do you know God by name

:) much better to put back the one that rightly belongs there., taking the name of God out of the bible only makes problems . that would be robbing God
The letter "J" does not belong in the original scripture. And "Jehovah" is a far cry from YHWH. Even in Jesus' time His name was pronounced IXOUI "Yesshua"...no J. Even the general that led the army to cause the walls of Jericho to crumble was called "Yashua", not "Joshua".

Do we have license to rename God after our fancy? I for one think not. To name something or someone is to claim posession of the same. I fail to see how the finite can claim ownership over the infinite.

The letter "J" does not belong in the original scripture.
The truth is, many translators have not felt that the name, with its modern pronunciation, is out of place in the Bible. They have included it in their versions, and the result has always been a translation that gives more honor to the Bible's Author and hews more faithfully to the original text. Some widely used versions that include the name are the Valera translation (Spanish, published in 1602), the Almeida version (Portuguese, published in 1681), the original Elberfelder version (German, published in 1871), as well as the American Standard Version (English, published in 1901). Some translations, notably The Jerusalem Bible, also consistently use God's name but with the spelling Yahweh.

Do we have license to rename God after our fancy? I for one think not. .
very true ,and do we have a license to remove his name from the bible and replace it with a title instead LORD The king james bible has removed Gods name throughout the bible , and replaced it with LORD which is not Gods name at all it is a title. it has been removed thousands of times throughout the book. it was retained a few times in various places such as PSALM 83;18 but in the newer King James translation they have even removed it from there, so it gets worse and worse. and to think that God himself wants people to know his name .

i like the way that the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION has retained that name throughout the whole of the bible .:)
That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.psalm 83;18

I've never really thought of name as defining someone in their entirety, or that even being the purpose of a name? Isn't a name basically a word which distinguishes one person from another? - In which case, for those who believe God to be a personal deity what would be the problem in having a name/s to distinguish Him from other living beings?

If God is an omnipotent, but yet loving personality, he might quite enjoy having a host of names given to him by the various people throughout the universe?

... Neemai :)

I find that the Tetragrammaton (YHWH = Yahweh) describes God in an great manner. Yahweh means "He causes to become"

Mee,

God is not a human but rather Spirit. So why is it necessary to limit God to a human name as your article does? God is also not a pet that requires a name to use such a comparison. It seems to me to NOT be reasonable for God to have a name as if any would be fitting. Doing so encourages exclusivity to a particular people and in my view, God excludes no language or people.

When having an interaction with God, it is not a human relationship as the article supposes that requires a personal name. Since God knows even before we ask, it is not necessary to address or limit God to a personal name as if God were an individual.

In the NT Jesus is not recorded using an individual personal name. He called God 'Father' and told us to pray to him as our 'Father'. Just a few tidbits to consider concerning your article you found good reading.

Love and Peace,
JM

Would it be wrong calling Jesus..well... Jesus? Did they call him that exact pronunciation back then? Did they refer to him as Yehoshua?

Did not Jesus pray to a "Father" when he was praying in the Garden? Self-Glorification on his part?

Where does it say that in the Old Testament or New Testament?

Greetings Bible Reader,
Historically it is know that the Jews did not utter the Tetragrammaton out of respect.
Any decent Bible dictionary will tell you that they replaced the word with "Adonai" when reading the text. Only the High Priest was allowed to use the sacred word.

The commandment that the Jews followed is:
Young's Literal Translation
'Thou dost not take up the name of Jehovah thy God for a vain thing, for Jehovah acquitteth not him who taketh up His name for a vain thing.

Darby Bible Translation
Thou shalt not idly utter the name of Jehovah thy God; for Jehovah will not hold him guiltless that idly uttereth his name.

Commonly speaking, no one really knows how to pronounce the Tetragrammaton- even Yahveh, Jahweh are guesses at best.

The Tetragrammaton does not appear in the Gospels- even Jesus would not use the word. "Jesus" or "Yeshua" was a very common name back then - in the top ten names. The full name of Barabbas is Jesus Barrabbas.

Yahweh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Traditionally observant Jews do not say this name aloud, as it is believed to be too sacred to be uttered, but often use euphemisms when referring to the name of the deity, e.g., HaShem ("The Name") or Shem HaMeforash (“the ineffable Name.”) The Masoretes added vowel marks and grammar points to the Hebrew letters to preserve much earlier features of Hebrew, for use in chanting the Hebrew Bible. To יהוה they added the vowels for "Adonai" (= "My Lord"), the word to use when the Bible text is read. Also the Septuagint (Greek translation) and Vulgate (Latin translation) use the word "Lord" (κύριος and dominus, respectively).

