Reconcling Christianity and Islam ?

An ex-Muslim, and you dont know how to reconcile Christianity and Islam.:confused::confused::confused:???

Do you mean by your question that it is Christianity which doesnt accept Islam:confused::confused::confused:?

its personal things, I have been struggling to have any regard for Mohamed, and I was wondering if it is possible as a christian, I dont think it is but I thought other people might have a different perspective, hence this thread.

its personal things, I have been struggling to have any regard for Mohamed, and I was wondering if it is possible as a christian, I dont think it is but I thought other people might have a different perspective, hence this thread.
love one another...pretty straight forward...love your neighbor...fairly inclusive....love your enemy, leaves no one out.

If a Christian can't have regard for Muslims can they expect any different?

love one another...pretty straight forward...love your neighbor...fairly inclusive....love your enemy, leaves no one out.

Love your enemy leaves no one out, including Muslims. If a Christian cant have regard for Muslims, only because they dont love their enemy, what does this make of Christians?

Apart from that, "love your enemy" as a unchanging principle is nothing less than suicide. I dont think Jesus himself practiced it. He cursed people, he took up sword etc. I rather stick to more pragmatic Muhammadan teaching,"You have the right to be equal, but its better if you forgive".

Love your enemy leaves no one out, including Muslims. If a Christian cant have regard for Muslims, only because they dont love their enemy, what does this make of Christians?

Apart from that, "love your enemy" as a unchanging principle is nothing less than suicide. I dont think Jesus himself practiced it. He cursed people, he took up sword etc. I rather stick to more pragmatic Muhammadan teaching,"You have the right to be equal, but its better if you forgive".
Where did Jesus take up a sword? He used a whip on the money-changers in the temple, and in Matthew 10 he said he didn't come to bring peace, but a sword (division in the parallel account in the Gospel of Luke.) I can't find an example in any of the Gospels where he took up a sword himself.

My mistake...he asked others (Luke 22:35-38)
...and then, later on in Luke 22, when Peter used the sword to cut off the ear of the high priest's servant, Jesus said, "No more of this!" and healed the man's ear. What was the lesson do you think he was teaching here?

you quote me, but your reply is not to my post :confused: i have never said that I have no regard for muslims :confused:

I am married to one after all.

...and then, later on in Luke 22, when Peter used the sword to cut off the ear of the high priest's servant, Jesus said, "No more of this!" and healed the man's ear. What was the lesson do you think he was teaching here?
Just because you have a sword in your hand doesnt mean you can do whatever you like. But dont throw it away either. Follow the middle path.

I was hoping for Farhan to answer... but A* To SG for her egerness!!!

Indeed, JC said that... So even before we look at your(Farhan) Understanding of the Luke account... Does it seem logical that jesus is telling others to take up arms?...

Let me see if I can get the gist of the "you'd better beome Muslim" argument here: The claim is that Islam gives you permission to kick ass in this world, therefore it is a better choice than Christianity specifically because it gives worldly advantages. Well, atheist materialism gives even more worldly advantages in terms of what is permitted. Therefore, by the same argument, atheist materialism would be a better choice than Islam.

The sword cuts both ways. The best lesson we can learn from it is that of mercy.

I was hoping for Farhan to answer... but A* To SG for her egerness!!!

Indeed, JC said that... So even before we look at your(Farhan) Understanding of the Luke account... Does it seem logical that jesus is telling others to take up arms?...

1. One of the lessons is mercy.
2. He didnt say "throw away your sword", which shows its necessity.
3. What I see here is, "keep your sword with you, undrawn". Its a powerful message. I am not going to hurt you, and I am not going to tolerate me being hurt either.
4. Apart from all that, there is the context. Jesus being arrested, & he saying,"its written, let it happen". What if some "it" is not written? Not a good idea to interpret it only after de-contextualizing. And then accepting it as an absolute principle.

1. One of the lessons is mercy.
2. He didnt say "throw away your sword", which shows its necessity.
3. What I see here is, "keep your sword with you, undrawn". Its a powerful message. I am not going to hurt you, and I am not going to tolerate me being hurt either.
4. Apart from all that, there is the context. Jesus being arrested, & he saying,"its written, let it happen". What if some "it" is not written? Not a good idea to interpret it only after de-contextualizing. And then accepting it as an absolute principle.
For Christians, the sword of the Spirit is the word of God. That's the two-edged sword you keep. (See Ephesians 6:17, Hebrews 4:12, Isaiah 49:2, and Revelations 1 & 2)

The two-way cutting action the literal sword that you use for bloodshed is that by cutting others' bodies with your sword, you are also cutting away at your own humanity--your soul, by killing your conscience. Once you kill one person, the next becomes easier to kill, and the next one becomes yet even easier. Next thing you know, you have no conscience or humanity left, even though you may still be walking around in a body.

Seattlegal said:
Two ideas: Vengence is a sham, and Jesus may have been claiming equality with the high priest.

Who can actually pay for the years a servant has spent with a master? You may as well ask who can replace an ear that's been chopped off, so perhaps Jesus is commenting upon the Laws of human ownership. These begin in Exodus right after the 10 Commandments and one of the first things mentioned is eye 4 eye and tooth 4 tooth, release of servants. According to the Way a servant should go free for losing an ear in his master's service, but the intended idea should be that the servant's ear is irreplaceable. Repayments cannot ever truly be just, and legal remedies or redress of wrongs are only ideals that serve to rebuke the original losses.

Also Jesus miraculously replaces the ear of the high priest's servant, which could be a claim to equality with the high priest IMO. To replace that lost servant, Peter who was Jesus servant likely would have been indentured to take the h.priest's servant's place becoming property of the high priest. You could say that for a moment Peter was not Jesus servant anymore but became someone else's. There may also have been other punishments for Peter like losing his own ear or possibly a fine. These things did not happen since Jesus replaced the ear, but how does this Jesus replacing the ear square with the Law, and who could replace the servant of a high priest except an equal?

Exodus 21:23-27 said:
But if any harm follow, then thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. And if a man smite the eye of his bondman, or the eye of his bondwoman, and destroy it, he shall let him go free for his eye's sake. And if he smite out his bondman's tooth, or his bondwoman's tooth, he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake...

Where was that again? Was it this part here?.....

YUSUFALI: Let there be no compulsion in religion

PICKTHAL: There is no compulsion in religion.

SHAKIR: There is no compulsion in religion

Which translation of Qur'an, 2:256 do you like best, friend Tao?

Exactly. Now if you could explain how Iran justified a program of murder to get rid of its Baha'i poplution I be interested in seeing how that explanation fits in with the Qur'an quote above.

....how Iran justified a program of murder to get rid of its Baha'i poplution I be interested in seeing how that explanation fits in with the Qur'an quote above.

Do you have any reason to believe there is a relationship between Iran's policies and the Koran? If so, please explain.

Back