do you know God by name

(John 12:28) Father, glorify your name." Therefore a voice came out of heaven: "I both glorified [it] and will glorify [it] again."

Interesting discussions.

I'd have to go with BB's suggestion of "yod-keh-vav-keh", although in my readings some years ago I came up with "yod-heh-vav-heh". In trying to find meaning to this combination I eventually derived the words "look-hook-desire-hook".

From the things that I saw and read when trying to track the roots of the earliest manifestations of the name, these are the answers I came up with. I would also go with the notion of "vav" being pronounced as "waw", which is not far from Strong's KJV Concordance suggestion that the shortened appelation for the supreme being "Jah" was properly pronounced "Yawww".
As many of you also know this is the name used by our Rastafarian brothers and sisters, whose religion and sacraments originated in Ethiopia.

Now, there were two fully functioning temples that were set up outside of Jerusalem in ancient times. There was a Hebrew military contingent that was sent to the first cataract of the Nile (now Aswan), the first nome, about 600 bce to set up a garrison on Elephantine Island in order to facilitate trading activities between Egypt, the African interior (Nubia/Ethiopia) and the homeland of the Hebrews, Israel. Archaeological studies have determined that sacrifice did not appear to be part of the rituals at the Elephantine Temple. It is estimated that the Elephantine Island Temple sporadically functioned up to the second century a.d.

There was a second Temple set up at, I believe, the 18th nome of the Nile, somewhat south of the delta, that also functioned to serve a group of Hebrew merchants and traders who had dealings with the royal houses of Egypt. Sacrifice did appear as a part of the rituals at this site. But the facility only existed for a period of about fifty to one hundred years in the second century bce. Recent studies have determined that much of the gold used in the history of Egyptian royalty, and one would presume Hebrew royalty and Hebrew priesthood practices, came up the Nile through the Elephantine/Aswan regions from the African interior.

At Elephantine Island, more ancient religious sites have been found pre-dating the Hebrew Temple. The deity worshipped was named "Yebo, Yahu, or the Great Elephant". Many believe that the Ark of the Covenant is housed in the Chapel of Mary in Axum Ethiopia. The priests of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church have the preferred positions in the Church of the Holy Seplichure in Jerusalem closest to Jesus' presumed resting place.

Lots of coincidences here that seem to have linked up through the centuries.

flow....:)

do i know Gods name ?,yes indeed i do

I will bless Jehovah at all times;
Constantly his praise will be in my mouth.

2 In Jehovah my soul will make its boast;
The meek ones will hear and will rejoice.

3 O magnify Jehovah with me, YOU people,
And let us exalt his name together

psalm 34;1-3

:D

Hello again Mee!

You started this thread, way back when, remember?

I responded to you then, adequately and appropriately, way back then, remember?

There is *NO* way G-d's name begins with a "J." It is impossible. Unless one is willing to acknowledge it is but one of many names for G-d, and that "Jehovah" is a man-made name for the Almighty Creator.

If I were a believer I wouldn't give a hoot what Its name was. I would be more concerned with following Its teaching and not getting it so damned messed up all the time.

If I were a believer I wouldn't give a hoot what Its name was. I would be more concerned with following Its teaching and not getting it so damned messed up all the time.
So... what's keeping you? (lol)

:D

Hello again Mee!

You started this thread, way back when, remember?

I responded to you then, adequately and appropriately, way back then, remember?

There is *NO* way G-d's name begins with a "J." It is impossible. Unless one is willing to acknowledge it is but one of many names for G-d, and that "Jehovah" is a man-made name for the Almighty Creator.
would you say that Jesus is a name that we should not use as well? because in English it is a J

And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”’ACTS 2 ;21

(Joel 2:32) And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will prove to be the escaped ones, just as Jehovah has said, and in among the survivors, whom Jehovah is calling.”

