Christians are Free to Accept Reincarnation

I'm hoping that will never be my view of this glorious creation. Did always like the saying...the titanic was made by the finest engineers and shipbuilders in the world...the ark by amateurs. I don't ascribe this planet to be the titanic, a man made boondoggle, not by any means...nor am I ready to jump in the life boat...the analogy just doesn't sit with me.
Well, when the Ark was built it was the Earth that was tanked. I was not thinking of a 'fleshly' saving... more of a 'spiritual' one.

With resurrection, I find that everything including the Titanic, the Ark, everyone who has ever lived, the Earth at every moment... each lifetime at every single moment... absolutely anything and everything physically can be resurrected in some manner. It is within the fundamental design of the physics. Not so much that anyone or any history will necessarily be resurrected back into this world to live as it was before, but that outside of this world somewhere all history, every life, the Earth, every moment, may be seen as one giant book. Maybe like a hologram with perfect detail. The book is not what is alive though... it is the people who are writing the book who are alive. Some history is permanently lost from future pages... we all experience that... but the pages of history are never truly gone. Thus, the Titanic tanked on a page somewhere, but the page of the Titanic tanking... in exact perfect detail... still exists somewhere. Perhaps we'll watch it someday side by side with the people who lived it.

cyperpi said:
don't think so but I'm not sure I understand your beliefs. You seemed to present the belief that the purpose of life is to learn a lesson, and upon learning the lesson on this school of Earth that there is no reason to return to school. You seemed opposed to the concept of reincarnation as if it were a free pass for the jailed inmates or bad students on Earth to avoid learning the lessons. Yet if Jesus were an example then I figured it would cause a complete rethink of those beliefs. I imagine that a student who has taken every course in college, of every discipline, graduated with every degree, memorized every religious text, and is an expert on every religion... might fail to see any reason to ever go back to college.

Bruce said:
Eternal rest is sloth.

This would hold true only if you think that eternity is static. That is there is no learning to be had. I disagree. I think there is so much more to learn, and that we don't necessarily need to return to earth to learn it, though I won't discount the possibility that God would have some return to mortal life on Earth. But being limited in mind, we are limited also in learning. It is often said that we only retain 25% of what we learn in school. But if we were in a perfected physical state, where our minds would not be prone to forget, how much more of the knowledge would we be able to retain? 100%? Then we have the capability to learn all the religious texts of the world, our minds being the perfect computer (though I do not think there would be a need for books in heaven, as I imagine that all knowledge would be directly available to the mind via telepathic means of some sort). All lessons will be retained. And there will be much to learn, not only principally, but practically as well. Talk about higher education! :D

But if we were in a perfected physical state, where our minds would not be prone to forget, how much more of the knowledge would we be able to retain? 100%? Then we have the capability to learn all the religious texts of the world, our minds being the perfect computer (though I do not think there would be a need for books in heaven, as I imagine that all knowledge would be directly available to the mind via telepathic means of some sort). All lessons will be retained. And there will be much to learn, not only principally, but practically as well. Talk about higher education! :D
This is a very bright vision, Dondi. And it is one that I believe already exists, on this earth, today. We do not need to be physically perfect in order to participate in it ... though increased participation, learning and practice does lead, inevitably, to precisely that.

My only beef is with those who say, "I'm not coming back, because I don't want to." Quite frankly, this is what the argument against Reincarnation really boils down to. We can show that it was taught and believed in early Christian, and pre-Christian times, by every culture and world religion. Then, as now, there were skeptics, and because it is difficult to provide direct, physical PROOF, there will continue to be skeptics. But as I've said, wishful thinking ... won't change the facts (or at least, not fundamentally so). POSITIVE Thinking, on the other hand, is exactly what World Teachers such as Christ Jesus and the Buddha taught us to do. And THAT - does change things. :)

wil said:
Yes the title "Christians are Free to Accept Reincarnation" does also by proxy imply Christians are Free to REJECT Reincarnation...
Quite right, good observation ... thanks for helping keep the balance. After my last couple of posts, I immediately felt like saying something to the effect of - It really isn't so important WHAT we believe, but rather, what matters is what we DO with what we believe. And I stand by that, in principle, though there is still such a thing, as being right, and being wrong, about something like Rebirth.