"In Aramaic, the Hebrew word for “blaspheme” used in Leviticus 24:16, “Anyone who blasphemes the name of YHWH must be put to death” carried the meaning of “pronounce” rather than “blaspheme”. When the Jews began speaking Aramaic, this verse was understood to mean, “Anyone who pronounces the name of YHWH must be put to death.” Since then, observant Jews have maintained the custom of not pronouncing the name, but use Adonai (“my Lord [plural of majesty]”) instead. During the first few centuries AD this may have resulted in loss of traditional memory of how to pronounce the Name (except among Samaritans). "

Now some Johnny Come Latelys arrive on the scene and think they know better than the Jews themselves about their Holy Books.

And for Christians, our Lord set the example of using "Abba" not "Jehovah" or anything like it.

In Christ,
Br.Bruce

Jesus knew that "Jehovah" is a very important name. So he taught his followers to use God’s name. He even taught them to speak about God’s name in their prayers. Jesus knew that God wants all people to know His name, Jehovah.

Not everyone will want to listen when a person speaks about Jehovah. Many people did not listen even when Jesus, the Great Teacher, talked about Him. But that did not stop Jesus from speaking about Jehovah.

Now some Johnny Come Latelys arrive on the scene and think they know better than the Jews themselves about their Holy Books.

In Christ,
Br.Bruce
And in that day YOU will certainly say: "Give thanks to Jehovah, YOU people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high. Make melody to Jehovah, for he has done surpassingly. This is made known in all the earth.
Isaiah 12:4, 5;

stick to Gods word and we cannot go wrong.

when Jesus Christ taught his followers how to pray, he showed them that this should be their first concern. "You must pray, then, this way," he said: "Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) This means holding the name sacred, treating it as something holy. Jesus himself certainly did this. He did not fail to use his Father’s name, nor did he treat it as unimportant. To the contrary, in prayer to his Father, Jesus said: "I have made your name known to them and will make it known." (John 17:26) He knew that it is God’s purpose for his name to be glorified in all the earth, and he set the example in proclaiming and honoring that name. (John 12:28; Isaiah 12:4, 5)

stick to Gods word and we cannot go wrong.

Stick to Christ Jesus and you cannot go wrong.

when Jesus Christ taught his followers how to pray, he showed them that this should be their first concern. "You must pray, then, this way," he said: "Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) This means holding the name sacred, treating it as something holy. Don't confuse Jehovah with Father God. Jesus himself certainly didn't do this. He did not fail to use his Father’s name, nor did he treat it as unimportant. To the contrary, in prayer to his Father, Jesus said: "I have made your name known to them and will make it known." (John 17:26) And the Gospels do not record Jesus ever using the name "Jehovah".

Stick to Christ Jesus and you cannot go wrong.

in prayer to his Father, Jesus said: "I have made your name known to them and will make it known." (John 17:26).

Yes, sticking to the teachings of Jesus is the way to go and taking the name of God out of the bible would not be inline with Gods purpose or Jesus himself .
and Gods name was very important in the eyes of Jesus. and in prayer to his father he said,

“I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word. John 17;6

Why is the divine name in its full form not in any available ancient manuscript of the Christian Greek Scriptures?

The so-called Christians, then, who “replaced the Tetragrammaton by kyrios” in the Septuagint copies, were not the early disciples of Jesus. They were persons of later centuries, when the foretold apostasy was well developed and had corrupted the purity of Christian teachings.—2Th 2:3; 1Ti 4:1.

It evidently took place in the centuries following the death of Jesus and his apostles.

Commenting on the fact that the oldest fragments of the Greek Septuagint do contain the divine name in its Hebrew form, Dr. P. Kahle says: “We now know that the Greek Bible text [the Septuagint] as far as it was written by Jews for Jews did not translate the Divine name by kyrios, but the Tetragrammaton written with Hebrew or Greek letters was retained in such MSS [manuscripts]. It was the Christians who replaced the Tetragrammaton by kyrios, when the divine name written in Hebrew letters was not understood any more.” (The Cairo Geniza, Oxford, 1959, p. 222)

Restoration of the divine name in translation.

Recognizing that this must have been the case, some translators have included the name Jehovah in their renderings of the Christian Greek Scriptures. The Emphatic Diaglott, a 19th-century translation by Benjamin Wilson, contains the name Jehovah a number of times, particularly where the Christian writers quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures. But as far back as the 14th century the Tetragrammaton had already begun to be used in translations of the Christian Scriptures into Hebrew, beginning with the translation of Matthew into Hebrew that was incorporated in the work ’E′ven bo′chan by Shem-Tob ben Isaac Ibn Shaprut. Wherever Matthew quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures, this translation used the Tetragrammaton in each case of its occurrence. Many other Hebrew translations have since followed the same practice.

For all the peoples, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god; but we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.MICAH 4;5 :)

the bible tells me Gods name, here it is in psalm 83;18

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth. :)

Back