(Romans 10:13) For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

would you say that Jesus is a name that we should not use as well? because in English it is a J

Has it been so long ago? A simple look back through this very thread will reveal the answer. Jesus is *not* the man's given birth name. Hint, it starts with an Aramaic letter that corresponds to the English "Y."

So, the direct answer to your question, is that if we are to use the "proper" names of G-d and Jesus, not to mention all the others (James, John, Jedediah, etc), then we would do well to use their actual names, not their translated names. These are afterall Hebrew names, the English is simply not adequate especially when it is an invention of the translators (as it is specifically with the names Jehovah and Jesus).

Has it been so long ago? A simple look back through this very thread will reveal the answer. Jesus is *not* the man's given birth name. Hint, it starts with an Aramaic letter that corresponds to the English "Y."

So, the direct answer to your question, is that if we are to use the "proper" names of G-d and Jesus, not to mention all the others (James, John, Jedediah, etc), then we would do well to use their actual names, not their translated names. These are afterall Hebrew names, the English is simply not adequate especially when it is an invention of the translators (as it is specifically with the names Jehovah and Jesus).

*gives a sharp stern Laurel and Hardy nod of the head.*

flowperson said:
As many of you also know this is the name used by our Rastafarian brothers and sisters, whose religion and sacraments originated in Ethiopia.
er, not wishing to diss the rastas or anything, but there isn't really any evidence that this is based on anything other than wishful thinking and general hero-worship of haile selassie by a downtrodden, deracinated minority group. however, i'm not here to rain on anyone's parade, that's just my opinion.

mee - sheesh, you *so* don't listen. literalism will only get you so far; when you start having to leave your brain in a box by the door sooner or later you're going to end up violating the plain sense of the text. there's not much point my telling you that the watchtower may not be exactly 100% reliable, but i'm going to do it anyway.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Why do we get hung up on the noise WE hang on a phenomenon? Jesus said," I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life..." the word Tao translates as Way, so is Jesus the Tao? "The Tao we call the Tao is not the Tao", according to the Tao...
I agree with those who prefer to focus on the Person we call God, rather than to get bogged down in the splitting of the hairs on our tongues!

Well, I prefer to be called Joshua, rather than Yeshua, which I believe translates to "Jesus". So, I like the "J" part of the english language. And if I recall, there was an Eddie Murphy movie "Golden Child" where the devil kept getting mad at Murphy's character for calling him "Ajanti" instead of "Ayanti"...does that have any relevence? :rolleyes::cool:

Well, I prefer to be called Joshua, rather than Yeshua, which I believe translates to "Jesus". So, I like the "J" part of the english language. And if I recall, there was an Eddie Murphy movie "Golden Child" where the devil kept getting mad at Murphy's character for calling him "Ajanti" instead of "Ayanti"...does that have any relevence? :rolleyes::cool:

OK, but you are of English speaking European heritage, no? It would make sense for you to go by *the name you were given at birth.* Jesus was not of European heritage, he was an Aramaic Hebrew of Semitic stock. And *Jesus* was not his birth given name. What's more, Jesus lived 1500 years before the invention of the letter (and sound) "J", whereas you were born around 400 years after the invention of "J."

OK, but you are of English speaking European heritage, no? It would make sense for you to go by *the name you were given at birth.* Jesus was not of European heritage, he was an Aramaic Hebrew of Semitic stock. And *Jesus* was not his birth given name. What's more, Jesus lived 1500 years before the invention of the letter (and sound) "J", whereas you were born around 400 years after the invention of "J."
Juan. Does "devil's advocate" come to mind?:D

Juan makes so much sense... Never thought I'd say that.. No idea why but yeah... Anyway... He is right... I am not going to go to freaking *random place* Thailand, and start calling myself Miho... Because that is their spoken language... That isn't my name... How much more obvious can it be :| Sure go ahead and give the prophet (saws) a made up name or a replacement name.... Whatever it still ISN'T!!!$£!$!£"$!£" his name is it. And if you are going to boast for accuracy that is even more insane.

Back