaroopa? Rudra Brahman? Nataraja? Shiva? Yah? El?

Only one G!d, now if we were Arabic we'd say Allah for the one G!d.

But here we are discussing Jehova, Yahweh, Elohem, Iehova...

For the life of me I don't think G!d cares what we say...

But if we only believe in one G!d and those Egyptian prophets or Hindu Priests, or Taoist monks or Shinto...or whatever common folk wherever had a connection with the divine...there being only one divine....what would be the oldest name??

I didnt know that JW's believed we have spirits??? How can one become a spiritual Jew? And where is "spiritual Jew" found in the bible?

God did not replace His people. That is saying that Gods covenants are not everlasting... you are calling Him a LIAR by believing this.

Gen 7-8:17 7 And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you. 8 Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God."

Covenant means promise..

Everlasting means FOREVER.

All the land of Canaan... GODS Land given to the Jews. Everlasting possession means its THIERS..forever.

God doesnt stutter... God doesnt make mistakes and He does not lose what belongs to Him. No matter what.

I didnt know that JW's believed we have spirits??? How can one become a spiritual Jew? And where is "spiritual Jew" found in the bible?

God did not replace His people. That is saying that Gods covenants are not everlasting... you are calling Him a LIAR by believing this.

Gen 7-8:17 7 And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you. 8 Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God."

Covenant means promise..

Everlasting means FOREVER.

All the land of Canaan... GODS Land given to the Jews. Everlasting possession means its THIERS..forever.

God doesnt stutter... God doesnt make mistakes and He does not lose what belongs to Him. No matter what.
Genesis 7;- 8-17:confused:
Are there Jews, spiritually speaking?
a Jew in a spiritual sense. As the apostle Paul said: "He is not a Jew who is one on the outside, nor is circumcision that which is on the outside upon the flesh. But he is a Jew who is one on the inside, and his circumcision is that of the heart by spirit, and not by a written code."
Romans 2:28, 29:
Paul was here saying that one who serves Jehovah God from the heart is a real Jew.
Similarly, at Galatians 3:29 he states that all who belong to Christ, who are members of his body, anointed by God’s holy spirit, are in fact Abraham’s seed and therefore also Jews, that is, spiritual Jews.
as recorded at Exodus 19:5, 6. There we read: "And now IF you will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant, then you will certainly become my special property out of all other peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me. And you yourselves will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation."........................ yes as the bible says ...IF.... they listen to his voice .......... but they did not listen to the voice of God did they , they could have become kings and priests with Jesus in the heavenly kingdom but they rejected Jesus . so a new chosen nation will be going to heaven and they are all spiritual Jews at heart . yes some were individual natural Jews from the natural nation of israel, but the 144,000 are from ALL nations . but the nation as a whole did not listen to Jesus . so they lost their chance to be a nation of kings and priests in the heavens.

Back