I am reminded of a portion from Fragment II of one the most Sacred Texts any esotericist could ever come to study - The Voice of the Silence:
Saith the pupil:

O Teacher, what shall I do to reach to Wisdom?

O Wise one, what, to gain perfection?

Search for the Paths. But, O Lanoo, be of clean heart before thou startest on thy journey. Before thou takest thy first step learn to discern the real from the false, the ever-fleeting from the everlasting.

Learn above all to separate Head-learning from Soul-Wisdom, the "Eye" from the "Heart" doctrine.

Yea, ignorance is like unto a closed and airless vessel; the soul a bird shut up within. It warbles not, nor can it stir a feather; but the songster mute and torpid sits, and of exhaustion dies.

But even ignorance is better than Head-learning with no Soul-wisdom to illuminate and guide it.

False learning is rejected by the Wise, and scattered to the Winds by the good Law. Its wheel revolves for all, the humble and the proud. The "Doctrine of the Eye" is for the crowd, the "Doctrine of the Heart," for the elect. The first repeat in pride: "Behold, I know," the last, they who in humbleness have garnered, low confess, "thus have I heard".
And this is exactly how I therefore understand, and how I interpret, Christ's statement to the disciples in Luke 8, v.10, wherein he explains the parable of the Sower, saying:
Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

-----====(^_^)====-----

Andrew, you said,
"It really isn't so important WHAT we believe, but rather, what matters is what we DO with what we believe."
--> I agree. It has been said that, when we apply to enter Nirvana, we are not asked what we believe (we are not asked if we believe in Jesus, etc.) We are only required to prove we have evolved high enough to enter Nirvana.

By the way, I am presently reading The Voice of the Silence, one aphorism a day. Here is a good one I read recently:
53. Heaven's dew-drop glittering in the morn's first sunbeam within the bosom of the lotus, when dropped on earth becomes a piece of clay; behold, the pearl is now a speck of mire.

This would hold true only if you think that eternity is static. That is there is no learning to be had. I disagree. I think there is so much more to learn, and that we don't necessarily need to return to earth to learn it, though I won't discount the possibility that God would have some return to mortal life on Earth. But being limited in mind, we are limited also in learning. It is often said that we only retain 25% of what we learn in school. But if we were in a perfected physical state, where our minds would not be prone to forget, how much more of the knowledge would we be able to retain? 100%? Then we have the capability to learn all the religious texts of the world, our minds being the perfect computer (though I do not think there would be a need for books in heaven, as I imagine that all knowledge would be directly available to the mind via telepathic means of some sort). All lessons will be retained. And there will be much to learn, not only principally, but practically as well. Talk about higher education! :D
If the premise is that the purpose of life is to learn, and the premise that God sends people to Earth to work and learn the hard way... then I find that the student who arrives before God and is learned with 100% retainment in all religion, all subjects, all colleges, all degrees, at any time before death... I imagine God will look at him with disgust and strip him of every possession, and he will be thrown back as a baby, stripped of all knowledge for his failure to identify... his purpose.

Knowledge is a tool, a possession, like a computer or a car. Some people call them toys. Is the purpose to receive... or to give? Those who have more... more is expected of them. If the purpose of life is to learn, then learn to teach. There will always be a job.

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you." - John 16:12-14

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." - John 14:26

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" - John 15:26

The reason that the disciples couldn't bear anymore the things Jesus wanted to teach them is because they had yet to receive the Holy Spirit. It is this indwelling Spirit guides us to all truth. But since the disciples did not yet possess the Holy Spirit, they were limited to the understanding of a natural man (See I Corinthians 2:9-16). They could not understand any more untill the Holy Spirit enlighted their hearts and minds at Pentacost (Acts 2). They became spiritual men through the process of being born-again of the Spirit. In receiving the Holy Spirit, they began a deep relationship with God and through the experience and revelation of the Spirit of God, they learned all things.

Yes, there is much to learn. But I don't see any advantage of returning to earth to learn when we can continue in the Presence of God in the Kingdom of God.

