Salvation not restricted to Christains

As someone with a vested interest in this discussion, please allow for my bias......:D

As a veteran of Discussion Forums I have mercifully survived many threads that revolve around such issues. They often crop up on Buddhist Boards, where the question is asked...............Can a Christian be "enlightened" Dogged defenders of the Faith step in with talk of the "one and only way" (based on a text in the Theravada Scriptures), the more philosophically minded speak of the "Eternalist View", held to be the view of Christians and therefore excluding them from the insight/wisdom needed for enlightenment. (This is normally where I step in, arguing for my Christian friends............:rolleyes: But hey, I'm not necessarily looking for reciprocation here, please feel free to tell it like it is,...at least, as it is for you)

And though I have never actually seen it, I would imagine the same form of discussion take place on Islamic Boards, centered in all probability on the words from the Koran....There is no joy in the life hereafter for those outside of Islam. (I suppose that we both, Christians and Buddhists, have a vested interest here!:eek: ) In all probability, the staunch would insist that the word "Islam" in the verse speaks of the actual historical Faith itself. Others, perhaps, seeking reconciliation, would ask just what the word "islam" means, and would answer that it means "submission(to God)". Therefore that any human being, of whatever faith, who submits to the divine can be "saved". And others still, seeking a deeper reconciliation still, would ask what the word "submission" truly involved, and perhaps would begin to speak of selflessness......................and begin to find community and communion with Buddhists, with the anatta (no-self) teachings. And so it goes on.........and on........and on.....................and on.........

I did speak of having a vested interest, so please allow for my bias. I did spot one little line that seemed to edge towards a Buddhist understanding......submitted by wil...

So as I see it, not only is salvation not restricted to Christians, but unless we accept that fact...it isn't offered to us

For me, there is certainly truth in this. In my own Pure Land tradition, the "going forth" is at once the "return". (Or, the "setting apart" is at once the identification with all) The one "thought moment" of enlightenment is a moment outside of time, that in fact embraces all time. What we have to be is what we are.

Anyway, to end with a quote from a letter written by the Catholic Trappist monk Thomas Merton, from his exchange with the Zen scholar D.T.Suzuki..........

For me it is clearly evident that you and I have in common and share most intimately prescisely that which, in the eyes of conventional Westerners, would seem to separate us. The fact that you are a Zen Buddhist and I am a Christian monk, far from separating us, makes us most like one another. How many centuries is it going to take for people to discover this fact?............

:)

Hi Tariki, and all –

Indeed, the issue is nowhere near quite as simple as the fundamentalist would have one believe.

And here is a thought for my Christian brothers:
The Catholic Tradition, and I believe Christianity generally, regards 'sin' as a moral fault ... if I knock your favourite vase from its shelf, because I am a clumsy klutz, then there is no moral fault, no sin attached to that; but if however, I do it out of spite, then there is ...

So what of those who have never heard Scripture?

If Christianity alone possesses the Word of God, then those who never heard the word cannot have sinned, because they cannot knowingly will what is bad, if they do not know what is good.

So whereas the Christian can and will be held accountable for his actions, the pagan is blameless in the sight of God.

And further, if one says, as human institutions do, that ignorance of the law is no excuse, then as no man knows the Mind of God absolutely, we are all damned.

+++

Thomas

But Thomas you still seem to be saying that for those folk who have "heard of" Jesus & his message yet don't embrace it/him but choose another spiritual path, they are "damned." If that is what you're implying-& many Christians do-that is not something I accept. Ironically I've just posted a link to a summary of near-death experiences on the "Is Christianity a Negative religion?" thread on comparative studies board that may have some application to this issue-like his summary that as many atheists were met with unconditional love as did Christians for instance.:D The gist of NDE research seems to be that the nature of the NDE experienced is shaped more by the nature of our minds/hearts than our specific religious beliefs. take care, earl

Kindest Regards all!

Sorry to pick on you Earl, but yours is a nice place to chime in.
...is shaped more by the nature of our minds/hearts than our specific religious beliefs.

Hence, why I keep coming back to the conclusion "it is not what we know, it is what we do with what we know."

;) :D

But Thomas you still seem to be saying that for those folk who have "heard of" Jesus & his message yet don't embrace it/him but choose another spiritual path, they are "damned."
This is one of those 'spirit and letter' occasions, I think.

