Are jehovah's witnesses Christians

Are jehovah's witnesses Christians ?

• Yes

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
No problem with any of that salt. I embrace JWs as my sisters and brothers in Christ. Do they feel the same way toward me?

They're individuals like you and me.:)

Never forget the human element. Never forget what makes us human.

I remember being told that, something like 50% of the stuff we're taught through one ear goes out the other ear. Can't remember the exact numbers.:D They won't all necessarily think you're outside the box (so to speak).

Besides, what we believe is influenced by our life experiences. Do people have to blame themselves for making bad choices in life or believing the wrong things?

Maybe when you were a teenager you believed in a soul mate but when you got older you weren't so sure anymore......

We'll figure it out one day......I'm sure God understands our limitations. He would never expect more of us than we can reasonably do.

JW's and Mormon's may indeed have added their own books to run alongside the Bible, but it's hard not to find any denomination which has not published a range of viewpoints defining their own doctrines and accepted translations.

Roman Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Coptic, JW, Mormon, denominational - all will have signficant differences but are still built on a core message.

Christianity literally seems like a plant with many branches. :)

What I would say is that, if in Christianity, Jesus is the only person who can bring a person to the Father, then whether it's Catholicism, Mormonism, WatchTower ideology or any of the Protestant branches, we can't take it with us when we die. It's left behind. Only the Jesus freak in us gets there.:)

They're individuals like you and me.:)

Never forget the human element. Never forget what makes us human.

I remember being told that, something like 50% of the stuff we're taught through one ear goes out the other ear. Can't remember the exact numbers.:D They won't all necessarily think you're outside the box (so to speak).

Besides, what we believe is influenced by our life experiences. Do people have to blame themselves for making bad choices in life or believing the wrong things?

Maybe when you were a teenager you believed in a soul mate but when you got older you weren't so sure anymore......

We'll figure it out one day......I'm sure God understands our limitations. He would never expect more of us than we can reasonably do.

Well, that all sounds like you are making excuses for why a JW does not accept me as their sister in Christ. But no worries salt. I do interact with one person at a time and I'm IRL friends with JWs and really have never had an issue about it.

However, I am interested to hear whether mee or any other JW here considers me a sister in Christ.

Hi Brian –

I think the point is, as I make often, that Tradition produced the Scripture, not the other way round ... so if you want to understand the Scripture, ask the Tradition. The Scripture says what the Tradition believes.

No-one has been able to disprove that maxim to me.

The RC, EO, OOC and pre-Reformation denominations have a surprisingly unified understanding and interpretation of Scripture, their differences involve subsequent theological distinctions, often most nuanced and confusing. The difference between the Orthodox (in this case Rome and the Greek East) and the Egyptian, Oriental Orthodox or Coptic Church can be summed up as follows:
Orthodox believe in two natures in one person.
Coptics believe in one person in two natures.
... now how you explain those to be different is everything!

But we all believe in the humanity and divinity of Christ

And this continued after the Reformation (essentially a break with Tradition in favour of nationalist geopolitical interests), by and large, in the immediate short-term ... but once one person (Luther) succeeded in having a go, the way was open for everyone to decide what Christianity means ...

The very proliferation of denominations is evidence of unknowing, not of knowing.

+++

The next big wave, of primarily American religions, owe more it seems to me, if I am to be honest, to the realisation of the American Dream rather than the realisation of religious freedom. Religion is big business and there's big money to be made ...

That they choose to interpret Scripture differently is their prerogative ... but that they choose, as part of their doctrine, to accuse the hand that fed them as being 'the great apostacy' is something else altogether.

+++

Of course, were they really Christian, were they really acting under Divine impulse, they would act as the saints did and do, and motivated by love, would seek to reform from within, by example, and create harmony, not disharmony, dissent, etc. and suffer any hardship in the name of God.

And where ignored, suffer as their Master suffered ...

