Do you call yourself a Christian?

... If Jesus isn't the one and only avenue to salvation, what's the point? ...
Namaste China,

I don't understand the question.

You want to go from LA to NY, you have plenty of choices...You can take the freeways, or the highways, or the side streets or go via Mexico City and Anchorage and New Orleans....always your choice.

Are you saying since there is a choice we shouldn't have a freeway?

We could communicate with notes in a bottle, smoke signals or drums...why use the internet...what's the point?

PS Any of the choices could be The Christ, oh and 'The Christ' may have different names in other thoughts, but you already know that, hence my confusion in your question.

Namaste China,

I don't understand the question.

You want to go from LA to NY, you have plenty of choices...You can take the freeways, or the highways, or the side streets or go via Mexico City and Anchorage and New Orleans....always your choice.

Are you saying since there is a choice we shouldn't have a freeway?

We could communicate with notes in a bottle, smoke signals or drums...why use the internet...what's the point?

PS Any of the choices could be The Christ, oh and 'The Christ' may have different names in other thoughts, but you already know that, hence my confusion in your question.

Oh, well that was phrased specifically for Juan. Let me expand: If Jesus isn't the one and only avenue to salvation, what's the point in participating in organized Christianity? And from the point of view of organized Christianity, what's the point in calling myself a Christian, regardless of any technical definition?

I'm a devotee of the Logos Christ; the Universal Cosmic Christ. Jesus was a good dude and I like his philosophy, but I see him as a mythological character playing a role which is meant to portray some of the characteristics of the Christ. The culturally specific parts like the messiah stuff are interesting, but I see them as impressionist art, not technical drawings (sorta). I can understand how that would sound like it makes the Gospel Jesus meaningless, but to me it makes it ever so much more meaningful becaue now it's not just a story confined to a specific culture and time, but an expression of a universal archetype which transcends time.

Chris

Oh, well that was phrased specifically for Juan. Let me expand: If Jesus isn't the one and only avenue to salvation, what's the point in participating in organized Christianity? And from the point of view of organized Christianity, what's the point in calling myself a Christian, regardless of any technical definition?

I'm a devotee of the Logos Christ; the Universal Cosmic Christ. Jesus was a good dude and I like his philosophy, but I see him as a mythological character playing a role which is meant to portray some of the characteristics of the Christ. The culturally specific parts like the messiah stuff are interesting, but I see them as impressionist art, not technical drawings (sorta). I can understand how that would sound like it makes the Gospel Jesus meaningless, but to me it makes it ever so much more meaningful becaue now it's not just a story confined to a specific culture and time, but an expression of a universal archetype which transcends time.

Chris
Again seems to me you answered your own question. I call myself a Christian because this is the freeway I travel. Yes I dance with the Sufi's, just got home from the Synagogue, but I get my understanding from understanding Christ.

Tonight when the Rabbi spoke of Joseph and carrying the stone that held the light, the original light from "let there be light" and how Joseph used the light to take himself to a palace when he was thrown in the pit, used it to identify the dreams, and how when his coffin arose from the nile Moses saw the light and obtained the stone...this tells me I need to learn more from the Torah, Talmud, Midrash and Zohar. Do I not think the Christ was in all of them, and in the authors of those stories about the stories that are in my books?

I chant with the Hindus and know that Jesus is a guru to them, that they see him as an incarnation of Krishna, that they know he traveled to India and they have his grave...I enjoy the stories of Krishna and Shiva and the rest and can learn from them...and Christ is my Guru too...but I still call myself a Christian...as that is my avenue...while I totally respect all the other roads and paths...

Kindest Regards, China Cat!
If Jesus isn't the one and only avenue to salvation, what's the point?
Oh, now China Cat, you've read enough of my posts to know that is not what I meant. However, as each different religion has it's selling points, those things that distinguish it from the others, Jesus as Messiah does that for Christianity. What would Buddhism be without Guatama? What would Judaism be without Moses?

Why don't we take away all of these "avatars" and make a hodge-podge mishmash like Taijasi advocated?

What is left to convince anyone that G-d exists, outside of personal experience?