Perhaps this learning might take place on Earth during the Millenial Kingdom where Christ reigns for 1000 years (Rev 20:4-6). Maybe we'll all be there and learn to Love God and Love each other. Those that are part of the First resurrection are those who will reign with Him. There, perhaps we will teach those who still don't know or misunderstand the grace of God from the surrounding nations. Then after 1000 years, those that still resist, well, that's their choice. Those that come to God will be part of the second resurrection. Whatever the case, I believe God will be fair.

If the premise is that the purpose of life is to learn, and the premise that God sends people to Earth to work and learn the hard way... then I find that the student who arrives before God and is learned with 100% retainment in all religion, all subjects, all colleges, all degrees, at any time before death... I imagine God will look at him with disgust and strip him of every possession, and he will be thrown back as a baby, stripped of all knowledge for his failure to identify... his purpose.

Knowledge is a tool, a possession, like a computer or a car. Some people call them toys. Is the purpose to receive... or to give? Those who have more... more is expected of them. If the purpose of life is to learn, then learn to teach. There will always be a job.

Perhaps the term "learn" is a bit simplistic, for it implies a certain amount of head knowledge. But the kind of spiritual learning involves the heart. Learning to love others, learning to love God. Yes, and teach others to do the same. It is learning to live life. God knows, I'm not ever going to learn everything in this present lifetime. You seem to think I mean that we can learn all here. But I'm arguing that we can learn in the Kingdom of God, wherever and however that might be. I'm not going to stop learning once I'm gone, but that learning continues on and on and on (how many fingers can I hold up to count to infinity). But if we are resurrected in bodies that will be able to hold knowledge at a greater capacity, wouldn't that be better than the grey matter we have now?

What do you consider the purpose of life, cyberpi?

Perhaps the term "learn" is a bit simplistic, for it implies a certain amount of head knowledge. But the kind of spiritual learning involves the heart. Learning to love others, learning to love God. Yes, and teach others to do the same. It is learning to live life. God knows, I'm not ever going to learn everything in this present lifetime. You seem to think I mean that we can learn all here. But I'm arguing that we can learn in the Kingdom of God, wherever and however that might be. I'm not going to stop learning once I'm gone, but that learning continues on and on and on (how many fingers can I hold up to count to infinity). But if we are resurrected in bodies that will be able to hold knowledge at a greater capacity, wouldn't that be better than the grey matter we have now?

What do you consider the purpose of life, cyberpi?
Whether or not you can learn ALL in the Kingdom of God is irrelevant to me as I consider ALL that I have learned here to have been from God, whether directly or indirectly. I still have to leave a lot of that behind (don't use it), to go and actually do something for other people. If you ask why a person would leave their little corner of heaven, their safe house, their comfort zone, their wealth of knowledge (ALL, right, in the Kingdom of God), and walk the Earth... then I'd ask you why Jesus did it.

Purpose? Children teach me my purpose.

Whether or not you can learn ALL in the Kingdom of God is irrelevant to me as I consider ALL that I have learned here to have been from God, whether directly or indirectly. I still have to leave a lot of that behind (don't use it), to go and actually do something for other people. If you ask why a person would leave their little corner of heaven, their safe house, their comfort zone, their wealth of knowledge (ALL, right, in the Kingdom of God), and walk the Earth... then I'd ask you why Jesus did it.

Purpose? Children teach me my purpose.

Agreed. Everything we learn is from God. How do you know that we would not be interacting with people in heaven? Maybe teaching others in heaven?

"I still have to leave a lot of that behind (don't use it), to go and actually do something for other people."

That's part of the learning, too.

"If you ask why a person would leave their little corner of heaven, their safe house, their comfort zone, their wealth of knowledge (ALL, right, in the Kingdom of God), and walk the Earth... then I'd ask you why Jesus did it."

Good question. Because He loves us? And He wants us there in that little corner?

I'll ask again, where, in 2,000 years of a pretty prolific written history, is the evidence for the belief in reincarnation ... without it, it's just speculation and opinion based on personal prejudice.
Thomas

Here's some examples for you:

The Kabala along with other Jewish works, demonstrates that the Hebrews certainly entertained the idea of reincarnation.

"Rabbi Isaac Luria founded a school of the Kabala around 1560, and the great exponent of his teachings, Rabbi Chajim Vital, wrote a famed work called Otz Chiim, or the Tree of Life, from which Baron Knorr von Rosenroth, a Christian Kabalist, took the Book on the Rashith ha Gilgalim, revolutions of souls, or scheme of reincarnations."
So Christian Kabalists certainly supported the Jewish doctrine.

