Changing Sexual Orientation Is Possible, New Research Says

You win

If I say anymore about Sin or about Christ dieing on the cross to save sinners me included I have become all you accuse me of.

Peace

Hello everyone,

I'm new and I've read this thread with great interest. I'm gay. When I first came out a few years ago I thought sexuality was etched in stone. But since I've come into contact with more people over the last few years I tend towards the opinion that there can be some flexibilty on that score but that most people are comfortable on one side of the fence or the other.

On the actual statisitcs of the report-that 15% of the gay people who went to see these evangelicals were "turned"-I just don't know. I'd like to see a similar study where straight people learned to convince themselves they were gay and see if we get a similar percentage rate. Then we can have a comparison. But do you know, I just don't see that study coming about:)

What I am seriously concerned about are people who say that they have changed but have in fact not done so and are simply trying to appease others and make themselves more socially acceptable to their peers. It must be awfull. It would be like running back into the closet and sloting the locks in behind you-a sitution I would never want to be in.

Kindest Regards, Andrew!
When we fight the war of words, even the war on ideas, we sometimes forget the battle that goes on in our hearts ... and why.

We also seem to forget that the same freedom to speak our minds and hearts also means we have an inherent right to disagree. Clouding the issue with emotional blackmail to disguise this fact does not change it.

The perps that attack gays are criminals, regardless of what banner they hide behind.

The fact that some respected people in my life including co-workers and professors live lifestyles I disagree with in no manner means I cannot work with or learn from them. I have been the last remaining lifeline and friend to far more than simply gays who were otherwise socially on the outs with the rest of society. I can agree to disagree and remain friends, something I challenge everyone to do.

Some are quick to point that Jesus communed with thieves, drunks and prostitutes. I agree. The point overlooked is that he did not have to agree with their behaviour, and he didn't.

If a person has decided to live a gay life, so be it, for them. Do not expect me to agree with that lifestyle, for myself. I do not agree with the lifestyle of drunks and addicts, pimps and frauds, and a host of other lifestyle choices. That does not make me intolerant, that makes me thoughtful. What is more, it is my fundamental right to make my own decisions, on this or any other matter, by which to guide my life.

So, Andrew, barbs notwithstanding, for I have and had many acquaintances and some friends that lead "alternate" lifestyles, I wonder when you will have the "guts" I believe is how you phrased it, to have friends who are paedophiles, or frauds, or hard drug addicts? How many criminals in prison do you visit, or at least write to? This "tolerance" thing really does transcend just the gay political lobby.

On the actual statisitcs of the report-that 15% of the gay people who went to see these evangelicals were "turned"
Namaste and Welcome to CR Doug!

Your points are well taken. My question what will their orientation be 5-10-20 years from now. I knew a psychologist, he was writing a book on this subject, prided himself in 'turning' folks right. I found his attitude and thoughts fairly swarmy. I'd prefer to be in the company of gay folks than he and his family.
... have friends who are paedophiles, or frauds, or hard drug addicts? How many criminals in prison do you visit....
You know I don't visit prisons...but for some reason lately I've been drawn to doing something in that regard...don't know what yet...but as far those classified by society as criminals as friends and acquaintances ... I think I may have too many...(granted I don't see them near as often as I used to...)

Kindest Regards, Andrew!

We also seem to forget that the same freedom to speak our minds and hearts also means we have an inherent right to disagree. Clouding the issue with emotional blackmail to disguise this fact does not change it.

The perps that attack gays are criminals, regardless of what banner they hide behind.

The fact that some respected people in my life including co-workers and professors live lifestyles I disagree with in no manner means I cannot work with or learn from them. I have been the last remaining lifeline and friend to far more than simply gays who were otherwise socially on the outs with the rest of society. I can agree to disagree and remain friends, something I challenge everyone to do.

Some are quick to point that Jesus communed with thieves, drunks and prostitutes. I agree. The point overlooked is that he did not have to agree with their behaviour, and he didn't.

If a person has decided to live a gay life, so be it, for them. Do not expect me to agree with that lifestyle, for myself. I do not agree with the lifestyle of drunks and addicts, pimps and frauds, and a host of other lifestyle choices. That does not make me intolerant, that makes me thoughtful. What is more, it is my fundamental right to make my own decisions, on this or any other matter, by which to guide my life.

So, Andrew, barbs notwithstanding, for I have and had many acquaintances and some friends that lead "alternate" lifestyles, I wonder when you will have the "guts" I believe is how you phrased it, to have friends who are paedophiles, or frauds, or hard drug addicts? How many criminals in prison do you visit, or at least write to? This "tolerance" thing really does transcend just the gay political lobby.
juantoo3,

I am sorry you have issues. Those, however, are YOUR problem ... not mine. I will not let you MAKE them my problem, and you will NEVER hear me say, "Oh, it's okay now, I see what you mean ... you don't really hate me!" :rolleyes:

Yeah, right!

Just as it would be impossible to help you to understand that Jesus never touched a drop of WINE in his adult life, it will be impossible for me to get it across to you that LOVING people was not some kind of great big publicity stunt!