I can't find enough evidence to believe, but I do find enough that I can't entirely dismiss. And I can't just decide to believe, but I also can't just decide to join the happy atheists because that's a leap of faith as well.
Indeed, I agree. Yet, I have those nagging personal experiences that tell me "something is out there."

Well, I accept the essential tension of life, but it gives me no solace. I guess that's just the way it is.
If ever I find myself ready to surrender Christianity, I will likely gravitate to the origins of religion, the pure and humble basis of every one of them...shamanism.

Otherwise, I do believe G-d has provided various paths for various peoples. Who is it mentioned "Christian by culture?" Why not also "Buddhist by culture, Muslim by culture, Hindu by culture, Pagan by culture?" I have no problem understanding these as valid paths for each as each is given. Not something laid out on a table to pick and choose from, but that each performs a function of detailing spirit in some manner or mythos that validates and solidifies the spiritual into a tangible asset for its adherents.

My point in this discussion, and others like it, is that Christianity is nothing special without a Divine Messiah, there is nothing to distinguish it or set it apart from other religions. At no time since I have participated on this forum have I been seen to disparage any specific, legitimate path, although it is easy enough to see where I do take casual shots at "smorgasbord" and "melting pot" pseudo-religions. Another story for another day.

That said, I am not G-d, I am not the Creator, I did not make any person, I did not birth any person into any specific culture, and I most especially do not sit in judgement of any other person. It is a fearsome thing to fall into the hands of the Living G-d! That's one officer I don't want to get caught impersonating!

BTW, I think my computer locked up on me. I'm writing from work, which is a no-no (shame on me). So if you don't see me around for a little while, at least you know why. Oh yeah, Sorry if it seems I ignored you, Earl. I promise, it was not intentional. Thanks for your contributons too! :D

Practice shamanism, huh Juan? Well, I've recently begun studying and practicing approaches of a shamanic nature myself-in addition to my other stuff. Never been an either-or kind of guy. Funny thing is that so far it's Christian images that spontaneously come to mind as I did it. Guess that means I'm practicing "Christian" shamanism.:D Have a happy New Year all. earl

Kindest Regards, Earl!
Practice shamanism, huh Juan? Well, I've recently begun studying and practicing approaches of a shamanic nature myself-in addition to my other stuff. Never been an either-or kind of guy. Funny thing is that so far it's Christian images that spontaneously come to mind as I did it. Guess that means I'm practicing "Christian" shamanism.:D Have a happy New Year all. earl
As it turns out, for the moment anyway, I was able to "unlock" my computer. I think the hard drive is dying....

Anyway, I hope you know I love you, as a brother. You have provided some interesting insights in the past. Whether I agree with your methods is not relevant, if it works for you not at the expense of others; more power to ya! There have been others who for the moment shall remain nameless, whose desires were to impose their vision on others, and that vision was pretty much the neutering of anything of value in any particular path. I feel apologetic, yet I am not sorry for opposing such a distortion of the intent behind the various paths.

I sense you have taken a little time to see the larger picture through some of the different faiths...seen the good and the bad, so to speak. A legitimate path (as I referred to) deals with elements that are hard to look at just as well as those elements that are easy to look at. It has been my (unfortunate?) experience that there are those who pick and choose those elements that are more pleasant at the expense of the more distasteful elements. The problem is that there is balance required...the "distasteful elements" are as crucial to the overall picture as the more pleasing elements. Those that dismiss (casually in my experience) the distasteful elements miss half of the reality that is spirit. I'm sorry, but reality is not 100% lovey dovey rainbows and roses; there is a dark side, a shadow element that must be accounted for. Legitimate religion does that. Smorgasbord religion does not, to its detriment in my opinion.

To look at other religions for the sake of understanding is one thing...to pick and choose is quite another. And the ultimate insult, in my opinion, is to denature and neuter all views into some "common" denominator in the propaganda and presumption that the commonality is sufficient to connect to the IS. Frankly, I fail to see how.