God calls all men, and so I think the rejection is the rejection of the call, whether that call arises in the Abrahamic, Brahminic, Buddhist, Doaist Tradition ... I think the message states that if you hear the word and refute it, then you have made a choice, which God/Heaven will honour.

I know many Christians state otherwise; not all men are theologians, and too many are too fond of their own opinions.

The gist of NDE research seems to be that the nature of the NDE experienced is shaped more by the nature of our minds/hearts than our specific religious beliefs.
I've read the same as the most direct critique of NDE (as ever, these things are a two-edged sword). Skeptics used just that point to show that people see what they expect to see, and that such evidence would suggest that what they see is the product of their own minds.

Thomas

I think that God in His mercy would also understand the situation of those who heard the word yet were hurt or disillusioned to the point where they could no longer trust the Church, most likely due to the actions of Christ's broken and fallible followers.

Some days more than others, and today is one of them, I am moved literally to tears at the fragility and beauty of humans, and all of God's creation.

This is one of those 'spirit and letter' occasions, I think.

God calls all men, and so I think the rejection is the rejection of the call, whether that call arises in the Abrahamic, Brahminic, Buddhist, Doaist Tradition ... I think the message states that if you hear the word and refute it, then you have made a choice, which God/Heaven will honour.

I know many Christians state otherwise; not all men are theologians, and too many are too fond of their own opinions.

I've read the same as the most direct critique of NDE (as ever, these things are a two-edged sword). Skeptics used just that point to show that people see what they expect to see, and that such evidence would suggest that what they see is the product of their own minds.

Thomas
Actually Thomas as that summary re near-death experiences states to the contrary, interpretations of what is experienced will tend to vary according to religious beliefs, but the general form of what occurs is strikingly non-varying across belief systems, thus decreasing skepticism in my view. In fact it's this non-variance that is 1 of the reasons I maintain a theistic point of view. The only valid counter-argument in my view is that "near" death may be like saying "near" pregnant-does close enough count?;) Actually I'd think we'd want to celebrate that fact that the Divine truly is an unfathomable font of universal love and mercy. earl

