do you know God by name

Has it been so long ago? A simple look back through this very thread will reveal the answer. Jesus is *not* the man's given birth name. Hint, it starts with an Aramaic letter that corresponds to the English "Y."

So, the direct answer to your question, is that if we are to use the "proper" names of G-d and Jesus, not to mention all the others (James, John, Jedediah, etc), then we would do well to use their actual names, not their translated names. These are afterall Hebrew names, the English is simply not adequate especially when it is an invention of the translators (as it is specifically with the names Jehovah and Jesus).

the point i was making is that people do not think it is wrong to use the J in other names ,
tetra.gif
The Tetragrammaton, meaning "four letters," spells out the personal name of God in Hebrew
tetra_txt.gif

A King Who Made Known the Name of Jehovah

kamehameha.jpg
King Kamehameha III
In 1852 a group of missionaries set out from Hawaii for the islands of Micronesia. They carried with them a letter of introduction that bore the official seal of King Kamehameha III, the then ruling monarch of the Hawaiian Islands. This letter, originally written in Hawaiian and addressed to the various rulers of the Pacific Islands, said in part: "There are about to sail for your islands some teachers of the Most High God, Jehovah, to make known unto you His Word for your eternal salvation. . . . I commend these good teachers to your esteem and friendship and exhort you to listen to their instructions. . . . I advise you to throw away your idols, take the Lord Jehovah for your God, worship and love Him and He will bless and save you."

there's not much point my telling you that the watchtower may not be exactly 100% reliable, but i'm going to do it anyway.

b'shalom

bananabrain
thats ok, the watchtower is not inspired of God only the bible is the inspired word of God. :)

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work. 2 timothy 3;16-17

Well, I prefer to be called Joshua, rather than Yeshua,

God's Name in Your Name?

Many Bible names are still popular today. In some cases the original Hebrew meaning of these names actually included the personal name of God. Here are a few examples of such names and their meaning. Perhaps your name is one of them.
  • Joanna—"Jehovah Has Been Gracious"
  • Joel—"Jehovah Is God"
  • John—"Jehovah Has Shown Favor"
  • Jonathan—"Jehovah Has Given"
  • Joseph—"May Jah Add"#
  • Joshua—"Jehovah Is Salvation"
# "Jah" is an abbreviated form of "Jehovah."

God doesn't want you to wear out His name.
In fact Jews considered it a sin.

-Br. Bruce

Jehovah wants his name to be known , PSALM 83;18 and even though the Jews consider it a sin to use the name, that is not what the scriptures have told them to do . tradItions of man do all sorts of things out of line with Gods word .

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.PSALM 83;18

(Psalm 68:4) Sing YOU to God, make melody to his name; Raise up [a song] to the One riding through the desert plains As Jah, which is his name; and jubilate before him;

(Isaiah 42:8) “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.

(Isaiah 54:5) “For your Grand Maker is your husbandly owner, Jehovah of armies being his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Repurchaser. The God of the whole earth he will be called.

(Romans 3:29) Or is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also of people of the nations? Yes, of people of the nations also,

(Luke 11:2) Then he said to them: “Whenever YOU pray, say, ‘Father, let your name be sanctified. Let your kingdom come.

(John 12:28) Father, glorify your name.” Therefore a voice came out of heaven: “I both glorified [it] and will glorify [it] again.”

(Acts 15:14) Sym′e·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.

(Revelation 15:3) And they are singing the song of Moses the slave of God and the song of the Lamb, saying: “Great and wonderful are your works, Jehovah God, the Almighty. Righteous and true are your ways, King of eternity.

we can never ware out the name of God , HE CAUSES TO BECOME :)

If He wants us to know, He'll make it known...
AND HE HAS :)

(Exodus 9:16) But, in fact, for this cause I have kept you in existence, for the sake of showing you my power and in order to have my name declared in all the earth.

(Romans 9:17) For the Scripture says to Phar′aoh: “For this very cause I have let you remain, that in connection with you I may show my power, and that my name may be declared in all the earth.”

(Romans 9:17) For the Scripture says to Phar′aoh: “For this very cause I have let you remain, that in connection with you I may show my power, and that my name may be declared in all the earth.”

