The significance of the life and death of Jesus?

Kinda depends on what you take as truth. For me, there are just too many errors in the NT to accept it as "Revealed Truth" and the words you put in Jesus' mouth are probably not what he said at all. If one defines truth as a book or as words or as a set of exclusive ideas (belonging to someone and not to another) one loses the way. The path is not the path that is named.

"Jesus' life is kind of a template for how to do good. Like Abraham in SG's post on another thread. Or Gandhiji's. Especially when one digs into the various interpretations (Johannine vs pre-Marcian vs Q vs Thomas vs Marcion vs Gnostic). Each layer of interpretation brings a different view to bear as to who Jesus was and how he lived and how he died. Obviously sola scriptura is not considered by me."

Jesus the man was a human being. Christ is the Logos. In the 2,000 or so years since he lived on earth his power as S!n and L!gos has transformed (for the better) many a life. It is the outer trappings of the Religions that (IMHO) unjustly use his name that are the problem... He is what He is, G!d-man as a singular and unique experience, eternally present.

"His death is an act of obedience to G!d as a servant of G!d which transforms (in a way beyond) plan-obedience into sacrifice-redemption enabling an indwelling of the Holy Spirit within the eternal body of Christ in the Perusia ongoing. A mystical thing -- an act of faith, like awaiting top the house for giant eagle to fly one home to Israel. The Chistology here is that he lives and breathes yet."

I am not speaking in terms of the "historical Jesus", and believe you are. He could have avoided the messy death he had. Like Gandhiji, he spread a light because of who he was, accepting the consequences. The Eastern and Oriental Johannine tradition is that the acceptance of death is an act of obeience.... making Jesus the suffering servant. Acts and Calvin (as much as I dislike his overall theology) also strongly suggest that there were many times Jesus could have avoided the Crucifixion.... but chose not to in obedience. In the historical Jesus line he could have (1) refused his calling (2) refused his baptism (3) not gone to Jerusalem (4) not allowed his Messanic claim (5) told Pontus he was no king. None of this he did.

"His resurrection is again metaphorical (like his death) and spiritual. It is the call to redemption to action within the Body of Christ by emulating him in surrender and obedience to G!d (returning to our original face and uniting with the Kosmos to redeem ourselves and G!d). Kinda a combination of Star of Redemption and Katzanzakis within a Process Theology outer garment."

Redemption is a process between Man and Creation. We redeem the world by acting in good faith, in loving-kindness, walk in the way. G!d created us and creation in order that the Divine Plan will play out. H! does not "know" what will happen, it is all incumbent on us. On us unting with Creation, with the Spark of G!d (S!phia or H!ly Spirit) in everything, and returning the Kosmos (all there is materially and mentally and spiritually) to H!m. But the action (the process, the becoming) is two-way. We are redeemed by G!d by heeding the revelation and G!d is redeemed (made whole?) by our bringing creation back to H!m. We are free to accept the burden (of evolving ourselves or not) and in accepting the burden (in obedience with G!d's plan) we free ourselves from self and matter.

I will have to take a break here.:eek:

Thanks for sharing, radarmark. I now have a better understanding of what you believe. I def think you are correct in saying that it is up to us to bring creation back to God, but I think he knows that it will one day be accomplished, whether in 100 years or 100,000 years.

Kinda depends on what you take as truth. For me, there are just too many errors in the NT to accept it as "Revealed Truth" and the words you put in Jesus' mouth are probably not what he said at all. If one defines truth as a book or as words or as a set of exclusive ideas (belonging to someone and not to another) one loses the way. The path is not the path that is named.

Jesus described the truth as the word of God in the BK of John.And there are other places in the OT that define it as such also.He also said as i do "I am the way the truth and the life."Since I have done and still do continue in His words and teachings, I know the truth as anyone who does the same will know.It's apparent that you do not do this,therefore you do not know the truth.He promised He would reveal himself as I do to those who keep His commandments.