But that is what you have tried to turn it into. And frankly, you only make an ass of yourself, when you continue to try and compare homosexuals to "paedophiles, or frauds, or hard drug addicts" and imprisoned "criminals." juantoo3, this shows that your hate actually runs quite deep, and that, if you had your way, this is EXACTLY where you would like to see homosexuals (put, or kept).

Brother, you HAVE said it. You have said it about three times now. And so let me respond with my own idea, for how to handle your particular problem (that is, the problem which YOU (re)present):
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they took all the intolerant people ... and put THEM behind bars. And no, I will not discriminate. So I don't care WHAT your chosen religion happens to be. Such intolerance DESERVES punishment, regardless, and such people deserve to have a permanent label tattoo'd to their head ... maybe something like, "Hates gays," short 'n sweet. That way, we can keep track of you, and know when to get out of the way ... especially when we see a mob of you coming - whether you're singing, Praise Jesus as you march angrily forward ... or kill the queers. As some folks have noticed, these amount to the same thing.​
I do live in the Bible Belt, but I'll be honest. I haven't seen this kind of prejudice and intolerance for quite some time. But I am grateful that we have the opportunity to work it out, on a discussion forum, first - rather than to have to confront it, perhaps in more difficult circumstances, on a day to day, real life basis.

You might be surprised, juantoo3, at just how uncomfortable YOU make homosexuals. You have a CHOICE ... as to whether or not to demonstrate that you have heard ONE WORD of Christ's message to LOVE. And if you choose non-acceptance, with regard to gay people, your choice is made.

{Added: No one is asking you, nor has anyone asked, that you adopt a gay lifestyle, have gay sex, or advocate homosexuality. You, of course, make it sound like all three of these are true. But again, NO ONE has even SUGGESTED it. Your CHOICES are yours; and SO is the choice to LOVE. You don't seem to recognize that yet. All you can say, is "Well, I WOULD choose to Love, BUT -"}

~Andrew

Hmm, in the above post, I notice that things may sound a bit extreme ... the way I've worded them. Therefore, if this doesn't quite seem to fit - since `hate' is a rather strong word - just replace `hate' with fear, homophobia and intolerance. Then, I think you'll find everything fits right into place.

~andrew

Hmm, in the above post, I notice that things may sound a bit extreme ... the way I've worded them. Therefore, if this doesn't quite seem to fit - since `hate' is a rather strong word - just replace `hate' with fear, homophobia and intolerance. Then, I think you'll find everything fits right into place.

~andrew

Or do you still not understand? Judge not that you be not judged. Because you accuse me, multiple times now in this thread, of hatred, does not make it so.

From where I sit, I think you see something in me that reminds of something that disgusts you about yourself.

Tolerance and acceptance are not the same thing. I can tolerate without being acceptant, even though you might disagree.

Freedom is a two way street. So is intelligent dialogue. Shouting me down with name calling and false accusations does not change the fact that I have a right to guide my life every bit as much as you have a right to guide yours.

Unless of course, you wish to deny me what is rightfully mine...which makes you guilty of what you accuse me of?

So, how many people in prisons and hospitals and nursing homes and homeless shelters do you visit and comfort, even by mail? Simple question, how about a simple, straightforward answer? Put your money where your mouth is. G-d knows you've eaten enough rice gruel, perhaps its time you started washing your bowl? I showed you mine, now show all of us yours.

Luv ya, bro, just not in that way.

Last edited:
Perhaps we might all benefit from the repeat of an old adage muttered by an obscure carpenter quite a few years ago..."measure twice...cut once ".

flow....;)

I have a right to guide my life every bit as much as you have a right to guide yours.
More than a right, juantoo3, it is even a responsibility. So why not mind your OWN affairs, and STOP trying to play GOD for other people. :eek: :(

juantoo3 said:
So, how many people in prisons and hospitals and nursing homes and homeless shelters do you visit and comfort, even by mail? Simple question, how about a simple, straightforward answer? Put your money where your mouth is. G-d knows you've eaten enough rice gruel, perhaps its time you started washing your bowl? I showed you mine, now show all of us yours.
Hmmm, let's see, Mr. Self-Righteous, I literally JUST stepped foot back in my house from spending time with a 102 year old friend, and co-esotericist. You wouldn't last 2 minutes in her company, I'm afraid. Her BS-meter is far too sensitive for what you're shoveling. You see, she's taught me more about the CHRIST within, and about what it means to LIVE it, than I would ever learn in a book of Sundays, sitting listening to your empty rhetoric on "hating the sin, loving the sinner." It is you, who needs to put his money where his mouth is.

The friend I visited, I have visited OFTEN. I visited her while in the hospital, on multiple occasions, during her recent extended stay. I have now taken down well over a dozen letters for her, since it is both a service to her, and a way of helping to fulfil my small part in the ONE WORK ... as esotericists often refer to it.

I also do shopping for this person, both in her company, and as I did earlier this afternoon - alone - when she is unable to get out (at age 102) and accompany me. But I do it, not just because she is unable, or needs the help, I do it because it is a true JOY. And I do it gladly, with no thought of reward or payback, in Heaven. What can YOU even tell me, about this `Heaven' of yours, juantoo3 ... being as how you have no direct experience of it?

