Changing Sexual Orientation Is Possible, New Research Says

are we talking phobia or credibility? i see it as credibility.

I guess I don't understand what you're saying. My interpretation of Bishop Tutu's comments is that he thinks that the Anglican Church's approach to the issue to be both homophobic and not credible. Which would land Archbishop Williams on the side of caving in to conservative demands upon him and the Anglican Communion in practicing exclusion in the ranks of Church leadership..

Homophobic in that heterosexual Church leadership would rather prevent homosexuals from becoming fellow leaders in the Church, which can only be attributable to some sort of ill-defined fear, than to find them acceptable to lead people of differing sexual orientations as the heterosexual leaders now do.

Not credible in that decisions to be homosexual are made by individuals on a conscious basis, while Tutu asserts that homosexuals really have no choice as to what they are and how they relate to others as sexual beings, and that G-d, by any measure, is primarily thought of as a welcoming entity. What he is asserting is that Anglican policy is both phobic and not credible.

I made the statement about a year ago on another thread that by maintaining such attitudes the Anglican Church was in danger of becoming intellectually bankrupt. At least, in this respect, I've got some good company now.

flow....:rolleyes:

I guess I don't understand what you're saying.
do you think the church doesnt want homosexual preachers because they are homophobic, or do you think it is because a sermon from a homosexual preacher would not be credible. in other words, people might think how can one tell us about god's word, when one is living a daily rejection of it?

Blazn....My impression of Tutu's comments was that he wasn't speaking about the "preaching" function per se, but rather the overall attitudes of the Anglican Church hierarchy.

Besides, your interpretation of all this may be just a little prejudiced by your personal views on this issue. To me it doesn't make a difference what a "preacher's" sexual orientation is. But then the denomination that I used to be active in fully accepted participation by homosexuals on both sides of the pulpit years ago.

The issue for me is whether the he or she doing the "preaching" makes sense to me or not. I don't feel that I am there in any way to judge their personal habits against a literal standard that is thousands of years old. Literal, ver batum acceptance of scripture admonitions at their "face value" is not an issue for me. As far as I'm concerned everything in scripture is open to literary analysis and interpretation.

Scripture is very excellent literature, and as such has many levels of understanding embedded within its words and meanings. You have your interpretations and others of us have ours.

flow....:rolleyes:

do you think the church doesnt want homosexual preachers because they are homophobic, or do you think it is because a sermon from a homosexual preacher would not be credible. in other words, people might think how can one tell us about god's word, when one is living a daily rejection of it?

I'm coming in a bit late here, and I unfortunately do not have time to read the 11+ pages of discussion, but I read some of the beginning and the end. (Does that count as the Cliff Notes version? :eek:)

First, my opinion of the study. A study of 96 individuals is not large enough to be representative of 10% or so of humanity that is homosexual. Furthermore, most research confirms that humans are plastic/flexible in their sexuality. That is, most humans can be convinced by culture to express sexuality in either homosexual or heterosexual ways, despite their inherent sexuality being on a continuum of one or the other or both (bisexual) or neither (asexual, and yes, this forgotten group does exist). Many people realize they are bisexual or homosexual only after years of acting as heterosexual because they may not recognize those options as viable, not only consciously but also subconsciously. Likewise, a person who is inherently somewhere in the middle of the spectrum (i.e., perhaps not bisexual, but on neither pole) may have a conversion to conservative Christianity, Judaism, or Islam that leads them to reject homosexuality in favor of heterosexuality. The point is, 96 people is not a sufficient sample size to prove much of anything with regards to sexuality. There have been countless studies of hundreds of cultures, and scientists the world over still haven't figured out what exactly goes on with human sexuality and what part is natural versus what is cultural. We do know, definitively, that homosexual acts exist in other mammals and birds. We also know that approximately 10% of people tend to have strong homosexual tendencies (outweighing heterosexual ones) and this is cross-culturally the case. Both of which lead to the logical conclusion that homosexuality is, in part, a natural urge for some people under all circumstances, and for a greater number of people in certain, limited circumstances.

Second, none of that amounts to a hill of beans with regards to what Christians think about practicing homosexuality. There seems to be three relatively popular beliefs: (1) the conservative belief that homosexuality in both thought/urge and action is sin (and homosexuality is often presented as somehow a *greater* sin than others), (2) the moderate belief that homosexuality in thought/urge is natural and unavoidable for some people (and is not a sin) but the action is a sin (so basically homosexuals should remain single and celibate), and (3) the liberal belief that homosexuality is natural in both thought and action, sexuality is people's personal business as long as it is consensual between adults, and the Hebrew laws against it were, like rules about eating fruit from trees five years old or greater, bound to that time and culture (and therefore not applying to us, since we live under Christ's grace). Of course, there are varieties. But that's the basic three arguments I see going 'round and 'round. I tend to think #1 is unjust, since it is clear that some people are born homosexual and realize this at a very early age.