The son of man says;

"If you continue in my words you are truly my disciple, then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

"Consecrate them by means of truth. Father your word is truth."

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father I too shall love him and reveal myself to him."

It is written in the prophets;

"I the Lord speak the truth, I say what is right."

Okay. I choose to accept the Copenhagen Interpretatiohn of quantum. That quantum uncertainty is real and basic to the universe. The only coherent alternative (to me) is the Everett many-worlds or multiverse interpretation.

In the Evewrett world all quantum events are realized, so with each quantum event the universe splits. For example, the nuclear bomb over Hiroshima would have to have created 10 to the 100 or so universes during the first shake or hundred (10-1000 nanoseonds). Well, since the universe is 14 billion years old and there are 10 to the 80th particles and each particle can undergo an event every Planck time (5 to the -44 sec) you end up with about a google of universes and a googleplex of events (across all universes). See Everett had to do this to incorporate quantum uncertainty into Einstein's Block Time Universe. No thanks!

By Ockham's razor I prefer the simpler solution. Quantum uncertainty is real and there is one universe which continues. However, time now becomes local and relative (to account for Einstein) and there is no way to know when and how a quantum event will occur. Therefore, I had to limit omnisience to omniscience of everything that has and is happening (oh, and a lot of what will happen--but not all). So there goes Calvinistic and (some) Islamic predestination (if G!d cannot know in advance H! cannot predetermine).

The alternative is "process theology". The universe consists of actual occasions (and only actual occasions) which are becoming (not static in time or space). G!d knows and is immanent in all but cannot control all (with something like predestination). G!d is also totally transcendent, flowing and filling the universe (another becoming, becoming part of each event). Notice this is explicitly panentheistic. It "fits" with quantum uncertainty, which "fits" with my conception of simplicity and beauty.

That in a nutshell is my arguement for G!d based on the Copenhagen Interpretation. I cannot reconcile any other meta-physics or theology with the quantum. But, it can be made open-ended enough to allow the kind of Wilber-Shuounian-Guenon-Fox interpretation of religion.

Fine, Princely, we differ in our opinion of what truth is. Duh! Jesus' words and teaching fill me and fill many I know. But not sola scriptura and nor by sola fide. If it were true, pi would equal 3 and all geometrical thought is wrong. G!d would not make a mistake like that.

Fine, Princely, we differ in our opinion of what truth is. Duh! Jesus' words and teaching fill me and fill many I know. But not sola scriptura and nor by sola fide. If it were true, pi would equal 3 and all geometrical thought is wrong. G!d would not make a mistake like that.

It is not only me you are in disagreement with but the words of the Lord. Furthermore, If you are filled with the words of the Lord then why don't you use them. After all the son of man says "speak the truth to one another and let honesty and peace be in the judgments at your gate. And "What I have done that is what you must do"."Let the man who has my words ,speak my words and speak the truth"."The man who wants to come to me will hear my words and put them into practice".

MY G!d can not lie and does not make mistakes. If you really believe in your "Word" as inerrant I would point out that your god either lies or makes mistakes. Not hard, how do you explain I Kings 7:23-26?

MY G!d can not lie and does not make mistakes. If you really believe in your "Word" as inerrant I would point out that your god either lies or makes mistakes. Not hard, how do you explain I Kings 7:23-26?

The word of the Lord is in the bible but not all of the bible is the word of the Lord.

Whoever belongs to God hears every word God speaks.

The Lords power will be known to His servants but to His enemies His wrath.

When a man fears the Lord, He will teach him the way he should choose. He will abide in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the land. The friendship of the Lord is with those who fear him, and he makes his covenant known to them.

My sheep hear my voice. I know them and they follow me.

Trust in the Lord, and do good; so you will live in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will make justice dawn for you like the light; bright as the noon day will be your vindication.

Did his death truly atone our sins, does his resurrection truly matter?