There have been others who for the moment shall remain nameless, whose desires were to impose their vision on others, and that vision was pretty much the neutering of anything of value in any particular path.
Yikes! That sounds like Communism, or Marxism. :(

I sense you have taken a little time to see the larger picture through some of the different faiths...seen the good and the bad, so to speak. A legitimate path (as I referred to) deals with elements that are hard to look at just as well as those elements that are easy to look at. It has been my (unfortunate?) experience that there are those who pick and choose those elements that are more pleasant at the expense of the more distasteful elements. The problem is that there is balance required...the "distasteful elements" are as crucial to the overall picture as the more pleasing elements. Those that dismiss (casually in my experience) the distasteful elements miss half of the reality that is spirit. I'm sorry, but reality is not 100% lovey dovey rainbows and roses; there is a dark side, a shadow element that must be accounted for. Legitimate religion does that. Smorgasbord religion does not, to its detriment in my opinion.
But who defines "legitimate?" Doesn't this leave the door wide open for interpretation?

To look at other religions for the sake of understanding is one thing...to pick and choose is quite another. And the ultimate insult, in my opinion, is to denature and neuter all views into some "common" denominator in the propaganda and presumption that the commonality is sufficient to connect to the IS. Frankly, I fail to see how.
And what if, in looking, we find that there are parallels? What if, juantoo3, we find that there are such similarities in fact, that an underlying Truth begins to reveal itself?

Why look at other religions for the "sake of understanding," if we have already decided, concluded, or otherwise assumed from the beginning that OUR view is "the correct one?" What's the point?

Mind you I do not advocate the abandoning of one's own faith, one's own belief, or the tenets of one's own chosen path, simply because this stuff over here "smells rosier," as you seem to put it. But if a garden is filled with beautiful flowers, why is it that some people insist that only PEONIES are worth admiring? Or that in fact, it is the BEGONIAS which God favors? I find that notion patently absurd, and rather difficult to swallow as a thinking individual. Surely God created all flowers to be admired, some with a fragrant scent to be appreciated, and others with a beauty that surpasses their fragrance. Even a rose comes in many natural - as well as altered - varieties!

To say that the value of any one variety of flower in God's Most Beautiful Garden has been "reduced" to a common denominator, and "neutered," simply because our aesthetic, or olfactory senses have been expanded ... isn't this the more offensive notion? To some of us, I assure you, it is. And yes, it takes manure to grow *each* variety of flower, but manure is manure. This crap over here under these flowers - is probably no better than that crap over there under those. ;)

Nevertheless, for those who prefer to keep to one corner and shower their attention upon the daisies, and their particular brand of fertilizer ... ah well, I guess as long as you don't eat them, no harm done. Just don't despise the gardeners who must see to it that all the flowers receive attention, nor speak ill of the man who has chosen to "consider the lillies." :eek: (Or of him who know the wisdom of the rain dance! :) )

It seems the only problem with Universalism that I can find, after hearing the objections presented by its detractors of various faiths, is that the detractors don't get any special treatment or allowances made for THEIR version of God/Reality/etc. If a person says, "I can see, feel, sense, touch, experience, embrace, honor and appreciate - even WORSHIP - the Goodness, Truth and Beauty which I find manifest in YOUR tradition, as in all other traditions I have encountered" ... this just isn't good enough. We insist, rather, that this person forsake what s/he has already experienced and found to be True (Beautiful and Good), and return to a smaller notion thereof, or one which s/he has already happily retired as no longer suitable for the job! Nor is it that the smaller notion is any less valid, only that the Greater always includes the lesser.

As for "smorgasbord religion," I fail to see how one could take at all seriously the idea that anyone of even moderate intellect would simply open a textbook on world religions and go through the descriptions the way we go through a cafeteria line, picking and choosing. Or are we focusing here on the mentally deficient? As children we may have looked at the Sears catalog and checked off the several dozen toys we wanted Santa Claus to bring, but now that we have (hopefully) put away the things of childhood, surely we are ready to accept that Santa Claus was in fact, a fantasy!

What I see, is the straw-manning of the entire GOOD NAME of comparative religion and religious Universalism, reduced to this absurd notion of smorgasbord or "cafeteria line" religion ... as if anyone actually approached Ecumenism in this way to begin with! One can point out, in quite a scholarly manner, that similarities exist across all major religions, yet then one is accused of being too detached, or intellectual, about something which is "of the heart" or spirit. Approach this more experientially, and critics will accuse us of being "too subjective," having bias, and failing to see the big picture. No matter how you slice it, there are just folks who have already decided that God is not a Universalist, and *nothing* you can say will convince them otherwise. N'est pas?