How do I know, that you haven't direct experience of this Heaven, the one which Christ Jesus taught me - and you - is right here, right now, even within us ... for those with eyes to see, and ears to hear? Because, my friend, I STILL NOTICE - that you are talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

I STILL SEE, that you have mistaken the teachings of Christ, for something you have been spoon-fed, and swallowed all too readily, as it is easier to digest, and less prone to UPSET your delicate mental digestive tract. Christ taught us to LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR as ourselves, yet He also told us THIS:
For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? -- Matthew 5:46-47
You do not know HOW to love your (supposed) enemies. And yet, homosexuals are not your enemies, except through your own, self-declared WAR ... which ye wage, foolishly, from a vantage point of self-righteousness and divisiveness.

This war is one that need not go on. If you CLAIM to follow Jesus, or to believe in the LEAST of His Teachings, His Good Works, and His Ministry - its Aim and its Purpose - then it is you who needs to put his money where his mouth is. It is YOU who needs to show me, that you do NOT hate queers. For I know that you are afraid of homosexuality, and homosexuals, both for their lifestyle, and also because it would embarrass you greatly, to have to admit ... that you have made a mountain out of a molehill, and that in fact, Christ REALLY DID MEAN that we should love EVERYONE - and not just those select, closest few, who happen to be our friends, and believe the way we do, and accept our same sympathies and antipathies. But then, IGNORE your own HOLY BOOK, as you are wont to do, when it is more convenient. This, as you point out, is your RIGHT.

juantoo3 said:
Luv ya, bro, just not in that way.
Then in just exactly what way do you actually love ... since homosexuality clearly makes you quite uncomfortable - not just in imagining possibilities, but even just conversing with people who have CHOSEN that lifestyle? Other than TYPING the words ... how IS IT, that you "love" me - or in fact, ANYONE, who just happens not to fit your narrow mold?

There is the synoptic Christ, who taught a morality of "reciprocity", based on the principle of treating others as if they were people like yourself (which they are)
I am sorry for your hang-ups. This is the internet, you can tell me that you are the queen of England....
Patti: LOL, it sounded like you thought it was a "hang-up" of mine that I think others should be treated like yourself, and that calling myself another person just like you was as absurd as claiming to be the queen of England.
The fact remains you are spinning your wheels if you are trying to blame Christianity for this crime. People who commit crimes are criminals
Sure. Christian criminals, in this case, motivated by their Christianity. Christians have murdered Jews, heathens, witches, "heretics", and homosexuals for many centuries, motivated by their Christianity. You are spinning your wheels if you are trying to pretend Christianity has nothing to do with it.

I can agree to disagree and remain friends, something I challenge everyone to do.
Juantoo, when you say that I am the same kind of person as a child molester, that is not at all being a friend. It is foul, and utterly uncalled-for. I do not understand how you can fail to see how profoundly you are my enemy when you speak in such a way. Accusing us of being child molesters is the customary way to incite our murder (the equivalent of "Jews bake their Passover matzohs with Christian babies' blood"). You want to pretend you have nothing to do with the thugs, but the words you utter are the very air they breathe.
If a person has decided to live a gay life...
One more time, I didn't get to DECIDE. It's my life, that's all.

IMO, sexual orientation is a continuum. I believe people are more or less bisexual by nature, and then we are conditioned one way or the other, to start.

Excuse me, please...
but, "by nature", sex is geared towards nesting and procreation.
Survival of the species.

Not the game itself.

That is the bottom line.
It cannot be disputed.

And what you are saying is, in fact, also a type of conditioning.

Kindest Regards, Andrew.
More than a right, juantoo3, it is even a responsibility. So why not mind your OWN affairs, and STOP trying to play GOD for other people. :eek: :(
It is not I playing G-d, that to me would be blasphemous. So why then do you continue in this thread and elsewhere to deny others their responsibility and right to conduct their own affairs? If there is no harm to you or others, what threat causes such vitriol from you?

Hmmm, let's see, Mr. Self-Righteous,
Why the continued ad hoiminem attacks? I have not attacked you a single time in this discussion. I have only, simply and politely disagreed. My simple disagreement is sufficient for your attacks?

I literally JUST stepped foot back in my house from spending time with a 102 year old friend, and co-esotericist.
Anybody who has managed to live past 100 years has my respect.

I see that your personal philanthropy is narrowly limited though, to one who is specifically called out by you in your specific camp. It is hardly any burden to help those with whom we are comfortable, how many have you helped that make you otherwise uncomfortable?

I have been a lifeline to two people in jail, one a drug addict and the other a paedophile. I work in a hospital serving and working with those I agree with and those I disagree with, including gays and AIDS patients (and a whole assortment of other angry cusses). I have served in a soup kitchen for the homeless. I have been the only remaining friend to someone who got caught in a gay act in the military and was later discharged because of it. I have been surrounded by disabled people, myself included, for well over ten years now. I have lived in inter-racial families since I was 13 or so. I live in an inter-racial marriage now. But I am the narrow minded bigot here, let us not forget.

Make no mistake, I am no saint and do not pretend to be one. These were and are no burden to me (well, maybe the soup kitchen, I did that with ulterior motive). These are simply what I felt was the right thing to do.