Yes. Absolutely. Not for what it tells us about us, but what it says about God.

How does whether Jesus resurrected or not impact the actual substance of his teachings?

i.e. can't an agnostic get as much from Jesus' teachings as one who truly believes in the empty tomb? Does a believer necessarily "love thy neighbor as thyself" any more than an agnostic?

How does whether Jesus resurrected or not impact the actual substance of his teachings?

i.e. can't an agnostic get as much from Jesus' teachings as one who truly believes in the empty tomb? Does a believer necessarily "love thy neighbor as thyself" any more than an agnostic?

People do not take into account what Jesus said along with that. Here is the whole saying. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

The Law and the prophets are the key. The son of man spreads the truth and the word of the Lord from the law and the prophets.If an agnostic can do this then yes, he will love his neighbor as himself.

Seek the Lord so you will live."

People do not take into account what Jesus said along with that. Here is the whole saying. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

The Law and the prophets are the key. The son of man spreads the truth and the word of the Lord from the law and the prophets.If an agnostic can do this then yes, he will love his neighbor as himself.

Seek the Lord so you will live."

All the laws of every faith rest on a single truth, that all is one. Whatsoever is going to bring a community together is for that truth and thus legal, whatsoever will cause the community to dispute among themselves is illegal. This is what the statements of love reference, love is the feeling of binding with another, thus you should love your neighbor as much as you love yourself, knowing both are one and that oneness is the Lord.

I do not limit this to the Abrahamic prophets though, this is what all the belief systems teach: all is one, do not go against that oneness. There are many faiths which go far deeper into the ramifications of oneness, yet Jesus says he has come to divide. For me, this puts Jesus below those such as Buddha and Lao Tzu. That one is the only true essence, the only true life, live in rhythm with it and you will not suffer. All suffering comes from going against this primal truth...

I do not limit this to the Abrahamic prophets though, this is what all the belief systems teach: all is one, do not go against that oneness. There are many faiths which go far deeper into the ramifications of oneness, yet Jesus says he has come to divide. For me, this puts Jesus below those such as Buddha and Lao Tzu. That one is the only true essence, the only true life, live in rhythm with it and you will not suffer. All suffering comes from going against this primal truth...

Interesting.

So, do you think that Buddha and Lao Tzu, or perhaps more correctly the followers of Buddha and Lao Tzu, have not "divided" themselves from "others?"

I would suggest, as would history, that indeed they have divided themselves from others...even to the point of violence at times. In that regard they are no different from Christians or any other of the major world faiths, perhaps only in matter of degree.

While I read in this thread of all the lovey-dovey kumbayah stuff, the underlying theme of *all* religion throughout history has been the distinction of "us" *from* "them." And always, whether actively or passively, the goal is the conversion of "them" to "us," through so-called "love." The only possible exception I can think of is Judaism, and I suspect that is in large part on account of their cultural masochism from being "out of (political) power" for so long they have lost track of what it is like to hold the reigns.

Funny how differently religions (better stated, the followers of a religion) behave whether they are the presiding governmental authority, or a minority player struggling to maintain a presence.

Jesus was the product of his time and place, and the victim (carefully chosen word) of the Roman propaganda machine post-humously. Jesus was the "son of G-d" just as we all are sons and daughters of G-d, but more importantly during his lifetime, just as the Roman Emperor was the Son of G-d which is (in part) what got him executed.

How much of the Gospel story is "truth" in the sense of "reality," is impossible now to know. How many of the miraculous deeds attributed to him are genuine, or how many may be layered "pagan" Roman attributes? We really have no way of knowing with what is "allowed" a typical lay person.

So we have a quandary...how human Jesus really was, and how that impacts on his teachings.

Some would say that if Jesus were not Divine in the sense of G-d as man, that Christianity would crumble. I say no, not so.

If Jesus were no more than a man, he was a great man in his own right, of a calibur equalling or surpassing a Gandhi or MLKing, jr., John Calvin or John Huss.