Yet they somehow fail to see the absurdity of this statement, even at face value! God plays favorites, and "we are it!" :p

Someone please clear up this notion of pick and choose religion before I make a complete fool of myself. I am sure I must have misunderstood your meaning, juantoo3. You do believe in comparative religion, do you not? And if you answer in the affirmative, then tell me, IS it simply a scholarly, perhaps professional, yet largely intellectual excercise, or can/might it not be "of the heart," even "of the (One, True) Spirit?" - assuming you believe in such a thing

Can there be a difference? Or is the Universalist doomed to failure from the very outset, since it is S/HE who has begun with the mistaken premise, rather than ourselves? ;)

Zag

Kindest Regards, Earl!

As it turns out, for the moment anyway, I was able to "unlock" my computer. I think the hard drive is dying....

Anyway, I hope you know I love you, as a brother. You have provided some interesting insights in the past. Whether I agree with your methods is not relevant, if it works for you not at the expense of others; more power to ya! There have been others who for the moment shall remain nameless, whose desires were to impose their vision on others, and that vision was pretty much the neutering of anything of value in any particular path. I feel apologetic, yet I am not sorry for opposing such a distortion of the intent behind the various paths.

To look at other religions for the sake of understanding is one thing...to pick and choose is quite another. And the ultimate insult, in my opinion, is to denature and neuter all views into some "common" denominator in the propaganda and presumption that the commonality is sufficient to connect to the IS. Frankly, I fail to see how.[/quote]

Brother Juan,

I couldn't agree more. What bothers me personally, and perhaps a few others is that there are aspects of Christianity that I just cannot believe. You will have to trust me when I tell you this has caused me great pain over the years. I agonize over not being able to believe or understand the Idea of Christ as sacrifice, and the idea that God is cruel and capricious enough to wish eternal suffering of unimaginable horrors for those who do not understand.
Certainly, there are those who with impudence and narcissistic pleasure trod upon the morals and ideas of the church, but this is something different I should think.
Soon I will turn 47 years old and for most of those years I have strained to understand these two most important tenets of Christianity.
I am open to being wrong, and harbor no contrary opinions that I wouldn't give up in a heartbeat if they were to be proven ( and I accept inner guidance here) wrong. I have read and studied the Bible for most of my adult life, have prayed deeply and ernestly for God to help me in my unbelief.
I admit to not fully understanding the hypostatic union, and I believe that through the Christ we can be liberated from the slavery of our conditioned minds and egos. I believe that through unconditional surrender and love of God I can approach a state where wrong doing will be most unlikely, though as for that I have a very long journey ahead.
In short, I think very many people have a deep longing to connect with God but are shunned because of the things that they cannot believe. But if there was a switch to flip that would end the cognitive dissonance I feel and the disingenuous statements of belief we would have to make would most certainly mean a spiritual death.
Perhaps in the Mercy of Christ there is room for those such as we.

Peace
Mark

I appreciated your kind words about me, Juan. I suppose I could have simply answered the question as posed in the title of this thread, but I actually cannot without knowing the definitions-and that's what makes this topic intriguing-it is in the liberal subforum & we liberals tend to be liberal with our definitions.:) Obviously, for me, I see no innate contradictions in mixing practices from various traditions, though would agree that as guidance to make it all hang together we need 2 things: to be attentive to our own intuitive understandings, promptings of the "still small voice within" in order to be true to ourselves and (perhaps though not so sure it's important), a view of what we're trying to accomplish-i.e. I guess you'd call it sort of a personal "theology". Afterall, we also need some glimmerings of the "why" we're doing something.

Speaking of Andrew, wonder where he's gone. In terms of my personal theology, there's much in Theosophy I cold agree with. I just didn't like how many "facts" they made up:D.

Juan, you might appreciate this article from "liberal" Benedicitne monk, David Steindel-Rast, that touches on some of the issues you raised as well as the issue of being "true to one's self." In fact, he's such a wonderful thinker, I recommend perusing a number of his articles at this site.