Christian Knorr von Rosenroth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Talmudic Miscellany by Paul Isaac Hershon contains the the following quotations from the Kabala:

If a man be niggardly either in a financial or a spiritual regard, giving nothing of his money to the poor, or not imparting of his knowledge to the ignorant, he shall be punished by transmigration into a woman.

Know thou that Sarah, Hannah, the Shunamite (2 Kings, iv. 8), and the widow of Zarepta, were each in turn possessed by the soul of Eve.

The soul of Rahab transmigrated into Heber the Kenite, and afterwards into Hannah; and this is the mystery of her words: "I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit" (I Sam. i. 15)- for there still lingered in her soul a sorrowful sense of inherited defilement. . . . Sometimes the souls of pious Jews pass by metempsychosis into Gentiles, in order that they may plead on behalf of Israel and treat them kindly.
Yalkut Reubeni, Nos. 1, 8, 61, 63

-Br.Bruce

Dondi;122898Yes said:
As I said, it is an interesting question as to why development takes place away from the heavenly realms.

"(God) who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." Cor. 2 3:6 KJV

There is much in the Holy Scriptures, but they do not by any means contain all knowledge.

Paul, when speaking about those who interpreted literally, stated:

"But their minds (of the children of Israel) were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same veil untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which [veil] is done away in Christ." Ibid 3:14

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1Co 2:14

rephrased:

But the natural man [who interprets literally] receiveth not [cannot understand] the things of the Spirit of God: [the things written by the Spirit of God in the scriptures] for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. [because they are only understood spiritually.] 1 Co 2:14
"That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Colossians 2:2-3

"All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" are hid in Father God and Christ.

Shalom,
Br.Bruce

I have some quotes concerning reincarnation that I found on Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife website:

One of the purposes of the life review is to make an informed choice between remaining in spirit and returning to flesh. Should we choose to merge completely with the light of God, we will never again be able to choose, on our own decision, to return to physical life. The decision to merge in the light is the best decision. (Thomas Sawyer)

If we do not wish to reincarnate to the physical state to learn our lessons, there are schools in the spirit were we can learn them. However, learning our lessons in the physical state is the fastest way to learn them. (David Oakford)

What do you make of this? Isn't this what I've been trying to tell you?

Yes, Dondi, this is the teaching of `Pure Land' Buddhism. And in Hinduism this in-between state, this merging is referred to as Devachan. Theosophy, which of course, borrowed the teaching from Hinduism, presented it to the West ~125 years ago ... when it was all but unknown to 99.9% of us.

And Buddhism, too, teaches that such a state exists, whether it is called Nirvana, or somehow folded into the teaching of the Trikaya - specifically, the Sambhogakaya aspect (or `bliss sheath'). Either way, the person would be experiencing the state of bliss temporarily ... for not until the stage of Arhat can any of us enter into Nirvana for any lengthy stay.

And even the Arhat, must return to continue his spiritual development, though he may choose to do this at a much later point. Esotericially, your Soul and mine, are technically ARHATS (most likely), whom and which achieved thier goal on the earlier `Moon Chain' - which was the previous Cycle of Earth's evolution (many billions of years ago). They return, and make their Sacrifice, that we too, might come to attain to their same status ... in this, or in some future cycle.

Other words for the Arhat include: Arhan, Arahat, Arahant, Lohan, Rahat, Paramahamsa (as in `Paramahamsa Yogananda,' for example), etc.

But you and I are, neither one of us, arhats ... thus we shall have several more incarnations until we even have this option!

Now, as to the above quotes, from Thomas Sawyer and David Oakford, I would only have to assume that either they are actually referring to the Arhat stage of spiritual evolution, whether they know it or not ... or else they are being wishful, but are nonetheless mistaken. That is, of course, only mho, and even an account I read just yesterday by someone I hold in very high esteem ... should be seen in this same light. It describes precisely what you've mentioned, Dondi - a near-death experience, in which the person involved was supposedly given an opportunity to merge into the Universal Light and Love, and abide with God. I don't doubt that he was given this opportunity; but remember, all such experiences occur in a (relatively) timeless state. And this is exactly what the upper portions of the Mental world, or Devachan, are like (existing in 5 dimensions, as opposed to the 4D astral plane).