Of course, that still leaves the question of the miraculous. But then, humanity has been chasing the miraculous for tens of thousands of years, if the cave paintings of Chauvet, Cosquer and Lasceaux (and many others) are to be considered. And we still can't put our finger on it all.

Interesting.

So, do you think that Buddha and Lao Tzu, or perhaps more correctly the followers of Buddha and Lao Tzu, have not "divided" themselves from "others?"

I would suggest, as would history, that indeed they have divided themselves from others...even to the point of violence at times. In that regard they are no different from Christians or any other of the major world faiths, perhaps only in matter of degree.

While I read in this thread of all the lovey-dovey kumbayah stuff, the underlying theme of *all* religion throughout history has been the distinction of "us" *from* "them." And always, whether actively or passively, the goal is the conversion of "them" to "us," through so-called "love." The only possible exception I can think of is Judaism, and I suspect that is in large part on account of their cultural masochism from being "out of (political) power" for so long they have lost track of what it is like to hold the reigns.

Funny how differently religions (better stated, the followers of a religion) behave whether they are the presiding governmental authority, or a minority player struggling to maintain a presence.

Jesus was the product of his time and place, and the victim (carefully chosen word) of the Roman propaganda machine post-humously. Jesus was the "son of G-d" just as we all are sons and daughters of G-d, but more importantly during his lifetime, just as the Roman Emperor was the Son of G-d which is (in part) what got him executed.

How much of the Gospel story is "truth" in the sense of "reality," is impossible now to know. How many of the miraculous deeds attributed to him are genuine, or how many may be layered "pagan" Roman attributes? We really have no way of knowing with what is "allowed" a typical lay person.

So we have a quandary...how human Jesus really was, and how that impacts on his teachings.

Some would say that if Jesus were not Divine in the sense of G-d as man, that Christianity would crumble. I say no, not so.

If Jesus were no more than a man, he was a great man in his own right, of a calibur equalling or surpassing a Gandhi or MLKing, jr., John Calvin or John Huss.

Of course, that still leaves the question of the miraculous. But then, humanity has been chasing the miraculous for tens of thousands of years, if the cave paintings of Chauvet, Cosquer and Lasceaux (and many others) are to be considered. And we still can't put our finger on it all.

I enjoyed your post, juantoo. I might suggest that not all those who profess love are out to convert (as you suggested). You are painting with a broad brush, and I find it curious that you would lump the whole bunch in the same basket. It isn't about us and them for many, but about living in harmony despite our differences. Love is simply one way to accomplish this goal.

I don't care if another chooses love or not, but I sometimes take issue with those who contribute to our division, causing unnecessary conflict in our world. I believe what I believe and you can believe what you believe too. I think the world is big enough (and God too) to handle a little diversity. I think the world would be quite a bit duller if we all thought the same way. Wouldn't you agree?

I myself think agnostics have the upper hand. They have not conceded to one side or the other, thus their options remain open, whereas many have shut out other possibilities. A believer (like myself) is convinced that God exists, whereas an atheist is convinced that God does not exist. Even so, our convictions do not prohibit us from deriving beneficial lessons from Jesus' teachings, or anyone else's teachings for that matter. I think most of us are inspired to search for truth and understanding; we simply search for it in different ways.

All the laws of every faith rest on a single truth, that all is one. Whatsoever is going to bring a community together is for that truth and thus legal, whatsoever will cause the community to dispute among themselves is illegal. This is what the statements of love reference, love is the feeling of binding with another, thus you should love your neighbor as much as you love yourself, knowing both are one and that oneness is the Lord.

What love is to God is not the same as what love is to man. You fail to understand the word of the Lord because you are not His/my sheep. Hence the saying;" My sheep hear my voice".To love your neighbor as yourself you must love the way the son of man describes his love.

Live on in my love. You will live in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Fathers commandments and live in His love.