Faith and the Path, a talk by Brother David Steindl-Rast

Have a good one, earl

Kindest Regards, Earl!
I suppose I could have simply answered the question as posed in the title of this thread, but I actually cannot without knowing the definitions-and that's what makes this topic intriguing-it is in the liberal subforum & we liberals tend to be liberal with our definitions.:)

Funny thing about definitions...sometimes they get made up along the way. You have a valid point, outside of the set bounds of a denominational demand, there is a rather broad swath it seems of those with Christian, or at least semi-Christian, views and interpretations. But I have heard many here, liberal and orthodox, reach the conclusion that Jesus is the central figure. At this point it also seems reasonable to say there is conflict, and I would say that boundary is approximately the line between orthodox and liberal, over whether or not Jesus is a manifestation of G-d (either he is G-d personified or somehow an extension of G-d), or whether he was simply an exceptional teacher.

...to make it all hang together we need 2 things: to be attentive to our own intuitive understandings, promptings of the "still small voice within" in order to be true to ourselves and (perhaps though not so sure it's important), a view of what we're trying to accomplish-i.e. I guess you'd call it sort of a personal "theology". Afterall, we also need some glimmerings of the "why" we're doing something.
OK, we are essentially in agreement, this is pretty much what I have been alluding to in speaking of Spirit guiding me. I have my gut instinct, I can tell when something doesn't add up, I can sense when something just doesn't seem correct. All in relation to myself of course, with acceptance that what is right (in the details) for me may not be for the next person. What is universally right for all of us is the basic lessons surrounding the Golden Rule.

Speaking of Andrew, wonder where he's gone.
I wonder about Andrew as well, and I hope he is well. I suspect he grew tired of sparring with me.

Juan, you might appreciate this article from "liberal" Benedicitne monk, David Steindel-Rast, that touches on some of the issues you raised as well as the issue of being "true to one's self."
I read the article, it was good if a bit simplistic. And that's OK. Thanks.

*PS: I find it a bit humorous, a bit of an inside joke as it were...in the past I have been accused of (or applauded for, take your choice) having the mind of a Jesuit... :D To this day I'm not fully certain how to take that...

Kindest Regards, Paladin!

What bothers me personally, and perhaps a few others is that there are aspects of Christianity that I just cannot believe. You will have to trust me when I tell you this has caused me great pain over the years.

My dearest Brother in Christ,
It pains me deeply that the institution of Christianity has caused a great deal of pain through the years for a great many people. It is imperitive to us as independent seekers to know and understand that the institutions are people. The institutions are made up of fallible humans, full of every frailty and compromise that humans are capable of, and in turn that manifests and reflects back out, sadly, as tradition. The strength of Christianity, and here I will likely draw fire, is in the teaching...not the institutions. The strength is in the individual, not the church building or assembly.

Yes, it is good and well to associate with likeminded people, congregations are a source of strength for those who desperately need it. But once one is through with pablum, it is time to be weaned into the meat of the Word, and so very few churches every get around to teaching the meat of the Word (despite the rhetoric otherwise!). One almost has to discover the meat of the Word on their own, churches seem afraid to let that cat out of the bag! (OOOOPS, mixed metaphors, nothing Freudian between "meat" and "cat").

And I also must temper this observation, first with the disclaimer that I have not deeply looked at other faiths, but that I have perused a few of them. What I have observed is that people are people everywhere, and institutions are institutions everywhere. Christianity is in no sense unique in this regard. All of the faults and frailties exhibited in Christianity seem to be equally on display, if one bothers to take a look, in every other major faith.

I agonize over not being able to believe or understand the Idea of Christ as sacrifice, and the idea that God is cruel and capricious enough to wish eternal suffering of unimaginable horrors for those who do not understand.

I see two distinct points; one I have an answer that satisfies me, the other I do not. On your second point, referring I believe to an eternal hell of torment. There are those that do see things as you mention, and I am certain they would argue with me long and hard. But after a study into the grammar and Concordance (Strong's for the strong, Young's for the young...), I have come away with the understanding that hell in the common sense, meaning OT Hebrew "Sheol" and NT Greek "Hades" are no more than a hole in the ground, a grave. The NT "Gehenna" was a trash pit where refuse and occasional criminal bodies were burned, and a fire burned continuously, and the smoke ascended "forever." But when the trash was consumed, it was ash to be no more. This, after a great deal of soul searching, is what I believe the end fate of those who stand determined against G-d will be. They will be consumed, and their memory will be no more. The final word used for hell, NT "Tartaros," is a prison specifically for the fallen angels, I believe Grigori is one term I have heard, the extension into Greco-Roman mythology would be the "Titans." There are threads at CR that deal with this.