Father, glorify your name.” Therefore a voice came out of heaven: “I both glorified [it] and will glorify [it] again.”jOHN 12;28

[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]How You Can Know God by Name - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site
Although religiously inclined, many who believe in the Bible give little thought to the issue of God's name. But how does God feel about it?[/SIZE][/FONT]

God has feelings? Oh, that's right. He's jealous, he's angry, he's repentant of his anger. He kills people who accidentally touch his sacred stuff. He's collecting the foreskins of his enemies. He likes the smell of burning animal fat. And he won't listen to anyone who won't pronounce his name exactly right.

Chris

From link:

This book is called "the scroll of life" because Jehovah God will grant everlasting life to those whose names are written in it.

That’s called the Lamb’s Book of Life.

I have a thought...... if the bible says (according to different translatians) that gods name is jah, jehovah, yahweh and the rest maybe its not really emphasising the actual name just the fact that if you believe you should pray to him and hell get the message anyway. (much like I am known as MUM, aunty, miss....., the householder at .... etc) understand? what do you reckon?

From link:

This book is called "the scroll of life" because Jehovah God will grant everlasting life to those whose names are written in it.

That’s called the Lamb’s Book of Life.
Have you read it?

I have a thought...... if the bible says (according to different translatians) that gods name is jah, jehovah, yahweh and the rest maybe its not really emphasising the actual name just the fact that if you believe you should pray to him and hell get the message anyway. (much like I am known as MUM, aunty, miss....., the householder at .... etc) understand? what do you reckon?

That is actually very close to my understanding of the Jewish point of view of the matter.

They Proclaimed God's Name

isaiah.jpg
  • Moses' song just before Israel entered the Promised Land: "I shall declare the name of Jehovah."Deuteronomy 32:3.
  • David's words to the giant Goliath: "I am coming to you with the name of Jehovah of armies."1 Samuel 17:45.
  • Job's words after the total loss of his possessions and the sudden death of all his children: "Let the name of Jehovah continue to be blessed."Job 1:21.
  • The apostle Peter quoting the Hebrew Scriptures in a speech: "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved."Acts 2:21.
  • The prophet Isaiah: "Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. . . . Make mention that his name is put on high."Isaiah 12:4.
  • Jesus Christ teaching his disciples to pray: "You must pray, then, this way: 'Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.'"Matthew 6:9, 10.
  • Jesus Christ praying to God: "I have made your name manifest."John 17:6.
  • God speaking to his people: "I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory."Isaiah 42:8.

They Proclaimed God's Name

isaiah.jpg

• Moses' song just before Israel entered the Promised Land: "I shall declare the name of Jehovah."Deuteronomy 32:3.
  • David's words to the giant Goliath: "I am coming to you with the name of Jehovah of armies."1 Samuel 17:45.
  • Job's words after the total loss of his possessions and the sudden death of all his children: "Let the name of Jehovah continue to be blessed."Job 1:21.
  • The apostle Peter quoting the Hebrew Scriptures in a speech: "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved."Acts 2:21.
  • The prophet Isaiah: "Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. . . . Make mention that his name is put on high."Isaiah 12:4.
  • Jesus Christ teaching his disciples to pray: "You must pray, then, this way: 'Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.'"Matthew 6:9, 10.
  • Jesus Christ praying to God: "I have made your name manifest."John 17:6.
  • God speaking to his people: "I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory."Isaiah 42:8.

If I go through the phone book and replace names withones that will better suit my purposes, I am "restoring" their names? JEESH!:rolleyes:

If I go through the phone book and replace names withones that will better suit my purposes, I am "restoring" their names? JEESH!:rolleyes:
:) much better to put back the one that rightly belongs there., taking the name of God out of the bible only makes problems . that would be robbing God

of what......? according to you he owns and is everthing.

taking the name of God out of the bible is hiding it from view that is why Jehovahs witnesses have put the name back in where it rightly belongs.

he wants people to know his name, but it was replaced by a title instead. LORD instead of his name Jehovah . the old king james bible did at least have it in a few places ,even though they had removed it from most of the verses, but now in the new king james version ,they have even removed it in all places.PSALM 83 ;18 in the older version tells us Gods name ,but in the newer version it is removed :(

I reckon if I call out "Abba", and can't get any other word out but groans, the Holy Spirit will interpret my needs (that is biblical), and the Father will know...

Back