Not create disharmony, dissent, division, etc.,

+++

Is the Roman Catholic Church perfect? No. Why? Because it's made of people, and people aren't perfect. But will I serve that Church usefully by crowing about what's wrong? No.

Better to engage in prayer, look after the pennies, as thewy say, and let the Holy Spirit look after the Big Picture.

Anyway ... not sure that gets us any further forward ...

Thomas

Persecution has always been about authority and politics, not Sola Scriptura or any other ridiculous labels used to excuse the guilty. Cease to smear the good name of the Vaudois, Moravians and other gentle protestors who lived in peace and died for their faith at the hands of Catholic and Protestant authorities! Both authorities came together to destroy 'heretics', 'rebaptizers' and 'any' that refused their absolute authority. Sola Scriptura is merely a label used to besmirch the good by the bad. So many Protestants and Catholics remained in their seats only out of fear, but seats -- merely chunks of wood -- have somehow become idols.

Surely you see a similarity between this and this phrase from Jesus' parable in Matt 24:48-49 "But if that wicked servant says to himself, `My master is delayed,' and begins to beat his fellow servants,..."
I'd give you some positive reputation points on the post, Dream, but I'm done repped out! :eek:

THEIR NAME

Jehovah's Witnesses? Yes, that is the way they refer to themselves.

It is a descriptive name, indicating that they bear witness concerning Jehovah, his Godship, and his purposes.

"God," "Lord," and "Creator"—like "President," "King," and "General"—are titles and may be applied to several different personages.

But "Jehovah" is a personal name and refers to the almighty God and Creator of the universe.
This is shown at Psalm 83:18, according to the King James version of the Bible: "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."

God's personal name in ancient Hebrew

fp04.jpg

The name Jehovah (or Yahweh, as the Roman Catholic Jerusalem Bible and some scholars prefer) appears almost 7,000 times in the original Hebrew Scriptures.

Most Bibles do not show it as such but substitute "God" or "Lord" for it. However, even in these Bibles, a person can usually tell where the original Hebrew text uses Jehovah because in those places the substituted words are written in large and small capitals, thus: G[SIZE=-1]OD[/SIZE], L[SIZE=-1]ORD[/SIZE].

Several modern translations do use either the name Jehovah or the name Yahweh. Hence, the New World Translation reads at Isaiah 42:8, "I am Jehovah. That is my name."
The name as related to
a courtroom drama

The Scriptural account that Jehovah's Witnesses draw on for their name is in the 43rd chapter of Isaiah.

There the world scene is viewed as a courtroom drama: The gods of the nations are invited to bring forth their witnesses to prove their claimed cases of righteousness or to hear the witnesses for Jehovah's side and acknowledge the truth.
Jehovah there declares to his people: "Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am Jehovah; and besides me there is no saviour."—Isaiah 43:10, 11,
American Standard Version.

Jehovah God had witnesses on earth during the thousands of years before Jesus was born.
After Hebrews chapter 11 lists some of those men of faith, Hebrews 12:1 says: "So, then, because we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also put off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."
Jesus said before Pontius Pilate: "For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth." He is called "the faithful and true witness." (John 18:37; Revelation 3:14) Jesus told his disciples: "You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth."—Acts 1:8.

some 7000,000 persons today who are telling the good news of Jehovah's Kingdom by Christ Jesus in over 235 lands feel that they properly refer to themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses.

There are some very insightful posts here.

makes me feel a bit life this.

Proverbs 30:2-3 (New American Standard Bible)

2Surely I am more stupid than any man,
And I do not have the understanding of a man.
3Neither have I learned wisdom,
Nor do I have the knowledge of the Holy One

For Jehovah himself gives wisdom; out of his mouth there are knowledge and discernment
proverbs 2;6

Does not wisdom keep calling out, and discernment keep giving forth its voice? proverbs 8;1

The heart of the understanding one acquires knowledge, and the ear of wise ones seeks to find knowledge.proverbs 18;15

The fear of Jehovah is the start of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Most Holy One is what understanding is. proverbs 9;10

and this is what JESUS SAID in JOHN 17;3

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. JOHN 17;3

its all in the bible and thats the way to do it :)

well more chrisitan then catholics are their demi-gods, i mean saint intervention, i mean demi-gods

*cough*

Are jehovah's witnesses christians? they are :)

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses an American religion?