On the subject of sacrifice, I have tried in the past to get an ecumenical discussion going on the subject to explore the very issues you raise. But this much I see: even if I do not fully grasp the significance of sacrifice, I do understand it as a very widespread practice far beyond Christianity, far beyond monotheism, reaching across the vast majority of all religions in antiquity. According to Frazer, sacrifice was still being performed in rural Europe until quite recently. And while "strawman" has become a connotation for fallacious reasoning, the term actually comes from sympathetic magic, the strawman being the sacrifice in effigy. "The Golden Bough" spells (oops, pardon the pun) this out quite clearly across multiple interpretations among Pagan practice.

While I am unclear about Eastern religions in antiquity, I see nothing to indicate to me that sacrifice was not integral to shamanic practice. At the very least, shamanic practice seems to me upfront and "real" in that they are not bashful about where their next meal comes from. They kill it themselves, in front of whoever is there, the kids, grandma, the dog. It is a very natural thing to them. And it is reason and cause to give thanks to the Provider, the Creator, Great-Grandfather...otherwise known as G-d.

In the modern world, where we are sterilized to the thought of killing, and where we have others dedicated and out of sight to commit our murder of nature on a factory scale, we lose sight of the need for sacrifice. A hamburger isn't a cow, we aren't personally responsible for killing Bessie, or the tomato or lettuce or wheat for the bun, either. We pay somebody else to take that burden from us, and massage our conscience in that manner. Or so we think...

Our hands are bloody because nature -beautiful nature- requires it of us. And it is Good.

Certainly, there are those who with impudence and narcissistic pleasure trod upon the morals and ideas of the church, but this is something different I should think.

Indeed, it is. Apples and oranges. It is one thing to question, even to hold reservation. It is another to succomb to a moment of doubt, give in to fear and panic, and lash out in retaliation at something one doesn't understand. Of course, that impudence may have a completely different source, again one might confuse the messenger with the message. Any pastor, priest, rabbi, spiritual leader who is human and who is set on a pedestal, is capable of falling off of that pedestal. Cynicism towards the faith could just as easily be because a leader representing the faith let that person down or violated them.

Soon I will turn 47 years old and for most of those years I have strained to understand these two most important tenets of Christianity.
I'm hot on your heels, and I have been looking for a whole lot more than these two. Happy Birthday, by the way!

I am open to being wrong, and harbor no contrary opinions that I wouldn't give up in a heartbeat if they were to be proven ( and I accept inner guidance here) wrong. I have read and studied the Bible for most of my adult life, have prayed deeply and ernestly for God to help me in my unbelief.

This is very like myself.

I admit to not fully understanding the hypostatic union, and I believe that through the Christ we can be liberated from the slavery of our conditioned minds and egos. I believe that through unconditional surrender and love of God I can approach a state where wrong doing will be most unlikely, though as for that I have a very long journey ahead.

At the least, the teachings of Jesus and the rest of the Bible, if no more than morality mythos, provide us with a fully functional toolkit for dealing with life. At best, provided all of the promises made are sincere, there is a wonderful outlook for those who are genuine in their attempt to fully use that toolkit. And for those that refuse or deny or undermine that toolkit, there is reward awaiting them too. I doubt it is eternal, I personally think it will be over in a flash.

In short, I think very many people have a deep longing to connect with God but are shunned because of the things that they cannot believe. But if there was a switch to flip that would end the cognitive dissonance I feel and the disingenuous statements of belief we would have to make would most certainly mean a spiritual death.
Perhaps in the Mercy of Christ there is room for those such as we.
I feel your pain, and again I do not see it limited to Christianity. I do think people confuse messengers with the message, that is one of the underlying problems with hero worship. There is cognitive dissonance, there are disingenuous statements, as long as there are people and there are institutions and such things as political power exist...and they are not going away any time soon.

The trick is in being able to see past all of this crap...

Thank you Juan, it's nice to know that I'm not alone or crazy :)

Philippians 4:7

Mark

Kindest Regards, Paladin!