I don't give to every panhandler. I don't go out of my way for every fashionable political civil rights lobby. I am just an ordinary guy trying to make my way back to the Heavenly Father. I do what I feel is best most of the time, and some of the time I don't. I'm human. Which seems to not be enough for some, and too much for others, so I can't win for losing anyway, so to hell with trying to please everybody. I'm not about to walk on eggshells just because you or any other is throwing a temper tantrum.

You wouldn't last 2 minutes in her company, I'm afraid. Her BS-meter is far too sensitive for what you're shoveling. You see, she's taught me more about the CHRIST within, and about what it means to LIVE it, than I would ever learn in a book of Sundays, sitting listening to your empty rhetoric on "hating the sin, loving the sinner." It is you, who needs to put his money where his mouth is.
It's too bad she would be so biased and prejudiced, I would have thought better.

The friend I visited, I have visited OFTEN. I visited her while in the hospital, on multiple occasions, during her recent extended stay. I have now taken down well over a dozen letters for her, since it is both a service to her, and a way of helping to fulfil my small part in the ONE WORK ... as esotericists often refer to it.

I also do shopping for this person, both in her company, and as I did earlier this afternoon - alone - when she is unable to get out (at age 102) and accompany me. But I do it, not just because she is unable, or needs the help, I do it because it is a true JOY. And I do it gladly, with no thought of reward or payback, in Heaven.
Cool, I used to do much the same for my great grand mother when she was still alive. Notice I didn't count her above, because she is mine, just as I am hers. Not unlike how you have claimed your friend as your own, and she has you.

What can YOU even tell me, about this `Heaven' of yours, juantoo3 ... being as how you have no direct experience of it?
No more than you can tell me, being as you have had no direct experience of it either.

How do I know, that you haven't direct experience of this Heaven, the one which Christ Jesus taught me - and you - is right here, right now, even within us ... for those with eyes to see, and ears to hear? Because, my friend, I STILL NOTICE - that you are talking the talk, but not walking the walk.
I find this comment ironic, to be polite.

I STILL SEE, that you have mistaken the teachings of Christ, for something you have been spoon-fed, and swallowed all too readily, as it is easier to digest, and less prone to UPSET your delicate mental digestive tract. Christ taught us to LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR as ourselves, yet He also told us THIS:
For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? -- Matthew 5:46-47
You do not know HOW to love your (supposed) enemies. And yet, homosexuals are not your enemies, except through your own, self-declared WAR ... which ye wage, foolishly, from a vantage point of self-righteousness and divisiveness.
I see you still lump people together and paint with a huge brush. But I'm the one that is prejudiced.

This war is one that need not go on.
Indeed. So cease and desist.

If you CLAIM to follow Jesus, or to believe in the LEAST of His Teachings, His Good Works, and His Ministry - its Aim and its Purpose - then it is you who needs to put his money where his mouth is. It is YOU who needs to show me, that you do NOT hate queers. For I know that you are afraid of homosexuality, and homosexuals, both for their lifestyle, and also because it would embarrass you greatly, to have to admit ... that you have made a mountain out of a molehill, and that in fact, Christ REALLY DID MEAN that we should love EVERYONE - and not just those select, closest few, who happen to be our friends, and believe the way we do, and accept our same sympathies and antipathies. But then, IGNORE your own HOLY BOOK, as you are wont to do, when it is more convenient. This, as you point out, is your RIGHT.
I have already laid that evidence before you, and as I suspected it would be ignored. Want signed affadavits? If you claim to follow Blavatsky and Bailey, et al, then why are you so venomous?

Then in just exactly what way do you actually love
Interesting and ironic, that you should ask.

... since homosexuality clearly makes you quite uncomfortable
You mean like how my sticking to my faith walk makes you uncomfortable? Or my open disagreement with you makes you uncomfortable? Or how my mentioning homosexuality in the same paragraph as common criminals makes you uncomfortable? Or how conservative politics makes you uncomfortable?

- not just in imagining possibilities,
A colonoscopy without the benefit of anesthetic? That would be one heck of a toy, wouldn't it? I don't recommend a prostate biopsy though, that thing doesn't play nice at all.

but even just conversing with people who have CHOSEN that lifestyle?
You don't know me from Adam, you don't know who I know, who I converse with, who I commune with. Frankly, it's none of your business either. And it is very, very presumptive of you to think you do.

Other than TYPING the words ... how IS IT, that you "love" me - or in fact, ANYONE, who just happens not to fit your narrow mold?
By your own admission your focus is limited to your own, but I'm the one that's narrow minded? I have yet to see you exhibit the love you prattle on about.

I know we have a long adversarial history. I did not bring this issue to you, you brought it here. I am on defense, and I am not backing down. Not from you, not about my right to guide my life in the way I deem wise and acceptable. I disagree with you.

Luv ya, bro. Get over it.

I wonder what it would be like to be gay. I got a little dry shave from a nice gay male nurse this morning. He was prepping me for the sticky pads that the electrodes hook up to so they could stress test my heart. Now my chest looks like a man-o-lantern! Anyway...