They are advocates of God’s Kingdom, not of the political, economic, or social system of any nation of this old world.

It is true that Jehovah’s Witnesses had their modern-day start in the United States.

The location of their world headquarters there has helped to make it possible to print and ship Bible literature to most parts of the world.

But the Witnesses do not favor one nation over another; they are found in almost every nation, and they have offices in many parts of the earth to supervise their activity in those areas.

Consider: Jesus as a Jew was born in Palestine, but Christianity is not a Palestinian religion, is it?

The place of Jesus’ human birth is not the most important factor to consider.

What Jesus taught originated with his Father, Jehovah God, who deals impartially with people of all nations.—John 14:10; Acts 10:34, 35.

THEIR NAME

Jehovah's Witnesses? Yes, that is the way they refer to themselves....

...some 7000,000 persons today who are telling the good news of Jehovah's Kingdom by Christ Jesus in over 235 lands feel that they properly refer to themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses.

that's alot of copying and pasting... but i noticed you changed 6,000,000 to 7,000,000; interesting.

Are jehovah's witnesses christians? they are :)

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses an American religion?

They are advocates of God’s Kingdom, not of the political, economic, or social system of any nation of this old world.

It is true that Jehovah’s Witnesses had their modern-day start in the United States.

The location of their world headquarters there has helped to make it possible to print and ship Bible literature to most parts of the world.

But the Witnesses do not favor one nation over another; they are found in almost every nation, and they have offices in many parts of the earth to supervise their activity in those areas.

Consider: Jesus as a Jew was born in Palestine, but Christianity is not a Palestinian religion, is it?

The place of Jesus’ human birth is not the most important factor to consider.

What Jesus taught originated with his Father, Jehovah God, who deals impartially with people of all nations.—John 14:10; Acts 10:34, 35.
He wasn't born in Palestine. He was born in Bethlehem, and it wasn't called Palestine until after 70 AD...and frankly, you shouldn't post "pastes" unless you research them to insure they are accurate. NWT is not that accurate...

He wasn't born in Palestine. He was born in Bethlehem, and it wasn't called Palestine until after 70 AD...and frankly, you shouldn't post "pastes" unless you research them to insure they are accurate. NWT is not that accurate...

Uhm, I dont see the major issue? Where were you born Q? America? Or were you?(I am sure that it wasn't called that to begin with...) But what does it matter? It's still the same place. Perhaps the use of "Palestine" is to help modern people understand the location, the lay of the land... Thoughts?

Uhm, I dont see the major issue? Where were you born Q? America? Or were you?(I am sure that it wasn't called that to begin with...) But what does it matter? It's still the same place. Perhaps the use of "Palestine" is to help modern people understand the location, the lay of the land... Thoughts?
Alex...do you like Rugby?

I prefer American Rules Football...

in this case it is "ends against the middle". Choose or not, but don't play games.

Is she/he Christ's saved, or is he/she Jehovah bound? That is all there is.

I never hurt him/her, and I never hurt you. Don't hurt us. (yeah, it's that important).

Are jehovah's witnesses Christians

followers of christ is what Jehovahs witnesses are .

and the most high JEHOVAH said
LISTEN TO HIM LUKE 9;35

And they do :) matthew 28;19-20

How do Jehovah’s Witnesses arrive at their explanation of the Bible?