Thank you Juan, it's nice to know that I'm not alone or crazy :)
I can assure you that you are not alone. Crazy on the other hand...I guess it depends who you ask. :D

Philippians 4:7

Old habits die hard...when I look up a verse, I read a few in front and a few behind, to get the context:

Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.

Philippians 4:2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.

Philippians 4:3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Philippians 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Philippians 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

Philippians 4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

While 4:7 is a good verse, 4:8 speaks volumes to me. And the end of this passage is significant too.

;) Happy New Year!

earl,

Merry Meet ... and Greetings of the New Year!
In terms of my personal theology, there's much in Theosophy I could agree with. I just didn't like how many "facts" they made up:D.
This caught my eye. What do you mean by ""facts" they made up?" Could you be more specific, and/or give some examples?

juantoo3 said:
I would say that boundary is approximately the line between orthodox and liberal, over whether or not Jesus is a manifestation of G-d (either he is G-d personified or somehow an extension of G-d)
Not quite sure where I fall in terms of the question posed by this thread either, juantoo3, earl, et al. I think in the most general terms, if we can at least get past semantics, then I might be a Christian in the more orthodox sense. {Christ is the expression, or embodiment, of the 2nd Aspect of Godhead.}

But to quibble for just a second, I know my history, and the term `christos,' from `mashiah' or `moshiach,' was actually a title - conferred upon Jesus of Nazareth. It can be found extant in the Greek Mystery Traditions long before Jesus came to us, as well as in the Hebrew prophetic tradition. Yet it is also a feature of perhaps every world religious tradition: the expectation of a Saviour or Avatar. How is the Christian tradition anything new, or unique, against this backdrop?

Along these lines, I'm more inclined to say that Jesus of Nazareth was a(n) "exceptional teacher," since ANY person who so manifests the 2nd Aspect of Godhead/Godhood would surely fit this description. In this same category I would agree with those who include Krishna, the Buddha, Mohammed, Zoroaster and perhaps even a long string of historical figures who brought God's Word to mankind. The differences I see are in terms of `times & climes,' not so much in quality or importance of the message. After all, One God, One Truth, not - "whatever we FEEL like acknowledging at the moment" (as juantoo3 says, life's not always roses and rainbows!).

juantoo3 said:
All of the faults and frailties exhibited in Christianity seem to be equally on display, if one bothers to take a look, in every other major faith.
I would have to disagree with this statement (but please, do offer up some of your own observations in defence).

Buddhists, for example, have an overwhelmingly peaceful history, and have certainly not waged "holy" wars, or entire Crusades, against the "infidel." Islam, on the other hand, does seem to display on a fairly large scale the same proclivity to violence as does Christianity ... but only if the concept of jihad is interpreted narrowly, jealously and zealously. Even if we do not allow for the difference of 14 centuries, it is clear that the great Prophet did not intend what we are seeing today, any more than Christ expected or advocated the carnage and slaughter that have characterized Christianity.

Take Hinduism as another example of an important difference. Hindus do NOT, on the whole, have much difficulty incorporating other philosophies and ideologies into their rubric. They seldom rail on about how <Hinduism is the only true, RIGHT way to God> ... nor do they present ideas that are logically unpalatable as well as spiritually or morally impossible, to wit: vicarious atonement, or the substitution of one man's life for an entire planet's long & sordid history of transgressions.

Modern Christianity DOES ask one to swallow such a strange notion whole, and I would have to say that in this, there is divergence from the otherwise thoroughly Mithraic principles and ideology from which the entire Christian religion has been patterned. Perhaps it was understandable that in fashioning the new religion the church fathers opportuned themselves to insert a few modern conveniences, but it is precisely such *inventions* which offend many a thinking person today.

