Has CR changed you?

Has Cr changed me...

no...

although it has helped me to learn more about other ppl..

conversation, in real time, is different...

most of it is impression management, and sharing for effect- status variables defining roles, etc, reminding us of what we are...

in real time, we play games with each other...

in forums, beyond the reach of harsh eyes, beyond a veil of anonymity, we can be who we are, rather than play that real-time game of "the best opinion belongs to the man with the nice voice in the most expensive and well cut suit"

In real-time, I would not get the opportunity to meet such a diverse group of people and ask them my inane and often ridiculously trite questions...

Instead of telling me what they really feel, they would dress it up, quickly check their position against the status variables before packaging an answer, they would be forced to factor in the weather, how much time they had to spare, whether they deemed me worthy of address, or not...

I have also learnt that even in a place where anonymity means we can more or less do and be and say what we want, people still play games...

The classic games are still played out- the "holier than thou" game, the "intellectual and superior" game, we manifest personas which do not exist in real-time, and occasionally the masks slips, reveals a pettiness, or weakness, which is hurredly then concealed again...

not all ppl are like that, though...

As for friends... ahhh...

Is that why we are here? To make friends? I thought we were all here because we are all ego-trippers who conceitedly think our opinions have some merit, or because we are brainwashed types on missions to convert the masses...

what, isn't that why ur all here, too?

(damn)

As for friends... ahhh...

Is that why we are here? To make friends? I thought we were all here because we are all ego-trippers who conceitedly think our opinions have some merit, or because we are brainwashed types on missions to convert the masses...

what, isn't that why ur all here, too?

(damn)

Or maybe it is more because of the reason you listed earlier:

in forums, beyond the reach of harsh eyes, beyond a veil of anonymity, we can be who we are, rather than play that real-time game of "the best opinion belongs to the man with the nice voice in the most expensive and well cut suit"

One common thread that has been running through this, er, thread--besides the friends thing--is that many of us hang out here for some intellectual stimulation that can be hard to come by in the daily marketplace world. Sure, sometimes there can be some ego-trippin' involved in that (is anyone here willing to cast the first stone at the ego trippers?), but I don't think that, for most of us, that is the primary motivation.

As for those wishing to create converts, I don't think these forums are very conducive or welcoming to those types, and they tend not to stick around for too long. Or if they do, they learn over time that this isn't a place to gain a lot of notches on your cross.

Yes it has certainly changed me, regularly. Unlike Dauer I am much less tolerant now of fundamentalists, I have seen how easy it is for a perfectly peaceful religious teaching to be twisted into something hateful and nasty - I shall fight that to my last breath.

It has taught me a lot about other faiths, about how we can come together if only we want to.

What changed me the most has been InLove and Greymare - they have taught me that the bond of sisters is something real and even though we have very different beliefs their love and support has helped me to grow into a more loving person. Thank you InLove and Greymare and to my male friends here that have offered their hand in friendship, respect and love.

I have made true friends here and I cherish that deeply.

Salaam

awwwww mw, thanks heaps sister. and to have my name in the same sentence as Inlove is truly humbling. although she would have shyed away from that kind of thing, it is a wonderful ride we are all on.

Oh no, I was so tired when I typed that earlier (although no less tired now) but having read it again I make it sound as though I have 2 female friends and the rest are male - not what I meant, I have made many special friends here of both sexes.

Oh dear, maybe I should just be quiet now but I hope nobody will take offense and that people can understand what I was trying to say. :eek:

Oh no, I was so tired when I typed that earlier (although no less tired now) but having read it again I make it sound as though I have 2 female friends and the rest are male - not what I meant, I have made many special friends here of both sexes.

Oh dear, maybe I should just be quiet now but I hope nobody will take offense and that people can understand what I was trying to say. :eek:

Too late, I've already read it! From now on, I'm just going to talk to my male friends so ttttttttthhhhhhhpppptttt:p

s.

Too late, I've already read it! From now on, I'm just going to talk to my male friends so ttttttttthhhhhhhpppptttt:p

s.

YAY my cunning plan worked - I bet the guys are all joining other forums as I type :p:p:p

*love ya really*

YAY my cunning plan worked - I bet the guys are all joining other forums as I type :p:p:p

*love ya really*

I'm not listening.....

...OK that was just a pretend grump. :)

s. (one of the regular guys)

Francis,
I thought we were all here because we are all ego-trippers who conceitedly think our opinions have some merit, or because we are brainwashed types on missions to convert the masses...

Bad day at the office hun?

Well I for one do a lot ego projection here. I am aware of my limited intellectual talents but come here in part to exercise them. But mostly I come here because few people I know in real life are interested in the topics I enjoy discussing here or when they are any conversation tends to be short of the depth to be found here. When you talk here after a short edit time your posts are a permanent record of who you are, that cannot be avoided or denied. So there is a tendency to think hard before committing yourself and the desire to make yourself as clear as possible. It brings out the best of intellectual ability. You can choose to be cynical about this, and call it a toy of the ego, or you can appreciate people trying hard to be clear, even if you disagree with them. I have watched people grow here. The nature and stature of their posts go from tentative toe-dips to virtual treatises. And I am constantly surprised by the insights they bring. And you are certainly among their number. So if this place is just a manifestation of ego.....long live ego!!

Tao

Sally,
Hi and great to see your name painted all over the last post column again!!

I think one thing you can be sure of... you saw something in that post that the rest of us did not.

You are a gem here we all enjoy :)

Tao

I get by with a little help from my friends...

mmmmmmmmmmm

I get high with a little help from my friends..

mmmmmmmmmmm

Gonna try with a little help from my friends...

mmmmmmmmmmm

*puts his arms around the nearest two forum family members and slowly sways*

I Brian has given us all a great gift in CR and for that I know that I owe him a great debt. Not only is there a place where we can vent,exercise the grey matter, and socialize but also a public forum to grow in. Having been extraordinarly patient with whole scruffy lot of us I Brian deserves the gratitude of all the members here.
I know, as I have come to know the fine and erudite members on this board,that I am not alone in these sentiments.
Thank you Brian, you're a hell of a guy

Back