A key factor is that the Witnesses really believe that the Bible is God’s Word and that what it contains is there for our instruction. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Rom. 15:4; 1 Cor. 10:11)

So they do not resort to philosophical arguments to evade its clear statements of truth or to justify the way of life of people who have abandoned its moral standards

In pointing out the meaning of symbolic language in the Bible, they let the Bible provide its own explanation, instead of giving their theories as to its significance. (1 Cor. 2:13)

Indications as to the meaning of symbolic terms are usually found in other parts of the Bible. (As an example, see Revelation 21:1; then, regarding the meaning of "sea," read Isaiah 57:20. To identify "the Lamb" referred to in Revelation 14:1, see John 1:29 and 1 Peter 1:19.)

As for fulfillment of prophecy, they apply what Jesus said about being alert to events that correspond to what was foretold. (Luke 21:29-31; compare 2 Peter 1:16-19.)

Conscientiously they point out those events and draw attention to what the Bible indicates they mean.

Jesus said that he would have on earth a "faithful and discreet slave" (his anointed followers viewed as a group), through which agency he would provide spiritual food to those making up the household of faith. (Matt. 24:45-47)

Jehovah’s Witnesses recognize that arrangement. As was true of first-century Christians, they look to the governing body of that "slave" class to resolve difficult questions—not on the basis of human wisdom, but by drawing on their knowledge of God’s Word and his dealings with his servants, and with the help of God’s spirit, for which they earnestly pray.—Acts 15:1-29; 16:4, 5.

but i noticed you changed 6,000,000 to 7,000,000; interesting.

and that GREAT CROWD keeps:) GETTING LARGER :)
revelation 7;9-10

now it is 7 MILLION and they are all waving their symbolic palm branch to welcome Gods reigning king
JESUS CHRIST

Why have there been changes over the years in the teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

The Bible shows that Jehovah enables his servants to understand his purpose in a progressive manner. (Prov. 4:18; John 16:12)

Thus, the prophets who were divinely inspired to write portions of the Bible did not understand the meaning of everything that they wrote. (Dan. 12:8, 9; 1 Pet. 1:10-12)

The apostles of Jesus Christ realized that there was much they did not understand in their time. (Acts 1:6, 7; 1 Cor. 13:9-12)

The Bible shows that there would be a great increase in knowledge of the truth during "the time of the end." (Dan. 12:4)

Increased knowledge often requires adjustments in one’s thinking. Jehovah’s Witnesses are willing humbly to make such adjustments.

Why do Jehovah’s Witnesses preach from house to house?

Jesus foretold for our day this work: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." He also instructed his followers: "Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations."—Matt. 24:14; 28:19.

When Jesus sent out his early disciples, he directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matt. 10:7, 11-13)

The apostle Paul said regarding his ministry: "I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house."—Acts 20:20, 21; see also Acts 5:42.

The message that the Witnesses proclaim involves the lives of people; they want to be careful to miss no one. (Zeph. 2:2, 3) Their calls are motivated by love—first for God, also for their neighbor.

A conference of religious leaders in Spain noted this: "Perhaps [the churches] are excessively neglectful about that which precisely constitutes the greatest preoccupation of the Witnesses—the home visit, which comes within the apostolic methodology of the primitive church.

While the churches, on not a few occasions, limit themselves to constructing their temples, ringing their bells to attract the people and to preaching inside their places of worship, [the Witnesses] follow the apostolic tactic of going from house to house and of taking advantage of every occasion to witness."—El Catolicismo, Bogotá, Colombia, September 14, 1975, p. 14.

Why are Jehovah’s Witnesses persecuted and spoken against?
Jesus said: "If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me before it hated you.
If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you." (John 15:18, 19; see also 1 Peter 4:3, 4.)

The Bible shows that the whole world lies under Satan’s control; he is the principal instigator of the persecution.—1 John 5:19; Rev. 12:17.

Jesus also told his disciples: "You will be objects of hatred by all people on account of my name." (Mark 13:13)

The word "name" here means what Jesus officially is, the Messianic King. Persecution comes because Jehovah’s Witnesses put his commands ahead of those of any earthly ruler.

Back