I doubt one can become un-gay, even with Jesus' and God's help. But I was wondering what it would be like to desperately believe that. To want that. On the other hand there is the implication that a "man" would be expected to sex his wife in a "manly" fashion, and believe to at least a degree in all the manly-isms that go with that, in order to have a functional heterosexual marriage. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

Chris

Patti: LOL, it sounded like you thought it was a "hang-up" of mine that I think others should be treated like yourself, and that calling myself another person just like you was as absurd as claiming to be the queen of England.

Sure. Christian criminals, in this case, motivated by their Christianity. Christians have murdered Jews, heathens, witches, "heretics", and homosexuals for many centuries, motivated by their Christianity. You are spinning your wheels if you are trying to pretend Christianity has nothing to do with it.

Your "hang-ups" are blaming Christianity and taking an endless victim attitude. (Did they teach you that in law school?)

Criminals have been murdering and rationalizing for quite a while. Regardless of their stance, Christ has nothing to do with it. History is rife with garbage, there is a lot of clean-up work to do.

What is truly absurd is that you believe these criminals are Christians.

"Your "hang-ups" are blaming Christianity and taking an endless victim attitude. "
I was ASKED if I had been victimized, and I answered. A little while ago, you were taking me to task for not wallowing endlessly in the matter by pursuing useless lawsuits-- and now you are taking me to task for honestly mentioning what occurred?

"What is truly absurd is that you believe these criminals are Christians."
They are "Christians" every bit as much as Palestinian "freedom fighters" or Iraqi "insurgents" are Muslims. If you want to tell me they have little resemblance to what Jesus had in mind, I would agree with you (but then, I think very little of the New Testament has much resemblance to what Jesus had in mind). However, I need a generic word for "members of that prominent two thousand year old movement that now has about two billion members", and like most speakers of the English language, I call such people "Christians". They didn't get this notion that we are all child molesters from the Buddhists: they got it from "good Christians" like Juan here. And they got the notion that we deserve death from the Bible, not from the Bhagavad Gita.
You, as an insider to the movement, would like to reserve the word "Christian" (in a version of the "No true Scotsman..." game) for your own particular subtype, but I have no interest in your private definitions. To me it is a "faction membership" word, for anyone who considered "Christ" (however they conceptualize "Christ", and however much or little their concept of "Christ" has to do with the historical Jesus) central to their world-view. It is, as I use the word, analogous to "Cub fan": anyone who says they are a Cub fan is, just by saying they are rooting for the Cubs, by definition a "Cub fan".

juantoo3, there is such a thing as a lost cause.

Conversation between juantoo3 and Andrewx, for example.

A lost cause

In keeping with what I've posted just now, on another thread --
there is also a difference between repeating the same old, identical mistakes, or perhaps repeating them ad infinitum ... vs. making a mistake, maybe even two or three times, then realizing that this is a famliar pattern, and an unpleasant one, and then taking ACTION to redirect this energy (into something healthier, more constructive, more SOULful).
-- I will do the only thing an intelligent, sane and reasonable person can do.

I'm going to leave you with your thoughts and feelings about gay people and homosexuality ... and trust in God to Guide you.

I hope you will do the same - and since your snappy answer is already on the tip of my mind ("That's exactly what I've been doing, always have!" - or some such) ... I will add, Wonderful! Then more power to ya!

~andrew

Hello and greetings, peoples.

I've seen some rather interesting rhetoric on this thread regarding the identity of homosexuals, and seeing the conflicts and disagreements, have decided to dive into the swimming pool with the rest of you!!!

I'm new and I've read this thread with great interest. I'm gay. When I first came out a few years ago I thought sexuality was etched in stone. But since I've come into contact with more people over the last few years I tend towards the opinion that there can be some flexibilty on that score but that most people are comfortable on one side of the fence or the other.

On the actual statisitcs of the report-that 15% of the gay people who went to see these evangelicals were "turned"-I just don't know. I'd like to see a similar study where straight people learned to convince themselves they were gay and see if we get a similar percentage rate. Then we can have a comparison. But do you know, I just don't see that study coming about:)

At some stage in my life I wondered what it would be like if I was attracted to the same sex (as I was not already). Is it possible to change your sexual orientation? I think even if it were possible, the dynamics would be different for different people. Some will manage to make the transformation more successfully than others. Some (perhaps most) will fail. I didn't find it too hard to imagine being attracted to the opposite sex. I just needed to focus my mind on seeing aspects of a masculine personality attractive (ie. try to think like a woman). Men are attracted to women because they have an emotional need for something feminine, and likewise for women needing something masculine. The idea I think, then, is to just change your emotional needs. If you need something masculine, you will more naturally find yourself attracted to a man. If you need something feminine, you will find women attractive. The matter may be somewhat complicated by people who display qualities normally expressed by the opposite sex.

Although fantasy doesn't confirm one's ability to transform one's sexual orientation, I think it's enough just to be able to imagine what it might be like.:D It may not be as simple as knowing what women want lol.:)

I have, however, imagined what it might be like to be one of those people who faint when they see needles and syringes. All I had to do was imagine how awful it would be to have those pointy things inserted into your body and what potential damage it would do to your body if it punctured an artery, or if you walk into a room, slip, fall over and . . . oh no . . . your eye gets poked out. Or what if, you go to sleep at night . . . and find that there's a needle embedded in your blanket or mattress after some sewing you did . . . meanwhile playing soppy games with your girlfriend, wife, or whatever significant other . . . and accidentally land on one. The idea grew more and more disturbing, to the point where I thought that if I continued imagining what needles and syringes could do to my body, I might actually faint next time when I see one.