You can read Steven Greer's brief account here, as a PDF: http://www.disclosureproject.org/PDF-Documents/chapters_1_&_2.pdf

Anyway, just because someone presents a New Age perspective, speaks of OOBEs and NDEs, and believes in rebirth (opportunities), does not mean they have the correct understanding. I think I quoted earlier, if not on this thread then on another, regarding the teachings of the early Theosophists on this matter. It is pointed out that all the wrong details were seized upon and emphasized, not out of any wrong intention or wish to mislead, but simply because much of the investigation was being conducted from an astral plane point of view. Good motives are one thing, but the astral plane is a world of distortions and illusion (or `glamour') ... and much misleading information has been given out. Thus, I think we have the explanation here, for the inaccurate (because over-enthusiastic) points you have quoted.

And of course, I could just be - flat wrong. ;)

cheers,

~Andrew

Thomas asked:

>I'll ask again, where, in 2,000 years of a pretty prolific written >history, is the evidence for the belief in reincarnation ... without it, >it's just speculation and opinion based on personal prejudice.

Josephus is well known to Christian apologists.
In his Antiquity of the Jews (Book i8, Chap. 1, No.2), Josephus states that there were three sects of philosophy amongst the Jews: the Essenes, the Pharisees, and the Sadducees. The doctrine of the Sadducees was that souls die with the bodies, but both the Essenes and the Pharisees, he affirms, believed in rebirth. As to the Essenes, he states elsewhere:

They smiled in their very pains and laughed to scorn those who inflicted torments upon them, and resigned up their souls with great alacrity, as expecting to receive them again.
For their doctrine is this, that bodies are corruptible, and that the matter they are made of is not permanent; but that the souls are immortal, and continue for ever: and that they come out of the most subtile air, and are united to their bodies as to prisons, into which they are drawn by a certain natural enticement; but that when they are set free from the bonds of flesh, they then, as released from a long bondage, rejoice and mount upward. . . .
These are the divine doctrines of the Essenes about the soul....
Jewish War, Book 2, Chap. 8, Nos. 10- 11

[The Pharisees] believe that souls have an immortal vigour in them [and that the virtuous] shall have power to revive and live again: on account of which doctrines they are able greatly to persuade the body of the people.
Antiquity of the Jews, Book i8, Chap. 1, No.3

Philo Judeus (20 B.C.-A.D. 54): ALEXANDRlAN PHILOSOPHER AND JEW:

The air is full of souls; those who are nearest to earth descending to be tied to mortal bodies return to other bodies, desiring to live in them.
De Somniis

The company of disembodied souls is distributed in various orders. The law of some of them is to enter mortal bodies and after certain prescribed periods be again set free. But those possessed of a diviner structure are absolved from all local bonds of earth. Some of these souls choose confinement in mortal bodies because they are earthly and corporeally inclined...
All such as are wise, like Moses, are living abroad from home. For the souls of such formerly chose this expatriation from heaven, and through curiosity and the desire of acquiring knowledge they came to dwell abroad in earthly nature, and while they dwell in the body they look down on things visible and mortal around them, and urge their way thitherward again whence they came originally: and call that heavenly region ... their citizenship, fatherland, but this earthly region in which they live, foreign.

Flavius Josephus (A.D. 37-100)-HISTORIAN:

[From an address of Josephus to some Jewish soldiers who desired to kill themselves rather than be captured by the Romans:]

The bodies of all men are, indeed mortal, and are created out of corruptible matter; but the soul is ever immortal, and is a portion of the divinity that inhabits our bodies. . . . Do ye not remember that all pure Spirits when they depart out of this life obtain a most holy place in heaven, from whence, in the revolutions of ages, they are again sent into pure bodies; while the souls of those who have committed self-destruction are doomed to a region in the darkness of Hades?
Jewish War, Book 3, Chap. 8, No. 5

-More evidence that the Jews definitely believed in reincarnation.