Thomas
... and I would include in this, both the Christian `Heaven,'"and its correspondence, `Hell.' ;)

~~~~~~~~~~

So, too, those of any tradition ... and this does not necessarily imply that there is no objectivity, or that the afterlife - if it exists at all - is totally subjective!

Just the opposite, and there are ways to describe the hereafter which might appear totally secular to some, since they are as scientific as modern quantum physics ... using such terms as `frequency' of consciousness, density of matter, and `fields' of bio-electric energy, etc.

Nick can speak about a lot of this from a Theosophical frame of reference, while for those undaunted by Sanskrit terminology - there are teachings many thousands of years old which I think modern theosophy is simply borrowing.

Imho, I think what upsets many a Christian - especially if the presentation is somehow lacking - is the assertion by some Universalists that there is actually a level playing field, both in terms of the afterlife, and THIS ONE.

In a nutshell, this is actually my one and ONLY pet peeve with contemporary Christianity ... or at least, with the way I see people using their religion, to somehow get "one-up," or lord it over other people. Even Christian against Christian, and I think there's something said in there about "a body divided against itself," or "the warring members of one body."

Thomas, I think you came closest to commenting on this - or perhaps you commented directly, when you said:
God calls all men, and so I think the rejection is the rejection of the call, whether that call arises in the Abrahamic, Brahminic, Buddhist, Doaist Tradition ... I think the message states that if you hear the word and refute it, then you have made a choice, which God/Heaven will honour.​
As a reincarnationist, of course, I still say it's not an "all-or-nothing, one time only" acceptance/rejection, "choice" - since I think God knows our fallibility, our limitations, and is quite familiar with the fact that people waver, and must sometimes learn lessons "the hard way."

Suffering in an eternal hell, teaches no one anything ... and while some would argue that rebirth doesn't either - since we "forget" - I would have to disagree, because I think reincarnation doesn't actually involve a true, 100% "forgetting." I'd have to leave it to Nick to take that up though, if he dares.

My real point is the lack of the level playing field ... and I have yet to hear ANY Christian provide me with a reasonable "means of approach."

Err, okay, friendly discussion, actually, is the first step. Definitely. :)

How about, next, a willingness to raise one's esteem of other people, other religions, other followers of other paths, to the SAME `status,' or `level' as Christians? I am accused often, of having some kind of superiority complex, whether intentionally, or otherwise. As if I think "I have the only, true answers."

Someone please explain for me, then, how (many, most?) Christians do not, in fact, feel precisely this way about Christianity, or behave exactly this way regarding people of other faiths, and toward followers of other paths?

Again, I do not say ALL, not necessarily even most. Many here disprove this rule, and happily so! :)

I don't know how to say this any other way, so please speak up if I'm not being clear. I'd really like to understand how I've misunderstood Christianity, or Christians, if this is the case. If my theology is all wrong, then by all means, I'd like to see how I've misinterpreted! ;)

Thanks ... and cheers,

~andrew

Thomas said:
So what of those who have never heard Scripture?

If Christianity alone possesses the Word of God, then those who never heard the word cannot have sinned, because they cannot knowingly will what is bad, if they do not know what is good.

So whereas the Christian can and will be held accountable for his actions, the pagan is blameless in the sight of God.

And further, if one says, as human institutions do, that ignorance of the law is no excuse, then as no man knows the Mind of God absolutely, we are all damned.

I believe scriptures teach differently, even for those who have not heard.

When speaking of sin, it is invariably referenced to the Law, or more specifically, the breaking of the Law. So when we say that someone is not accountable, it is because he/she is unfamiliar with the Law. This is because we surmise that because they do not have possession of the scriptures or never have read it, then they are exempted from the teachings therein.

But God doesn't just reveal Himself solely from scripture. Paul taught in Romans the condition of the Gentiles, who were apart from the knowledge of the Mosiac Law:

"For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)." - Romans 2:14-15

So here we have the witness of conscience apart from the knowledge of the scriptures, which God imparts to every man. That doesn't mean that man cannot sear his conscience with a hot iron during the course of his rebellion to it, but the basics of right and wrong are already implanted. One who has never heard the gospel is still accountable to what his/her conscience has told them.

AndrewX said:
In a nutshell, this is actually my one and ONLY pet peeve with contemporary Christianity ... or at least, with the way I see people using their religion, to somehow get "one-up," or lord it over other people. Even Christian against Christian, and I think there's something said in there about "a body divided against itself," or "the warring members of one body."

There are those of us who have "gone around the block" so to speak, and found Christianity to be the faith that brings us the closest relationship to God. Not that other religions do not have any validity, but in exploring other avenues, I never got that same sense of intimacy with God as I've gotten with a relationship through Christ. If there is any "one-up" with me, it is in this sense.

A recurring theme in the book of Hebrews is the word "better":

"For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God." - Hebrews 7:19

"By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament." - Hebrews 7:22

"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." - Hebrews 8:6

"It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:" - Hebrews 9:23-24

"For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance." - Hebrews 10:34

"And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city." - Hebrews 11:15-16

"God having provided some better thing for us...." - Hebrews 11:40

"And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel." - Hebrews 12:24