The psychology of thinking about needles and syringes and what they can do to your body is dangerous . . . and speaking of psychology, what if psychology did have a part to play in sexuality? What do you look for in a member of the opposite sex? Does she have to be blonde? Brunette? Race? European, Caucasian, Scandinavian, Asian?

This, of course raises questions, particularly regarding the new research. If the new research suggests that people can change their sexual orientation, what does that mean? Some have interpreted it as anti-gay. I don't exactly see it that way. This of course is about what is "natural" or "unnatural." I think we have to be careful with what we mean by "natural" or "unnatural" as this can mean a whole lot of different things, depending on the identity of the object or concept to which you are attaching the word "natural." The reason why homosexuality is seen as "unnatural" is because it appears most people are heterosexual. Homosexuals, therefore, are seen as going against the norm. Furthermore, homosexuals can't reproduce without technology -- another reason why it's seen as unnatural. However, if homosexual attitudes come from the mind, this has nothing to do with the need for technology to have kids.

I saw a documentary recently about transsexuals: people born in bodies of the opposite sex and their sexual identity. Imagine if you had the mind of a man and were born in a woman's body or vice versa. Is it natural? Well, why not? It is not your body, but your mind that determines your behaviour. You are attracted to a particular sex because of your mind, not your body. By "body" I am not referring to the physiology or biochemistry of a person that may affect their behaviour. I am excluding such aspects from what I mean by "body." A person does not say "I have a penis, therefore I must be attracted to something feminine" or "I have a vagina, therefore I must be attracted to something masculine."

Trans-sexuality is attraction of a personality distinctly of one sex to the other. The individual has simply been born in a body of the opposite sex. Homosexuality, however, is an attraction of a personality distinctly of one sex to the exact same sex. Trans-sexuals may be seen as "functioning correctly" (ie. naturally) in terms of having a personality attracted to the opposite sex, but what do we say about homosexuals? Is it natural?

I said a while back that we have to be careful about what we describe as "unnatural." Just what are we labelling as "unnatural?" Is it the mind? The personality? The mind is something that observes an individual's surroundings, has a memory and makes decisions based on what it sees now, has seen in the past and what it remembers of the past. A personality is more than that. A personality is something that has emotions and feelings. It is a mind with attitude. Quite obviously, we are talking about a personality. A mind doesn't have to be natural. A computer program that plays chess has a mind but no personality. It's a mind that doesn't have an attitude. It's a mind that is calculative but unfeeling.

So what constitutes a natural personality? Well here's a word or two: innocence and spontaneity. A person is innocent if either they are free from guilt, free from the knowledge or awareness of evil, or if they don't commit to an attitude of judging right and wrong all the time. You are also innocent if you are down-to-earth, open-minded and take a fresh look at the world every day. It is said that kids are more open-minded than adults (and therefore more innocent) because their beliefs are more deep-rooted. There is a difference between being innocent and being brainwashed and indoctrinated. Little kids do get indoctrinated to some extent. Innocence just means that you have your eyes open. The door is open for new ideas to come in. You are brainwashed and indoctrinated if you close your mind later to new ideas.

Spontaneity? Your beliefs aren't fixed, and you don't listen to the politicians and religious leaders. You don't subscribe to ideologies or creeds. You either do things your way, or if you are religious and believe in God you see yourself as unique in God's world. No-one has the right to judge you except either yourself or God.

Another aspect of a natural personality has to do with the natural course of your life. We all have to make decisions and choices. Many choices are either forced, or are the only option considering that we all have particular goals in life and dreams about what we want to become. With decisions and choices, nobody gets it right the first time. So what do we say when people make the wrong decision? Have we sinned? Have we done a boo boo? I don't see it that way. My philosophy is that mistakes, sins, boo boo's were always meant to happen. You were put in that situation.

While all that is happening, our attitudes, beliefs and emotional needs change. While I believe we do have some ability to change the way we think, the rest of our lives (and therefore the rest of our personality) is influenced by forces outside our control. I see all this as part of a natural process as we are all victims of nature, victims of the circumstances.

What I see as unnatural is subscription and conformity to creeds, ideology and politics. Ideological and political systems take a structured view of the world and seek to classify and apply labels, bumper stickers, protocols and semantics to people. This is impersonal. Anything impersonal is unnatural. It's impersonal and unnatural because it's got nothing to do with the person. It has to do with changing external factors.

Considering all this, I would have the following views.

So what's this got to do with homosexuals?

My response: What I have done here is present a different concept of what constitutes "a natural personality" as opposed to the one many of our religious leaders promote. If we take this view, it will now appear that it is not homosexuals, but religious leaders themselves that have an unnatural personality. That's because religious leaders that promote such views have lives driven by rules. They are machines and slaves of ideology. Their lives are confined to the structural boundaries of their ideology.