-Br.Bruce

One of the purposes of the life review is to make an informed choice between remaining in spirit and returning to flesh. Should we choose to merge completely with the light of God, we will never again be able to choose, on our own decision, to return to physical life. The decision to merge in the light is the best decision. (Thomas Sawyer)

If we do not wish to reincarnate to the physical state to learn our lessons, there are schools in the spirit were we can learn them. However, learning our lessons in the physical state is the fastest way to learn them. (David Oakford)

What do you make of this? Isn't this what I've been trying to tell you?

I believe in order to develop we need to come home to Mother Earth. The only constant is change, and even Mother Earth will change and "reincarnate".

We have been in a period where there has been much spiritual blindness, but this way of things is set to change. We have all the events of the Second Coming to look forward to, for one thing.

The term Nirvana means "blown out" like a candle, and refers to our merging with Father God - and that state is one of unimaginable Bliss.

At the midnight hour between death and rebirth, Tomberg informs us that we need to be sheilded from this experience, because very few would want to leave it.

We go to Heaven in order to be refreshed- that's all.

Do you believe in the pre-existence of the soul before birth?
Jeremiah was certainly in existence before he arrived in his mother's womb:

Jeremiah 1:4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

We may not remember a former life. What does Ecclesiastes say about this-
Ecclesiastes 1:11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

-Br.Bruce
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

Bruce. your view is your interperatation, as your talk about the freedom of Christians to accept your interperatation.

As human beings they're free to accept anything.
But as to Christianity, I have to ask what makes your views Christian.
And Christianity that doesn't accept reincarnation, are you saying they lack a true understanding, where as you have the truth?

I don't really understand reincarnation.

I've lost a loved one.
What of the beleif that we will meet again?

How does this fit into reincarnation.

What of my own personal experience.
If I am a reincarnated being, what of my loved ones from past lives? I don't remember them, I don't know them, I don't remember my own person.

What happens to people and loved ones, the memories, the love even? I can't remember none of it myself.
If I am a reincarnated being, why am my memories only of this life?

Jeremiah 1:4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Bruce,

Since this is the omniscient Lord God speaking in this passage, how do you know He isn't speaking of His foreknowledge of Jeremiah, seeing how He purposed beforehand to raise Jeremiah as a prophet.

Ecclesiastes 1:11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

This verse is in context with the idea that there is nothing new under the sun as far as the experiences of man. All is vanity:

Ecclesiates 1:9-10 - The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

Try putting verses into context sometimes. It helps to explain the passage.

>Since this is the omniscient Lord God speaking in this passage, how do you >know He isn't speaking of His foreknowledge of Jeremiah, seeing how He >purposed beforehand to raise Jeremiah as a prophet.

Because, Dondi, i) the Jews believed in reincarnation and ii) compare Malachi and Paul:
(Romans 9:10-14)And not only so; but Rebecca also having conceived by one, even by our father Isaac-- 11 for the children being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth, 12 it was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 Even as it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated. 14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

We cannot love or hate a non-existing thing.

>This verse is in context with the idea that there is nothing new under the >sun as far as the experiences of man.

The above does not indicate "experiences". In fact it suggests physical objects that we can "see".

"Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my
new name."
Revelation 3:12

Evidently he had gone out into incarnation before or the words "no more" could have no place or meaning.

Sure there are different ways of interpreting a verse. Origen states that there are three main ways.

Quite frankly, I don't believe an honest viewing of Biblical verses can prove or disprove reincarnation. It is up to the individual.

To me, there's no more sensible solution to the riddle of life. What fairer a system could there be?

How do you account for the different fates that human beings start out with in life? What of early deaths, severe mental retardation, poverty, wealth, "bad childhoods" etc? What of those who spend an entire lifetime totally shielded from any knowledge of Christianity?- are they bound for eternal damnation?

No, reincarnation is the fairest system which God in His Wisdom has put in place that we may be healed and purified- as St. Gregory put it.
"It is absolutely necessary that the soul should be healed and purified, and if this does not take place during its life on earth it must be accomplished in future lives."
-St. Gregory- Bishop of Nyssa 257-332.

There it is, thank you St. Gregory- who must be the patron saint of reincarnation. The early Christians believed in reincarnation - as indeed the Jews did before them - until a Papal worm or something came along and told them not to.

Happy Trails,
-Br.Bruce

Back