The Lord who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.
And since I know that his commandment means eternal life, what I say is spoken just as he instructed me.

As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.
This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

The son of man comes eating and drinking but people think he is madd or a drunkard. I judge as I hear and my judgment is just because I am not seeking my own will but the will of the One who sent me.

What love is to God is not the same as what love is to man. You fail to understand the word of the Lord because you are not His/my sheep. Hence the saying;" My sheep hear my voice".To love your neighbor as yourself you must love the way the son of man describes his love.

Live on in my love. You will live in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Fathers commandments and live in His love.

The Lord who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.
And since I know that his commandment means eternal life, what I say is spoken just as he instructed me.

As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.
This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

The son of man comes eating and drinking but people think he is madd or a drunkard. I judge as I hear and my judgment is just because I am not seeking my own will but the will of the One who sent me.

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another as I have loved you."

"Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

"Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."

Love isn't limited to those who believe in God, but rather love is available to all men should they so choose it. I know many atheists who have risked their lives to save the lives of their friends and even complete strangers. Love is love is love is love; there is no difference between God's love and the love we know as human beings. In other words, just because you believe a certain way doesn't make you special. God is not a respecter of persons after all, thus God (who is love) makes himself available to both the believer and unbeliever.

I enjoyed your post, juantoo. I might suggest that not all those who profess love are out to convert (as you suggested). You are painting with a broad brush, and I find it curious that you would lump the whole bunch in the same basket. It isn't about us and them for many, but about living in harmony despite our differences. Love is simply one way to accomplish this goal.

I don't care if another chooses love or not, but I sometimes take issue with those who contribute to our division, causing unnecessary conflict in our world. I believe what I believe and you can believe what you believe too. I think the world is big enough (and God too) to handle a little diversity. I think the world would be quite a bit duller if we all thought the same way. Wouldn't you agree?

The "broad brush" I "paint" with is human psychology in combination with applied anthropology and history. What I find curious is the lip service to all-inclusiveness while at the same time bristling at the thought of such. You want to be in the same basket, yet when finding yourself in it, it is uncomfortable...why might that be, do you suppose?

Living in harmony never has been the contention...for those in the "in crowd." Contention is ever from those outside of the "in crowd." That's my historical point. I don't cause, nor even advocate, division. I simply call it as I see it.

And while I do agree, G-d is big enough to handle a little diversity...the simple fact remains that few if any human societies ever have been able to. Noble aspiration, too often fraught with the pitfalls of being human...especially when "our" G-d has an uncanny resemblence to "us" and not "them."

Stated another way....there's nothing new under the sun.

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another as I have loved you."

"Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

"Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."

Love isn't limited to those who believe in God, but rather love is available to all men should they so choose it. I know many atheists who have risked their lives to save the lives of their friends and even complete strangers. Love is love is love is love; there is no difference between God's love and the love we know as human beings. In other words, just because you believe a certain way doesn't make you special. God is not a respecter of persons after all, thus God (who is love) makes himself available to both the believer and unbeliever.

Scripture says; Love is what I want not sacrifice, knowledge of God not holocaust.

Laying down your life for your friends is not speaking of laying down your life for man so much as it is for God. That is why He said "you are my friends if you do what I command you." He said as I do live on in my Love.

You are mistaken because you fail to understand scripture and the power of God.

Scripture has it;

"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it".

"My words are life to those who find them, to mans whole being they are health."

"The heavens and the earth will pass away but my words will never pass."

The word of God is Life that lasts forever. Eternal life. It is the cross the son of man carry's.

Anyone who is not willing to pick up there cross and follow after me is not worthy of me.

On the contrary, every belief system creates a certain fanaticism in those who do not know but still try to convince themselves. This is the very nature of fanaticism, you are going overboard as if to convince yourself as much as the current target. That said, in the East, it is actually rare that someone is only part of a single faith. They sort of mix and match the various teachers despite utterly different systems... I think they need to incorporate more, but I think the Abrahamic followers can already learn much from them.