But the question remains, are homosexual attitudes natural?

My response: Consider being born a trans-sexual. You are a heterosexual born in the body of the opposite sex. Nature put your mind in the wrong body. Nature got your mind and body mixed up.

Now consider being born a homosexual. You are quite capable of distinguishing between the sexes, except that you are attracted to the sex opposite to that normally sought by a masculine (or feminine) personality. Nature gave you the wrong mindset. If it's naturally possible for nature to get your attitudes mixed up then it is also possible to be naturally homosexual.

It really doesn't matter if God originally designed us to be heterosexual. As the story goes, Adam ate the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. We are supposed to be a tainted, malfunctioning creation. It is not immoral to malfunction. It is immoral to hate and think evil thoughts. We are allowed to be faulty. There are some attitudes we can't control, and others that we can control. Let's do something about the latter. We can't blame Nature for what it does with our minds and bodies.

Can you change your attitude?

My response: Everyone's got a life story. Our life story is our history and it's a part of who we are as a person. Nobody can judge us based on what we've done in life because a lot of what we do is influenced by what happens around us which is beyond our control. Most of the time we're victims of nature, victims of the circumstances. In the greater scheme of things, we are victims of what Adam did.

If you had to become a heterosexual, that would take time. But consider how your life has played out. Did you manipulate yourself to become homosexual? Did you become homosexual because you were following rules? Were you motivated by ideology, creeds or politics? If not, you are homosexual by nature. Your sexual orientation wasn't ideologically inspired.

If you "become" heterosexual because you were taught by some ideology that you had to be heterosexual, I would actually regard that as unnatural as that is a choice incompatible with your own personal feelings and would not have been the natural course of your life if you had not encountered that ideology. A natural transformation would be one inspired by some recent emotional experience that made you feel like you wanted to be heterosexual. You could then take a roller coaster ride on the feelings you develop as you progress toward heterosexuality.

You can't be heterosexual if you don't have the right feelings or emotional needs. If your emotional needs are that of a homosexual then you are, naturally a homosexual. We can't criticise or condemn nature. Nature is nature. Plants need water and sunshine in order to grow.

Is the new research anti-gay?

My response: If homosexuality is a choice, then heterosexuality is also a choice. If a choice to change one's sexuality is unnatural, then being heterosexual is also unnatural and choice-driven. The logic that being heterosexual is natural would then be contradictory. Those who are anti-gay want you to think that it's natural to be heterosexual, but if they tell you that you have a choice, then that logic contradicts itself.

There are two very different pictures of who "Christ" was, and what he taught, in the New Testament. There is the synoptic Christ, who taught a morality of "reciprocity", based on the principle of treating others as if they were people like yourself (which they are). Then there is the Christ in the Pauline epistles and the gospel of John, whose morality is based on "faith" (believe the right things about him) and "faction membership" (join the in-group fellowship). The latter has always been dominant. An in-group, of course, needs an out-group to define itself against: traditionally, this role was played by the Jews (because they don't believe), but since Auschwitz, that has become unfashionable (Christians leave it to the Muslims to define themselves by murderous hatred of the Jews), so gay is the new Jewish. Christians believe, by an act of "faith", absurd things about us, starting with the notion that we "choose" what we find sexually attractive, because it is impossible for us to share that belief (we know, as directly as Descartes knew cogito ergo sum, that it just isn't so), and so we can be demonized as the people who just won't believe.

The idea that homosexuality is unnatural is not the so-called "cornerstone" of Christianity, as the Cornerstone is Christ/Jesus himself.

Christ/Jesus was meant to be a symbol of liberation and emancipation from oppression, slavery and persecution. He came not to enslave, but to set people free from slavery by the rules taught by religious leaders and their impersonal creeds, doctrines, ideologies and semantics. Jesus upheld the idea that there was no barrier between us and God, that nobody could be a barrier between us and God. We had direct access to God. This, I believe, was the Truth Jesus wanted us to believe. The Truth Jesus spoke of was not himself, but the idea that you had direct access to God and you were not to be anyone's slave, but belonged primarily to God.

This, I believe is the Truth for which Jesus died. He died for those needing freedom from slavery by religious leaders and the semantics they taught. 2,000 years later, I think that we have once again become enslaved by rules and semantics and have forgotten the true meaning of Christianity.

We say that you can't be Christian if you don't believe you need to be forgiven by God, and that Jesus "died for our sins." The trouble is, that may not actually be the precise purpose for which Jesus died. Sure, the New Testament, which records the experiences and struggles of the early Christians, has a lot to say about forgiveness, but that does not mean that forgiveness by God is what was so important to the early Christians.

Now let's think. If Jesus was defending people against oppression, persecution and slavery by the religious leaders, why would forgiveness be a dominant idea? Does God need Jesus to die in order to forgive sinners? Who is it that can't forgive? The answer is simple: the religious leaders.

The religious leaders spread the idea that God couldn't accept them because they were so incapable of being holy, so incapable of following their rules. It was not actually about God not being able to forgive. God was quite happy to accept the people that the religious leaders enslaved, oppressed and persecuted. God already accepted these people, even before Jesus was martyred.