What gets me is the attention that homosexuality gets as a sin in Christianity. If you're going to be a Biblical literalist and care about enforcing ALL the rules, well... I know of no Christian groups that do this very well, though the Amish at least make serious attempts. After all, you have to realize that homosexuality was chastened in the OT about as often as wearing mixed-fiber clothing, and lets face it, 2000 years later very few of us Christians are carrying banners and shouting at people who have linen-wool blend suits on. We don't attack one another for eating shellfish. And don't use the cop-out that homosexuality matters because Paul said so, and he said the other stuff didn't. Paul also said women were to be silent in church, that women were to wear headcoverings, and that we shouldn't wear jewelry or make-up or braid our hair. Even Paul was picking and choosing, and perhaps this makes since due to the hundreds and hundreds of rules governing behavior in the OT. It is staggering.

My point is, the Bible actually doesn't say THAT much about homosexuality. It says far more about healthy eating and doing away with poverty. Yet it is homosexuality that is THE issue in so many American churches. Why? Well, if you want my honest opinion, it's because homosexuals are a minority group. It is easy to pick on them for being sinners and feel better about oneself as having scratched one more sin off the list of stuff you won't ever do, generally through no real work of your own. It is not easy to pick on people for eating shellfish, or shaving (yeah, men aren't supposed to shave in the OT), or failing to wear a headcovering, or... the biggest sin we partake in here in the good 'ole USA- contributing to poverty by consuming a ton of the cheapest stuff we can find.

Seems to me that we all live a life that rejects the Bible's teachings, if by "rejection" you mean "daily sinning, including doing things the Bible commands us not to do." This is why we are called to LOVE. Instead of focusing on the wrongs of others, we love God and we love each other.

In love,
Path/Kim

I hate to do this, but my type-A personality is taking over. I tried several times to edit, but for some reason it freezes up each time. In paragraph #4, of course "lets" is "let's" and "since" is "sense." I think I'm a bit on the tired side.

Last night on my local cable news channel I heard about how several local Baptist churches are making a stand as being gay-friendly, and welcoming of ALL members of their congretations - regardless as to sexual orientation, and folks, my heart was warmed. I admit it, I did a double take, and said, "The Baptists are saying this!?!" :eek:

The reason for the news spot is that the Southern Baptist Convention here in the US is big business, and they'd love to see every last Baptist church get all anti-gay and just plain hateful about things. When I saw that even my LOCAL churches are willing to `come out' and demonstrate the Love and the Forgiveness of Christ (this being how some will see the gay issue, regardless, as we know) ... folks, I just got warm fuzzies all over.

Makes me think again about my own stereotypes ... and foolish prejudices. I just hope others are also willing to take a lesson. ;) :)

Path...It is so good to have your crystal clear word back on the forum. I hope your move NW is doing well by you and yours.

My take on it all is based upon my years of readings in cross cultural studies of native and indigenous peoples. One of the most striking aspects in this is the impression that practically all ancient native cultures believed in the ambiguous gender of the Greatest Spirit. They idolized, demonstrated, and personified this in many ways. But among scholars of cultural anthropology, this fact is generally accepted. Even the Ancient Hebrews depicted Yahweh accompanied by a female consort on ancient pottery.

For me "back to the future" is more than a movie title. As the reality of the world begins to realize the He/She attributes of G-d in some greater depths, so also will the reactionary blowback increase in the major religions of the West owing to their 6,000 year dedication to the myths of patriarchal rule. The singling out of homosexuals for abuse in conservative communities is but one aspect of this IMHO.

I agree with Bishop Tutu. Above all things, we need to think of G-d as a spiritual presence that welcomes all people to the realm of love and peaceful creation.

flow....;)

There have been a couple of developments since I was last active on this thread.
The Michigan Supreme Court heard the case about interpreting Proposal 2, forbidding the state from recognizing anything "similar" to a marriage, for "any" purpose. That language is broad enough to drive a truck through: aside from the interpretation the Appeals Court gave it, that public employers are not allowed to let employees carry partners or dependents on their insurance, some had read it to mean that even if private employers give domestic-partner insurance, an insurance company would not actually be obligated to pay up, since a court could not enforce the contract without "recognizing" something "similar" to a marriage etc. It is well known that the Michigan Supremes are bought and paid for by the insurance industry, so there was a great deal of nervousness about how they would rule in this case.
However, the judges seemed totally skeptical and even a little hostile in questioning the Attorney General (a "family" Republican, originally backed by the Traditional Values Coalition, then re-elected even though he had just been caught screwing his secretary on the courtroom floor for extra frisson; but since his wife was standing by him when he did the full Jimmy Swaggart, the voters forgave him-- and this bastard has the freaking nerve to say that WE are a threat to the sacred institution of marriage!). They asked about language used by the Ohio Supreme Court in a ruling a while back, which gutted a similarly broad constitutional amendment that passed in that state: according to the Ohio Supremes, it means only that a "civil union" or similarly-named marriage-light, which granted the "full bundle of rights" associated with marriage, cannot be allowed in Ohio; they rejected the argument that a "domestic partnership" granting only "one, or a few, of the sticks in the bundle of rights" (joint insurance, for example) was forbidden. Also, the Michigan case had changed since the Appeals Court ruling: the defendant school system, and other public employers in Michigan, granted unmarried people the right to joint insurance for any one non-blood-related person, without requiring any kind of registered partnership or cohabitation or showing of dependency or anything. This of course would threaten to "bankrupt" the insurance companies (in Quahom's imagined scenario) far more than the original setup ever would have, but the judges seemed to find it an acceptable way to avoid any "recognition" of something "similar" to marriage.