China Cat and Paladin, you two don't seem too partial to these doctrines, but neither are any of us who can see what has transpired. Strip away the add-ons, and one is left with that "old-time religion" more in keeping with a Pete Seeger song of the same name ... than the Christian hymn. Then again, "It will take us all to Heaven," I suppose, is exactly what the Universalists are saying, and if this makes me a Liberal Christian, then I prefer that to a <reserved for the chosen few> mentality. But to be fair, juantoo3, you are right about that part of it. The idea that <God plays favorites> is not exclusive to (some portions of) Christianity. Unfortunately, it is found in other traditions as well. :(

juantoo3 said:
Our hands are bloody because nature -beautiful nature- requires it of us.
I suppose it's a bit off-topic, but for the record, there are quite a few vegetarians who are *living proof* that nature does NOT demand animal sacrifice of us any longer (if in fact, it ever did). And then of course, we shouldn't confuse the killing of animals for food with religious sacrifice anyway. This invokes two different meanings of the word altogether.

In the spiritual sense it means "to make Holy," and my understanding is that we have some sort of atonement being sought, thus the *offering up* of something that is dear to us ... openly and selflessly in the presence of the Divine. It is not, after all, as if God the Almighty is going to swoop down and tangibly take from us the animal, vegetable or incense which we have offered. Perhaps its *essence* on the other hand, IS what matters, and perhaps in a way we do not yet understand, the `soul' of the thing DOES reach (up toward) Highest Heaven. If this be so, then I find it a bit ironic that we would first deprive an animal of the life *which God gave it*, then presume to return this life essence (spirit, soul, etc.) TO God, as if WE had anything to do with it except the wherewithal to insert the dagger. :eek:

At best, we might be saying, "See, I can go without food for you, which I would willingly and blithely do," but this is all. Wouldn't the greater sacrifice be the yielding to a higher will than our own, as epitomized for us in Christ's very real *struggle* at Gethsemane, wherein even the Son of God (2nd Aspect) acknowledges and hands itself over to the Father (1st Aspect)? Who made the Sacrifice here, God or Christ? Either it was a very real and voluntary giving on Christ's part, or it is surely meaningless!

The Apostle says it well in John 15:13: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." And I would say, let us stick to this appeal to the Heart, rather than invoke magic and superstition to try and explain Christ's Love for us. There is at least, no cognitive dissonance thus far. ;)

As the jury weighs in, I think we will be reminded to consider the words of the Bard of Avon:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other word would smell as sweet."​
--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)​
Remember, in context, Romeo has been asked by his lover to reject the family name, *if that is what offends*, and to be "new baptiz'd" as Juliet's lover. These are Shakespeare's words, not mine. Curious choice, n'est pas?

So, Salam and Shalom or ... Pax Vobiscum,

~Zag

.... I suppose I could have simply answered the question as posed in the title of this thread, but I actually cannot without knowing the definitions-and that's what makes this topic intriguing-it is in the liberal subforum & we liberals tend to be liberal with our definitions.:)

...Speaking of Andrew, wonder where he's gone.
What I think interesting about the question on this board is that it doesn't matter what anyone's definition is but your own. It is not are you a Christian according to this, that or the other definition or sect or denomination or whatever...simply 'Do you call yourself a Christian' Totally your decision, your definition, between you and your Christ.

Namaste and Happy New Year Andrew and Bandit, wherever you are, hope all is well with you and yours.

Welcome Zag. As to the issue of Theospohists making up facts Andrew was well versed in their literature. So about all I I know of it was what he posted. They would put forth as facts such notions as Jesus being an avatar while listing a variety of personages being incarnated into out of the Christ mold for example. While fanciful speculation, it was presented as factual. Another poster here, Thomas, had posted interesting evidnce to suggest some of the founders of theosophy were knowing charlatans. However, much of the Theosophical outlook I share. First, I look at Jesus as you do and to me Christ is the universal "God-realizing" force, so is present in all legitimate avenues to God realization.Good article along those lines by repected theologian James Cutsinger re Christianity and the perennial tradition at his website that addresses that.

My approach to Christianity, being affected by years of study of Buddhism is essentially a gnostic one, though I don't subscribe to the specifics of all of their cosmology. You seem to imply a view that the similarities at the core of the mystical approach to most religions is greater than any religious differences-that certainly is my view and consequently I love to explore the overlapping cores of a number of religions. While I'm not concerned with what to call myself, (could go with the line "who do you say I am?" but it's already been done;) ), I see nothing wrong with one utilizing multiple approaches to the Divine with the chief guidance being what I'd said in a thread I started here entitled, "A Truly Fundamental Chrisitianity." have a good one, earl

Back