The reason why I believe forgiveness is such a prominent theme is to emphasise, highlight and give people assurance that no, you don't have to listen to those religious leaders. They don't understand God. God accepts you even if you can't follow their rules. Jesus death was a political act through which God expressed His support for the oppressed and persecuted. It was society, not God, who couldn't accept or forgive.

Yes it was a sacrifice. But not a ritual sacrifice. Jesus was dying for his beliefs, dying for what he stood for and represented to the people he helped. There is a point where a soldier that wants to protect and defend his country must die when those he is defending have been threatened. Otherwise he'd be a traitor or coward to the cause that he represents. Imagine if a guy so passionate at defending and vindicating you all of a sudden ran off when things got difficult. Imagine if he did that to homosexuals.:eek::D:)

Back then, it was about Judaism. The people of Israel forgot the importance of a relationship with God and introduced semantics into their faith. They introduced semantics into the Law. Rather than a Natural Law, it became a dogmatic Law. Jesus affirmed that he didn't come to do away with the Law. The Law wasn't the problem. It was what the people did with the Law that was the problem. The people made the Law impersonal and put a barrier between themselves and God.

For Jews, it's about staying true to the Law. For Christians, it's about staying true to the Gospel. Jews study and preserve the Law for the benefit of those who are not Jews. Christians study and preserve the Gospel for the benefit of those who are not Christians. Christianity, I believe, was never meant to be about discarding Judaism, but giving a group of people a new identity and purpose. God rescued the Jews from slavery by the Egyptians and he rescued the Christians from slavery by semantics.

What happened 2,000 years ago to Judaism is happening again to Christianity. Just as the Jews lost touch with the true spirit of Judaism so Christians today have lost touch with the true spirit of Christianity. I believe Jews have since rediscovered that spirit, but for us Christians we may need to emancipate ourselves from some semantics. Fail that and we are traitors to our own cause.

The idea that you have to believe you must be forgiven by God and that Jesus died for our sins might be seen as an example of semantics. It's good when that's how you feel as a person, but not good if we insist that others conform to a concept to which they cannot relate.

For a long time we've been saying that Jesus died for Christians, that he died for a group of people conforming to a particular system of semantics, a particular philosophy. As they say, a man's love for a woman is not in the words, but by what he does. Emotions and feelings are independent of human languages, independent of logic or semantics. Much of Christianity is enforced in languages and the use of words. Maybe the trouble is that we don't actually feel what we express using words.

In a sense, yes Jesus did die for homosexuals, but also for Christians, but not for the same reason. He died for homosexuals because of the way they are persecuted and oppressed today. He died to free Christians from slavery by the semantics of today's Christianity and its ideologies. I used to be a slave (a Christian) but now I'm free (a Christian).:D

Do you see what angle I'm coming from? This is a paradigm shift.

I think you are, in a sense, right. There are indeed two different images of Christ projecting out of the Bible. I wouldn't say, however, that Paul and John projected, exclusively, the second image. I think we have given Paul too much credit and put too much emphasis on his ideas, but I don't see his ideas as invalid. Paul had a legalist background and therefore tried to justify the beliefs of the early Christians to legalists. John depicted Jesus as a legendary figure. Not exactly incompatible with the first image. I see both images as that of a "legend."

"Your "hang-ups" are blaming Christianity and taking an endless victim attitude. "
I was ASKED if I had been victimized, and I answered. A little while ago, you were taking me to task for not wallowing endlessly in the matter by pursuing useless lawsuits-- and now you are taking me to task for honestly mentioning what occurred?

IF what you say about the crime is true, the law (and the Lord) is on your side, even if the police are not. Perhaps you are looking for a scapegoat?
“Useless lawsuits?” hmmm… maybe you are “wallowing.”

but then, I think very little of the New Testament has much resemblance to what Jesus had in mind).
Please list chapter and verse, and don’t make any type of blanket statement. I want specifics. Context problems are rampant.

However, I need a generic word
We have already covered this: People who commit crimes are criminals.

for "members of that prominent two thousand year old movement that now has about two billion members"
-
You possess a cookie-cutter mentality.

and like most speakers of the English language, I call such people "Christians".
You are not alone in your problem. But your statement about Christians is very wrong.

And they got the notion that we deserve death from the Bible, not from the Bhagavad Gita.
The entire Bible concerns all of human life, warts and all. Do you know anything about Christianity? btw The Bhagavad-Gita is Arjuna’s god Krishna telling him how he should be.
You, as an insider to the movement, would like to reserve the word "Christian" (in a version of the "No true Scotsman..." game) for your own particular subtype, but I have no interest in your private definitions.
I am a Christian, you are completely mistaken if you think that I am sub-categorizing myself, playing games, or applying private definitions.

It is, as I use the word, analogous to "Cub fan": anyone who says they are a Cub fan is, just by saying they are rooting for the Cubs, by definition a "Cub fan".
Maybe you would understand the term, “front-running phony.”

For a long time we've been saying that Jesus died for Christians
i dont know who told you that, or who is the "we", but christianity teaches that christ died for everyone; jew, gentile, man, woman, free, and slave. for we all fall short of the glory of god, but thru christ we can find forgiveness and salvation.

Back