The other development is stranger. I was asked if I had not, ever in my life, had a conservative Christian treat me with kindness, and I mentioned that I did have one good close friend on the boards who was a conservative. Now, it turns out, this person was lying to me completely, for years, with no apparent motive for the lying even. It has left me in a state of hurt puzzlement.

In some cases, pedophiles are reacting to having been abused themselves, and replaying it; these are more likely to be changeable. In other cases, the pedophilia appears to be "hard-wired" and immutable; such pedophiles can only be prevented from hurting children by confinement, close monitoring, or sometimes severe hormonal treatments will do the trick.

In some cases, pedophiles are reacting to having been abused themselves, and replaying it; these are more likely to be changeable. In other cases, the pedophilia appears to be "hard-wired" and immutable; such pedophiles can only be prevented from hurting children by confinement, close monitoring, or sometimes severe hormonal treatments will do the trick.

I can entertain and perhaps agree with your assesment. The question is, how do we know the difference? And in either case, the perpetrator must be judged and punished for willful and detrimental acts against an innocent and helpless child.

There is a deep seated, indeed a primal hatred for those that harm children deliberately. Even the most hard core criminal refuses to entertain or accept the harming of a child.

I don't mean to thump scripture at this point, but New Testament (the enlightened, kindler gentler half of the bible...) states that it is better to have a milstone tied around one's neck and be thrown into the sea, than to deliberately cause a child to stumble.

And pedophilia is a deliberate decision to engage in morally void actions against a child, no matter what angle we attempt to view it by.

Sociopathy also is typically hard-wired and while sociopaths can sometimes learn to behave appropriately, this does not mean they ever have the sympathetic emotions a person with normal wiring has. I feel for them and all people who have severe mental illnesses that result in harm to others, and I don't believe in capital punishment (particularly for cases where it is a malfunction of the brain and not a moral choice) but I do believe in confinement for people who cannot help but harm others.

I think I have a hard time understanding why pedophiles cannot simply avoid sex in order to make the correct moral choice. We all are attracted to people sexually (well, unless you are asexual) and those of us who marry are expected to avoid acting on that attraction except with our spouse. I fail to see why it is some great feat of moral fibre to simply avoid acting on inappropriate attractions, whether this is avoiding adultery or, in the case of a pedophile, avoiding children. I wonder if pedophilia is not simply attraction, but closer to sex addiction? Since I know that sex addicts also have severe problems with avoiding acting on attraction, since it isn't really about sex and attraction at all. At that point, it is about other things- control, power, the adrenalin of knowing you're doing something wrong.

Either way, if a person cannot stick with people who are of an age to consent, s/he needs to be confined. And I say this equally and intentionally for both sexes. This cultural thing in the US of acting like women preying on boys isn't as repulsive as men preying on girls is wrong. It still will mess up the child, no matter if he is male or not.

And what about the addictive compulsion on the part of Christians that, whenever there is a discussion about homosexuality, they must bring up the subject of pedophilia, whether they think it has any relevance or not? I cannot believe that this compulsion is inborn, since Christianity itself does not seem to be inborn.

And what about the addictive compulsion on the part of Christians that, whenever there is a discussion about homosexuality, they must bring up the subject of pedophilia, whether they think it has any relevance or not? I cannot believe that this compulsion is inborn, since Christianity itself does not seem to be inborn.

When ever a fool can't stand up to an arguement, just bring out Christians as an excuse, and everybody nods their heads as if that explains the world's problems...and solves the dillemma at hand. No body brought up Christianity, until you, Bob...

Got news for you. Christians did not invent homosexuality, nor pedophilia. Ya gotta go back further in time...way back. Christians simply don't except either as a behavior rationale, or moral.

You ain't gonna change that, no matter how much you complain. That is just life.

I am confused. As far as I know, you brought up pedophilia. I don't see pedophilia as having anything to do with homosexuality. But I figured I'd respond to the tangent you brought up. Maybe someone else brought it up in the 11 pages I failed to read? Dunno. :confused:

Juantoo brought it up-- again.

Thank you.

Oh, OK. Must have been in the 11 pages that I didn't read. That's what I get for reading the Clif Notes version. :eek:

No need to thank me for what is clearly two different behaviors. I didn't know that many Christians see any connection between pedophilia and homosexuality. Most of the Christians I know see them as two totally different and unrelated things.

Back