Of course, that is just my subjective experience. If one is more comfortable in another faith, well, I pray that you get the same benefits (or better ;)) as I have in my own walk.

If you find something better, let me know.

Hi Dondi ... yes, I was throwing something out for some of my Christian brothers ... to be honest I am sometimes appalled and horrified at the attitude of some Christians to non-Christians. There are those of us who seem to extract some vicarious delight in the idea that someone is bound for perdition ... I know that Jesus wept, but I have no evidence that he ever danced on another man's grave.

Or put another way, I've never found shouting "You're all gonna die!" with a maniacal laugh very conducive to conversion. When Christ told his apostles where to fish, it was with nets, not explosives.

And triumphalism is never a pretty face.

There are large numbers of Christians out there who assume non Christians are condemned, because they are not Christian, not because the do not listen to the voice of conscience.

And the voice of one's conscience does not say 'become a Christian' it says 'be good' ... so a good Buddhist, a good Jew, good Moslem ...

A little more caritas and a little less crowing, and we might present a more acceptable proposition ... it seems to me that Christian fundamentalists resemble the Pharisees of Scripture, not the disciples.

Thomas

Could be that one is independent and the other has a flock mentality. Or it could be that goats have about 50 points less than sheep on the IQ level (seriously). They can breed, but most times the offspring are sterile (an exception to the rule is called a Chimera).

Goats and Sheep, same genus, different species. (like horse and donkey)

Thanks, Q!

... it seems to me that Christian fundamentalists resemble the Pharisees of Scripture, not the disciples.

Thomas

Ouch.

Since the thread is based upon the meaning of John 10, I gave my opinion that the "other sheep" will hear Jesus' (and by extension, G-d's) voice and so it doesn't matter if you call them "Christians" or "Jesus-hearers" or whatever.

What I was trying to convey was that anyone who hears G-d's voice and obeys is going to Heaven (at least that's what I believe).

I'm a fundamentalist. I believe in following the fundamentals of G-d's word and LOVE is found aplenty there as well.

Best regards,
Mark

Ouch.

Since the thread is based upon the meaning of John 10, I gave my opinion that the "other sheep" will hear Jesus' (and by extension, G-d's) voice and so it doesn't matter if you call them "Christians" or "Jesus-hearers" or whatever.

What I was trying to convey was that anyone who hears G-d's voice and obeys is going to Heaven (at least that's what I believe).

I'm a fundamentalist. I believe in following the fundamentals of G-d's word and LOVE is found aplenty there as well.

Best regards,
Mark

Thomas might be mixing fundamentalists with the likes of the "700 Club" (you know, Swaggart, Taggart, Baker, Schueler, Pasadena's Crystal Mega church).

If that is the case, then I agree with him on those types of people. If it's Billy Grahamn and his son, then I don't.

v/r

Joshua

A little more caritas and a little less crowing, and we might present a more acceptable proposition ... it seems to me that Christian fundamentalists resemble the Pharisees of Scripture, not the disciples.

Thomas

That is NOT true. Perhaps you're using too broad of a brush or concentrating on stupid stereotypes that were created not out of truth, but out of defense.

Thomas might be mixing fundamentalists with the likes of the "700 Club" (you know, Swaggart, Taggart, Baker, Schueler, Pasadena's Crystal Mega church).

v/r

Joshua

Perhaps so. And I agree generally with the rest of the sentiment.

At the least, it's a mirror to hold up to my face to make sure I'm not "leavened".

Last edited:
A lot of people who hold fundamental beliefs only have your best interest at heart.

2 Timothy 4:3-5

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

If that is the case, then I agree with him on those types of people. If it's Billy Grahamn and his son, then I don't.

v/r

Joshua
Not a single person on this list should be called a fundamentalist or anything besides a "wolf".

Re: Salvation not restricted to Christians

Thomas said:
Of course, that is just my subjective experience. If one is more comfortable in another faith, well, I pray that you get the same benefits (or better ;)) as I have in my own walk.

If you find something better, let me know.
Hi Dondi,

I think this says it all! Whatever one is most comfortable with ...

and -

We must walk the Path that WE THINK is the right one ...

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

I know that for me, this path is not contemporary Christianity (at least, not at the present moment). My beliefs will not change, in the sense of say - ever ceasing to believe in Reincarnation, or believing in Jesus of Nazareth in quite the way most Christians tend to.

But I cannot say, that my field of service won't include the Christian Church, in some form or fashion, ten or twenty, or maybe two or three, years from now. Since I believe in rebirth, I figure I might even be a Baptist Minister (if I manage to earn that honor) in my next go-round ... though I dunno how popular I'd be, as I fully expect to be a woman! :)

Anyway, as for one path being "better" than another, Dondi ..

... I can't say that what I've found is any better for a single other person besides myself. I can only attest to what I've experienced, and say that thus-and-such "works for me" - not just because it appeals, or even rings true, though these are both part of the bigger picture. There is yet more to it than that.

It just has to do with why we believe, what we believe, and for me, Sacred Scripture is something much, much greater than the Holy Book(s) of one tradition alone ... I think there are many, many dozens, even hundred, perhaps thousands of such Scriptures - many known, some as yet unknown, undiscovered, even lost forever (eclipsed with the ancient cultures that once maintained them).

From the Buddha's closing words to His disciples, we see this indication:
"We are to believe [a thing] when the writing, doctrine, or saying is corroborated by our own reason and consciousness."
And thus, while not a Gnostic in the formal sense (vide Wikipedia) ... I do feel myself a budding, aspiring gnostic, with a "small `g,'" and in a more generic sense (as in, a `theosophist,' again with a "small `t'").

It just comes down to "what works" ... :)

peace,

~andrew

Back