You will be surprised, it is those faiths that worship a particular God who are violent, without a God the tradition tends to be far more peaceful. Perhaps people who believe in a God are attempting to please him by killing other men?

It is an interesting phenomenon, no? It is because we wish to show our love for our preferred deity, but hate takes much less energy. We defend our choice over everyone elses, and think badly of all that do not think like ourselves because it allows us to think we are showing our love for our particular community.

In truth, all is one, thus "conversion" is a stupid word. Certainly, spread your love for a particular awakened one, share the strengths this one has, but accept that all the awakened ones are pointing at the same thing. It is ego which tells them to convince everyone their choice is correct, but they have not arrived at anything meaningful in their choice at all.

I am starting to feel you believe me a Christian? Identifying with any belief system merely caters to your ego, this all must be dropped.

We are not Son's of God at all, this is a false duality, the most important things Jesus has said is "I and my father are one" and "... now you are part of the body of Christ" - in this merging of man with divinity, each of us are one. This is what all faiths teach, and it is the only true religion - howsoever you arrive at the gates is irrelevant, to walk through is salvation.

I do not see how the miracles are even relevant at all today, they are something which instill a love in us for the man, they justify that love through the awe we are supposed to feel for the deeds, but in and of themselves they are irrelevant.

There are two ways to divinity, either give yourself utterly to the other, or go inwardly and see you are nothingness. Jesus teaches the former, Buddha teaches the latter - but if you look, they are really exactly the same: you are emptiness, only existence is. In this realization, there is a metamorphosis, this is the true rebirth and resurrection.

Why do you feel this is even relevant? Look at what Jesus points to, do not get hung up with the finger that is pointing.

All of existence is a miracle, that it even is, that is the real mystery. Enjoy and celebrate that you have been given this opportunity, it needn't have been so. This is to live religiously, simply remain prayerful, grateful. God is the personification or objectification of that awesomeness, but to try to conceive of it is irrelevant, live it.

The "broad brush" I "paint" with is human psychology in combination with applied anthropology and history. What I find curious is the lip service to all-inclusiveness while at the same time bristling at the thought of such. You want to be in the same basket, yet when finding yourself in it, it is uncomfortable...why might that be, do you suppose?

I think humanity is slowly moving towards a more inclusive mindset, just as I think there is a basket in which we all need to belong. In order to survive and live in harmony, co-existing peacefully with one another, it is necessary to at least live in a pro-social manner. Whether we keep to ourselves, whether we lean on love, or whether we simply tolerate others grudgingly, pro social behavior is a necessity in order to maintain a working and civil society.

History and human psychology is ever evolving. The goal to live in harmony may not be shared by all people, but for sake of creating a more civilized society, we adopt rules and laws in order to help decrease anti social behavior. The point I'm attempting to make is there are some who profess love, seek peace and harmony, yet who do not require others to follow suit. Our social structure, our laws, and our governments will take care of the riff raff for us. We do not need to convert others to our way of thinking to accomplish the goal at hand.

Living in harmony never has been the contention...for those in the "in crowd." Contention is ever from those outside of the "in crowd." That's my historical point. I don't cause, nor even advocate, division. I simply call it as I see it.

Human history has a way of revealing our shortcomings, eh?

And while I do agree, G-d is big enough to handle a little diversity...the simple fact remains that few if any human societies ever have been able to. Noble aspiration, too often fraught with the pitfalls of being human...especially when "our" G-d has an uncanny resemblence to "us" and not "them."

That fact is slowly changing I think. We are evolving as a people, but in order to continue, I think we will need to experience a few hard lessons learned. History does not need to repeat itself, however, nor is humanity destined to remain contentious and intolerant towards those who think, believe, and act differently. I think the tide is changing, many are experiences a paradigm shift, and I for one think this is a good thing.

Back